Confusion with First Diagnostic Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ace75

New

Confusion with First Diagnostic

Post by ace75 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 am

Hi guys,

I usually come here pretty often, but have never posted before. I have an issue concerning my first diagnostic, as when I took it (completely cold and timed with a proctor) my final score was a 149. After getting my score however, I realized I had accidentally, and stupidly, skipped the final six questions on the RC section, which happened to also be one of my stronger sections. The issue had nothing to do with time, as I had what seemed like 10 minutes remaining after having answered 20 out of the 26 questions, but just the fact that I mistakenly thought the section ended at 20 questions. I'm frustrated, as I feel I can't know for sure how I would have done, and curious how those questions are weighted individually and what effect they could have possibly had on my score. Also, I was wondering if the best thing to do was just to redo another pt to get a better idea of my starting point, or if I could just get away with estimating conservatively and tacking on a few points to my score?

Thanks and any advice is much appreciated.

tmon

Silver

Re: Confusion with First Diagnostic

Post by tmon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:36 am

ace75 wrote:Hi guys,

I usually come here pretty often, but have never posted before. I have an issue concerning my first diagnostic, as when I took it (completely cold and timed with a proctor) my final score was a 149. After getting my score however, I realized I had accidentally, and stupidly, skipped the final six questions on the RC section, which happened to also be one of my stronger sections. The issue had nothing to do with time, as I had what seemed like 10 minutes remaining after having answered 20 out of the 26 questions, but just the fact that I mistakenly thought the section ended at 20 questions. I'm frustrated, as I feel I can't know for sure how I would have done, and curious how those questions are weighted individually and what effect they could have possibly had on my score. Also, I was wondering if the best thing to do was just to redo another pt to get a better idea of my starting point, or if I could just get away with estimating conservatively and tacking on a few points to my score?

Thanks and any advice is much appreciated.
It's not that big a deal, especially if you're self-studying. If you're using a tutor or in a class you might want to note it, just so they know. Your diagnostic is mostly just to gauge where you're starting from generally, so you know you're around a 150 to start. If you want to be neurotic about it, take the percentage of correct questions of those you did in RC and just translate that to however many more you'd expect to get. Really though, don't worry about it. You'll take more PTs and have more scores, and next time you wont skip questions. Good luck!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 am

This ^^^
Your diag is about figuring out strengths and weaknesses, as well as just being a general barometer for where you're starting so that you can track improvement.

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:13 am

Also all the questions are weighted the same, so had you gotten all six right it would add 6 points to your raw score.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:05 pm

tdicks wrote:Also all the questions are weighted the same, so had you gotten all six right it would add 6 points to your raw score.
The questions are weighted the same for a raw score, but at different parts of the curve, they increase your score by different amounts.

To OP - do you have access to your score sheet, the correct answers, and the score conversion chart? If so, assume that you got a number correct on the last passage similar to the other passages, and then check that number on the score conversion chart. In all honesty, though, it probably won't change your score that much. I'd guess your baseline is 150 +/- 2-3 pts, and go from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ace75

New

Post by ace75 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, it really helps.
To OP - do you have access to your score sheet, the correct answers, and the score conversion chart? If so, assume that you got a number correct on the last passage similar to the other passages, and then check that number on the score conversion chart. In all honesty, though, it probably won't change your score that much. I'd guess your baseline is 150 +/- 2-3 pts, and go from there.
I did have access to my score sheet and the correct answers, and figured I'd take your and the other posters' advice and try and weight it as close to an equal percentage as on the passages I did answer. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to the score conversion chart, though I guess it's nothing to fret over as the difference in my score likely would have been negligible anyway.

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Better to make this mistake on a diagnostic test sitting, then on the real thing !

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Better to make this mistake on a diagnostic test sitting, then on the real thing !
Holy shit I'd be pissed if I accidentally skipped 6 questions on the real thing....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”