LSAT Superprep books Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PLXTDNR

Bronze

LSAT Superprep books

Post by PLXTDNR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 am

Had a chat with the admissions counselor at my preferred school; he liked my LSAT score, but said if I wanted $$ it would be a good idea to re-take the LSAT and try for at least a 166 (I got a 158 last June, 162 this February). So, I'd like to get the LSAT superprep tests as I've taken just about all of the ones that are disclosed. I thought there were several of these books, but I'm only finding one. What gives? Is there just one, or do they publish one every 6 years or so? I NEED as many as I can get!!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Re: LSAT Superprep books

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

There's three Superprep books (A, B, C), each one being a February test from the 1990's. While I think they are good practice, don't read too much into the scores you get. The RC sections are dated and way too easy, and the games are ridiculously difficult and mostly unrepresentative of what you'd see on the newer tests.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:04 pm

PLXTDNR wrote:Had a chat with the admissions counselor at my preferred school; he liked my LSAT score, but said if I wanted $$ it would be a good idea to re-take the LSAT and try for at least a 166 (I got a 158 last June, 162 this February). So, I'd like to get the LSAT superprep tests as I've taken just about all of the ones that are disclosed. I thought there were several of these books, but I'm only finding one. What gives? Is there just one, or do they publish one every 6 years or so? I NEED as many as I can get!!
There is one LSAT SuperPrep book. It contain three February tests that were undisclosed prior to publication of the book (Feb 96 Feb 99 Feb 2000), pretty good short study guides for the three section types and very thorough detailed explanations for every question in each of the tests.

Everything in it was written by people that write LSAT questions. It is a must have, must read LSAT prep resource.

Although the study guides are short, they are very insightful into the minds of the test writers about many things that are useful to know to perform better.

The explanations for each of the questions in each of the included tests are excellent and a must read. There are a lot of good insights and information contained in them, given that they were written by question writers. It's them telling you how to solve the questions they wrote and also pointing out the traps they laid in each question in each incorrect answer choice. The explanation for each question contains a detailed large paragraph of text explanation for each of the five answer choices.

The games sections are more difficult than average (but not unusual or different game types than have appeared on recent tests like the above poster said, except for two games that are slightly unusual), the RC sections, in order to balance out the tests due to hard LG sections, are a little easier than average, but that in no way detracts from the usefulness of the book and included tests.

Also, re-using tests you have already taken is not a waste of time, it is actually a very good thing to do as long as you use them properly the second or third time around.

The only thing they are not useful for is getting an indication of your current score range if you take them again timed since you've already seen them, but who cares about that. You shouldn't be focusing on a particular score, the score conversion scale ('the curve' as many people incorrectly refer to it) anyway. Your mind should be focusing on and only thinking about and trying to solve as many questions as possible.

Here is a great thread my friend EarlCat, a fellow veteran LSAT teacher wrote up and posted about re-using PrepTests. Give it a read, you should find it helpful.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=150072
Last edited by Jeffort on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLXTDNR

Bronze

Post by PLXTDNR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Jeffort wrote:
PLXTDNR wrote:Had a chat with the admissions counselor at my preferred school; he liked my LSAT score, but said if I wanted $$ it would be a good idea to re-take the LSAT and try for at least a 166 (I got a 158 last June, 162 this February). So, I'd like to get the LSAT superprep tests as I've taken just about all of the ones that are disclosed. I thought there were several of these books, but I'm only finding one. What gives? Is there just one, or do they publish one every 6 years or so? I NEED as many as I can get!!
There is one LSAT SuperPrep book. It contain three February tests that were undisclosed prior to publication of the book (Feb 96 Feb 99 Feb 2000), pretty good short study guides for the three section types and very thorough detailed explanations for every question in each of the tests.

Everything in it was written by people that write LSAT questions. It is a must have, must read LSAT prep resource.

Although the study guides are short, they are very insightful into the minds of the test writers about many things that are useful to know to perform better.

