Consecutive Tests? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Clearly

Gold

Consecutive Tests?

Post by Clearly » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:48 pm

I wonder if taking consecutive tests as I will be doing would allow you to make an assumption about the test. I took Feb, and our logic games were all seq, matching, or seq+matching. I was surprised by the lack of a binary selection game. Knowing that they didn't issue a binary game on the last test, I'm assuming they will on this test, and I'd be shocked to see 8 games in a row with none of them involving binary distribution. I think there might have been 1 conditional rule on the whole Feb LG section. Anyone think there's any credence to this idea?

theaether

Bronze

Re: Consecutive Tests?

Post by theaether » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I wonder if taking consecutive tests as I will be doing would allow you to make an assumption about the test. I took Feb, and our logic games were all seq, matching, or seq+matching. I was surprised by the lack of a binary selection game. Knowing that they didn't issue a binary game on the last test, I'm assuming they will on this test, and I'd be shocked to see 8 games in a row with none of them involving binary distribution. I think there might have been 1 conditional rule on the whole Feb LG section. Anyone think there's any credence to this idea?
just get good at all the types
trying to forecast a type does not produce actionable results
even if the next test had 100% of one type of game, they can really screw with the variables and make them more complex than usual, or use only the hardest question types, etc.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I wonder if taking consecutive tests as I will be doing would allow you to make an assumption about the test. I took Feb, and our logic games were all seq, matching, or seq+matching. I was surprised by the lack of a binary selection game. Knowing that they didn't issue a binary game on the last test, I'm assuming they will on this test, and I'd be shocked to see 8 games in a row with none of them involving binary distribution. I think there might have been 1 conditional rule on the whole Feb LG section. Anyone think there's any credence to this idea?
There is no credence to the idea. There is no way to accurately predict the exact combination of game types and variations of the types that will appear on an upcoming test. The thing you can predict is that there will be some linear games and grouping games, but which variations/sub-types is random.

At least one or more games will involve some form of numerical distribution beyond the basic 6 variables to plug into six slots type of thing. It can appear in an advanced form in either sequencing/linear or grouping types, meaning in pretty much any game. Advanced/more difficult forms of numerical distribution are tested in every logic game section and frequently is the concept that makes the hardest/harder games the ones lots of people have trouble with.

You should prepare for and get good at doing all types. Occasionally an odd-ball rare type that hasn't appeared for years (even up to 10 or more years) shows up and joins the party to make a brief appearance. Circular sequencing is one of those types that comes out of its cave every once in a while, but rarely. People in the last few years have reported encountering a circular sequencing game in their experimental section, FYI.

So basically, learn all the types.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 am

Just like to leave it on the record that I'm not asking "Gee, should I forget all games except binary distribution games?" I'm just pointing out that I perceive the likelihood of seeing 8 straight games without a binary to be slim. I was pissed to see none on Feb, I usually finish them in about 3 min and earn an extra few minutes to double check other game types.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”