PT 32-4-20 Disagree Question between Dana and Pat Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
timmydoeslsat

Bronze

PT 32-4-20 Disagree Question between Dana and Pat

Post by timmydoeslsat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 pm

I have it narrowed to B and E.

Dana would disagree with B.

Dana would agree with E.

That much is certain for me. Here is my issue with the correct answer as I understand this problem right now.

If you believe that Pat would agree with B: All children should learn to adapt to various education methods, then you would have to say that Pat would disagree with E would you not?

If you believe that all children should learn to adapt to various methods, then how would you be able to avoid an opinion on whether sometimes it is desirable to tailor a method to the way a child learns best. You would not, you would believe that it is not sometimes desirable if you believed (B).

In short, it seems to be simple in my eyes. If you believe E, you don't believe B. (Like Dana). There is no wiggle room for me.

LexLeon

Bronze

Re: PT 32-4-20 Disagree Question between Dana and Pat

Post by LexLeon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 pm

"If you believe that Pat would agree with B: All children should learn to adapt to various education methods, then you would have to say that Pat would disagree with E would you not?"

No, I believe you are mistaken there. Pat could contend that all children should learn to adapt to various educational methods, yet that it is also sometimes desirable to tailor educational methods to the way a child learns best. For, the way the child learns best may well be one of the "various education methods" that Pat thinks all children should adapt to.

"If you believe that all children should learn to adapt to various methods, then how would you be able to avoid an opinion on whether sometimes it is desirable to tailor a method to the way a child learns best. You would not, you would believe that it is not sometimes desirable if you believed (B)."

If someone believes (B), it may in fact entail (E), depending on whether the educational method a child learns best through is among the "various ones" mentioned above.

On this question, (B) is the credited response because Dana states that the manner of learning to which a child has adapted should always determine the method used to educate that child. Whereas Patrick rejects her claim on, apparently, the basis of its universality, in stating that the fruits of various learning methods--not just one's always determined by what the child is adapted to--are invaluable in this world. Thus, they probably agree that at least sometimes it would be desirable for the way in which a child is educated to match the way the child learns best--that's just reasonable (regardless, the stimulus provides almost no evidence to support (E)). Dana, however, believes that all children should always be educated according to this axiom, when Patrick does not.

The "sometimes" in (E) could be tricky: it does not imply "not always."

timmydoeslsat

Bronze

Post by timmydoeslsat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Thank you LexLeon for the response.

Is it not the case that it must be true that the only way Pat would agree with statement (E) is that the "somtimes" = situations of various methods is the way that child learns best?

If it is not, I find my situation above to hold.

Thoughts?

lsatprep180

New

Post by lsatprep180 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:06 am

The keyword in E is "sometimes". It's an incredibly imprecise word. Pat might agree that every now and again it makes sense to tailor a learning method to suit a child's needs.

To disagree with E, Pat would have to agree with this extreme statement: "You should never, ever adapt a teaching method to a child's needs, even if they would learn much better with the adapted method". (The negation of "sometimes" is "never".)

Note that Pat's reply is not absolute. They just say "No, not always". This leaves open the possibility that a tailored teaching style could work in some cases. Pat just thinks that in general children should be exposed to different methods.

B and E aren't talking about exactly the same thing. You might have to learn to adapt to various methods (answer choice B) even if you "sometimes" are taught using a method that's tailored for you (answer choice E).

Dana's final sentence supports the fact that they disagree with B. Dana says that an accustomed style of learning should "always" dictate teaching methods. Meanwhile, Dana says that it is "invaluable" that children learn to adapt. But the key point is that you can learn to adapt to different methods even if "sometimes" a method is adapted for you.

I hope that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”