shooting for 170 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bradleydee16

New

shooting for 170

Post by bradleydee16 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:23 pm

I have taken the LSAT once and got a 161. My PTs averaged between 164&165. I work 50+ hrs a week so I studied after work or on lunch. I am planning on going to law school in a couple of years. I'll be moving in October and will be in an area where I can take a prep course. Between my savings and the GI Bill my tuition will be fully covered so I want to shoot for the best possible school. That being said my goal is a 170. Is it worth taking a prep course at this point or is that more for people who have never studied for the LSAT?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: shooting for 170

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 pm

The choice of whether or not to enroll in an LSAT prep course is going to be different for everyone. IMO, it depends mostly upon what kind of student you are and how you learn different types of material.

For people who need a lot of structure or who need things verbally explained to them, etc. enrolling in an LSAT program may be particularly advantageous.

However, some people are able to construct their own lesson plans and study schedules and are capable of teaching themselves the material. So, for them enrolling in such a program might not be the best choice.

Ideally, you should pick a study plan that works the best for you and your learning type. Think honestly about what kind of student you are. Do you ask a lot of questions? Upon reading your material from a textbook do you understand it? Or, do you retain most information through explanation? Are you good at time-management? Can you stay on task? etc.

IMO, this is what should determine your decision to enroll in a class or not.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Prep classes cost money, but other than that I don't see much downside. The class will give you access to an instructor who understands the test better than you do, and a set schedule that will make it tougher to skip studying after a long day of work. I also work full time and took a class this past Spring. Having already scored a 166 I had the same concerns about the course being too basic, but that certainly wasn't the case and I don't regret enrolling at all.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:21 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:I didn't take a class and took like 40 practice tests and read some books and I scored 17x.
TCR.

As long as you do timed sections and take PTs (and you can buy books from amazon or whatever to work through if you'd like), you should be able to hit 17x. But you have to be ready to take 35, 40, 45 PTs to bump that score up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”