Who loves studying for this test? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bdeebs

Bronze

Who loves studying for this test?

Post by bdeebs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:12 am

I don't know if I'm just in the honeymoon phase of studying or what, but I absolutely love studying for, and taking these tests. I'm curious if that is as weird among the subset of people who want to be lawyers as it probably is to the general population.

notaznguy

Bronze

Re: Who loves studying for this test?

Post by notaznguy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:40 am

I'm still studying for the LSAT and it is the absolute worst thing in the world.

Okay it's not the worst thing, but I really hate it. I hate having to force myself to take a PT, having to force myself to drill and review, forcing myself to do it perfectly. I hate how this single test will determine the rest of your life.

I hate it all. I wish I could go back to what life was like before I even heard of the LSAT.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:59 am

bdeebs wrote:I don't know if I'm just in the honeymoon phase of studying or what, but I absolutely love studying for, and taking these tests. I'm curious if that is as weird among the subset of people who want to be lawyers as it probably is to the general population.
Probably the best attitude to have about the test. I went back and forth depending on external circumstances that I was dealing with. Use that energy to your advantage (just dont overdo it)

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:01 pm

bdeebs wrote:I don't know if I'm just in the honeymoon phase of studying or what, but I absolutely love studying for, and taking these tests. I'm curious if that is as weird among the subset of people who want to be lawyers as it probably is to the general population.

I began to thoroughly enjoy the test once I saw improvement in my scores, so you're def not alone on feeling that way

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:27 pm

gaud wrote:

I began to thoroughly enjoy the test once I saw improvement in my scores, so you're def not alone on feeling that way
WORD!

1. ONLY IF I saw improvement in my scores
2. ONLY IF I can FINISH a game in 6 minutes :mrgreen:
Last edited by lovejopd on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm

lovejopd wrote:
gaud wrote:

WORD!

1. ONLY IF I saw improvement in my scores
.Mistake

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:40 pm

I could do logic games all day for fun. They're better than sudokus or crosswords for sure.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I could do logic games all day for fun. They're better than sudokus or crosswords for sure.
I quite like them as well. What I don't like, however, is doing them on test day. The pressure gets to me. >.<

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 pm

I go back and forth with it. I'm studying reading comp and hating it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 am

I...

1. Laud you for your attitude;
2. Think such an attitude is, for most people, utterly key to success; and
3. Am thankful that I share it and encourage you to kindle your passion.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 am

I loved prepping for the test and love the LSAT. The summer I prepped leading up to test day, I was excited and looked forward to working more problems or taking a practice test each day. On the two days per week I took off to prevent burnout and to have a life and stuff I missed the test and thought about her with fond thoughts while I was out and about.

I was excited the day before the test and celebrated (a little too much once I noticed how many beers were gone from the 12-pack). Test day morning I was a little nervous when I woke up since it was game day but that passed quickly once I got up.

I was exited the day I'd been training for had arrived and that I would get to see a new LSAT. I had no fear of the test and was happy to have an official date with her.

Attitude going into the test is important.

Stressed out/petrified with fear/filled with anxiety/burnt out are bad states of mind for performance. Overconfidence/being cocky/arrogance in certain ways can also be bad since it tends to lead to people not concentrating as hard and not being as careful due to thoughts such as "Oh I've got this mastered, no problem, I'll sail through it" and then they fall for a bunch of sucker choice answers because they are not concentrating 100%/get a little careless/mentally lazy due to overconfidence.
notaznguy wrote:I'm still studying for the LSAT and it is the absolute worst thing in the world.

Okay it's not the worst thing, but I really hate it. I hate having to force myself to take a PT, having to force myself to drill and review, forcing myself to do it perfectly. I hate how this single test will determine the rest of your life.

I hate it all. I wish I could go back to what life was like before I even heard of the LSAT.
Dude, the test does not determine the rest of your life. You should really re-think your plans.

Having self discipline problems and hatred about getting yourself to do the study/homework to prepare for the LSAT is a big red flag that says law school may not be the best path for you.

In law school you have to read hundreds of pages per week to be prepared for classes each day and to be prepared for exams. It's up to your self discipline to do the reading, they don't monitor whether you're doing it or not in ways some classes in UG and high school do. If you don't do the reading, your warning/reminder about doing it will be in the form of your grades.

You've been posting a lot of threads and asking a lot of the same/similar LSAT questions (many of them very basic) for approximately two years now and don't seem to be enjoying it or doing well with it. My question for you: Are you being pressured by your family to go to lawschool and become a lawyer or is it something you really want to do? I ask because I'm concerned.