The explanations for each of the questions in each of the included tests are excellent and a must read. There are a lot of good insights and information contained in them, given that they were written by question writers. It's them telling you how to solve the questions they wrote and also pointing out the traps they laid in each question in each incorrect answer choice. The explanation for each question contains a detailed large paragraph of text explanation for each of the five answer choices.

The games sections are more difficult than average (but not unusual or different game types than have appeared on recent tests like the above poster said, except for two games that are slightly unusual), the RC sections, in order to balance out the tests due to hard LG sections, are a little easier than average, but that in no way detracts from the usefulness of the book and included tests.

Also, re-using tests you have already taken is not a waste of time, it is actually a very good thing to do as long as you use them properly the second or third time around. The only thing they are not useful for is getting an indication of your current score range if you take them again timed since you've already seen them, but who cares about that. You shouldn't be focusing on a particular score, the scale ('the curve' as people incorrectly call it) anyway. Your mind should be focusing on and only thinking about and trying to solve as many questions as possible.

Here is a great thread my friend EarlCat, a fellow veteran LSAT teacher wrote up and posted about re-using PrepTests. Give it a read, you should find it helpful.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=150072
Thanks Jeffort, that's what I was looking for - knew they (it) contained the undisclosed tests, but figured there'd be more than one!

My only advice to anyone taking the test - don't take the Feb one unless you have no choice! I am SO dying to know what I missed - I think I rocked the games (unusual for me), which meant I should have done much better - but stressing thinking maybe I blew RC or LR! So, June here I come :)

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Glad I could help you PLXTDNR.

Good luck preparing for June. I'm always around checking the board and my PM inbox for important questions that pop up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Jeffort wrote:Glad I could help you PLXTDNR.

Good luck preparing for June. I'm always around checking the board and my PM inbox for important questions that pop up.
Hello, Jeffort

Do you recommend studying Superprep book/explanation before they start prepping to your students?

I do not know what prep I need to start to use for my timed test~

Appreciate your help as always~!!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Jeffort wrote:Glad I could help you PLXTDNR.

Hello, Jeffort

Do you recommend studying Superprep book/explanation before they start prepping to your students?

I do not know what prep I need to start to use for my timed test~

Appreciate your help as always~!!
Reading the book would constitute prepping, so I'm not sure if you mean before taking a class, reading other books or taking a practice test.

If you mean for people that are complete LSAT virgins that have never taken a practice test, worked any problems, etc. I say read the first three pages of the Superprep, then take a practice test (not one of the three that are in the book, use the free June 2007 one for instance) timed to start off. After that, read the study guides in the book.

It helps to have taken at least one practice test before reading the book or starting any form of prep (a class, other prep books like the LRB/LGB, etc.) so that you have a frame of reference to know what the heck the book is talking about. I also believe it is a good idea to start prep by taking a timed practice test in order to get a bit familiar with the test and its format. I call it baptism by fire since it not only gives you a cold starting point score to measure progress from, but also makes it clear that it is a difficult test to be taken seriously in order to achieve a high score.

Once having taken at least one timed (or even untimed) full practice test, then read the study guides. This of course applies to people just starting to prep, but the book is equally as useful to people that have already been prepping in some way for a while.

Unless one has taken all other available tests already and needs a few fresh ones they've never seen before to take timed shortly before test day, I recommend NOT doing the tests in the book timed. Instead, do two pages of questions per section at a comfortable pace, then read the explanations for those questions, then do the next two page fold of questions, read the explanations, lather rinse repeat.

For the LG sections, just do one page (game) at a time before reading the explanations. The LG explanations are not great for teaching how to diagram or set-up a game and diagram different types of rules the way other good prep books and prep classes teach, but the explanations still contain valuable insights. The book does not teach any particular diagramming system.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Awesome, I will go with your recommendation!

I am pretty familiar with the LSAT questions so far, but I did not fully prep the whole sections

I will do a timed or untimed test to have a reality check and use the Superprep as a primer before I dive into the prep world. Thx! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”