PowerScore, blueprint, Manhattan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ironscepter

New

PowerScore, blueprint, Manhattan

Post by ironscepter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 am

Hi
In my local craigslist, I see quite a few used blueprint prep books on sale but hardly any Manhattan prep.
There used to be a lot of PowerScore prep books up for sale few months back but I rarely them these days.
Also, there are three major prep courses in my neighborhood; Kaplan, Testmasters and blueprint.

Due to my financial situation I decided to buy used books instead of taking prep courses.
However, I was told that many courses are not worth the high price only if you prefer to study alone.

Unfortunately I read some of the prep books explanations and I wasn't impressed by them. It seems as if many of the explanations were hastly written and that live instructors were necessary to suppliment the explanations.

Could you recommend good prep books that are detail and thorough enough that you don't really need live or online instructors to understand the explanations?

Speaking of which, all of the Blueprint sales I see consist of five books for $150. Is that a good deal? I think the seller was the one that told me that the lectures were not worth the price and that five books are all I needed to learn the materials.

Lastly, are the online courses pre-recorded so that I may rewind the lecture portion again and again if necessary?

Thanks

PDaddy

Gold

Re: PowerScore, blueprint, Manhattan

Post by PDaddy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:38 am

ironscepter wrote:However, I was told that many courses are not worth the high price only if you prefer to study alone.

Huh? This sentence is unintelligible.

That having been said, my recommendation is to use the PowerScore Bibles and then study the Manhattan system. Both are very useful for different things. PowerScore is weak on RC but absolutely the best for LG. Manhattan's RC is better, while its LR is as good as PowerScore. Manhattan LG is weak and mostly reinforces what you will already learn from PowerScore.

Other good supplements include the LSAC SuperPrep, all of the Next 10/10 More, LSAT tests #43-65, and a subscription to the Scientific American and/or the Wall Street Journal, which you should read for 30-60 minutes daily until you take the exam.

That's all you need.

ironscepter

New

Post by ironscepter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:24 pm

By the way, I see that Powerscores have quite a few books to choose from.
Which books are recommended? Do I need anymore than those three popular books?

Thanks

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Assuming that you are not located in Texas, then consider Testmasters in addition to PowerScore, Manhattan & Blueprint. (I believe that the Texas Testmasters is different than the one based in California.)

P.S. Check Amazon.com to compare book prices.

SPE155

New

Post by SPE155 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Which method will best benefit you depends on your method of learning. This is the outcome I came to after spending too much money on prep material and tutors (my schedule did not allow for a class). Tutors drilling me and reading preps books (I used powerscore and manhattan) didn't help me truly understand the material. Therefore, I did not do as well as I would have liked on my first LSAT attempt. When I prepared for the retake I used the Blueprint system (the online version), and it worked very well for me, being able to go through the online lessons at my own pace, and mostly the visual aspect of the videos helped to understand the information. So before you pick a study method here is my advice:

1.) Spend the money on getting a good system not someone's leftovers - its worth the investment and it will honestly save you money in the long term by not later realizing you need better prep material.

2.) Determine what kind of learner you are and pursue a study technique which best focuses on it - if you learn better by reading the material yourself go with Powerscore or Manhattan, otherwise I would use Blueprint.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proxy

New

Post by proxy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

ironscepter wrote:By the way, I see that Powerscores have quite a few books to choose from.

Thanks
You want these:
Powerscore Logic Games Bible
Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible
Manhattan Reading Comprehension

These are optional, but I really like them:
Manhattan Logic Games
Manhattan Logical Reasoning

avoid the Powerscore Reading Comprehension Bible. Total waste of time in my opinion.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

^ OP, that is correct ^^^^^

haas

New

Post by haas » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:26 pm

All three of these companies are lame. Your best bet is Velocity, it's run by Dave Hall who got THREE perfect LSAT scores. He's light years ahead of these other twerps.

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 pm

proxy wrote:
ironscepter wrote:By the way, I see that Powerscores have quite a few books to choose from.

Thanks
You want these:
Powerscore Logic Games Bible
Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible
Manhattan Reading Comprehension

These are optional, but I really like them:
Manhattan Logic Games
Manhattan Logical Reasoning

avoid the Powerscore Reading Comprehension Bible. Total waste of time in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more with this post. Listen to this guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”