If you do not like reading many pages of text and dealing with paperwork on a daily basis you will be miserable in law school and as a lawyer.

--ImageRemoved--

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:43 am

Jeffort wrote:I loved prepping for the test and love the LSAT. The summer I prepped leading up to test day, I was excited and looked forward to working more problems or taking a practice test each day. On the two days per week I took off to prevent burnout and to have a life and stuff I missed the test and thought about her with fond thoughts while I was out and about.

I was excited the day before the test and celebrated (a little too much once I noticed how many beers were gone from the 12-pack). Test day morning I was a little nervous when I woke up since it was game day but that passed quickly once I got up.

I was exited the day I'd been training for had arrived and that I would get to see a new LSAT. I had no fear of the test and was happy to have an official date with her.

Attitude going into the test is important.

Stressed out/petrified with fear/filled with anxiety/burnt out are bad states of mind for performance. Overconfidence/being cocky/arrogance in certain ways can also be bad since it tends to lead to people not concentrating as hard and not being as careful due to thoughts such as "Oh I've got this mastered, no problem, I'll sail through it" and then they fall for a bunch of sucker choice answers because they are not concentrating 100%/get a little careless/mentally lazy due to overconfidence.
notaznguy wrote:I'm still studying for the LSAT and it is the absolute worst thing in the world.

Dude, the test does not determine the rest of your life. You should really re-think your plans.

Having self discipline problems and hatred about getting yourself to do the study/homework to prepare for the LSAT is a big red flag that says law school may not be the best path for you.

In law school you have to read hundreds of pages per week to be prepared for classes each day and to be prepared for exams. It's up to your self discipline to do the reading, they don't monitor whether you're doing it or not in ways some classes in UG and high school do. If you don't do the reading, your warning/reminder about doing it will be in the form of your grades.

You've been posting a lot of threads and asking a lot of the same/similar LSAT questions (many of them very basic) for approximately two years now and don't seem to be enjoying it or doing well with it. My question for you: Are you being pressured by your family to go to lawschool and become a lawyer or is it something you really want to do? I ask because I'm concerned.

If you do not like reading many pages of text and dealing with paperwork on a daily basis you will be miserable in law school and as a lawyer.

--ImageRemoved--
Nice post, I learned a lesson today by brainwashing and telling myself that LSAT is not really a bitch :mrgreen:

rbkl

New

Post by rbkl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am

It's definitely a lot more pleasant than other tests. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 pm

I hate you all.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:I hate you all.
<3

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
<3
</3

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
<3
</3

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
<3
</3
We all love you <3

Skunky Bumps

New

Post by Skunky Bumps » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:26 am

The studying isn't bad. It's the seeming interminable nature of it. I started looking at this shit in the middle of summer, 20 hrs/week for 5 weeks, and now I'm studying while taking 20 credit hours. I wanna be done with this motherfucker, and Saturday afternoon will be a sweet day indeed.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm

OP, i really appreciate your post. i've started thinking about the lsat in a way i haven't before. it's true, the only way to be successful at something is to thoroughly enjoy it.

truly appreciated.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 am

OP is the credited response. The real trick is to be able to do this when you start scoring lower because the test focus switched. 8)

Jeffort is dead right. I've warned you a few times too, Azn. I hope you do well, all the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 am

I do. Who the heck doesn't love knowing random facts (dinosaurs, global warming, women overcoming social barriers, chlorofluorocarbons, meteors, lawyers/politician fallacies, advertisement fallacies, high blood pressure, computing, and highway accidents)?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 am

KevinP wrote:I do. Who the heck doesn't love knowing random facts (dinosaurs, global warming, women overcoming social barriers, chlorofluorocarbons, meteors, lawyers/politician fallacies, advertisement fallacies, high blood pressure, computing, and highway accidents)?
It really is very educational and is better than the Discovery channel and the Discovery Science channel. I love those channels.

Whenever I watch a show on either one, every couple of minutes I say stuff out loud like "that's what PrepTest #X, LR section Y, Q# Z is about!"

When non-LSAT/non-law school friends are over at the time watching the shows with me, they tend to get annoyed when I keep blurting out LSAT PT references and am excited about it.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Skunky Bumps wrote:The studying isn't bad. It's the seeming interminable nature of it. I started looking at this shit in the middle of summer, 20 hrs/week for 5 weeks, and now I'm studying while taking 20 credit hours. I wanna be done with this motherfucker, and Saturday afternoon will be a sweet day indeed.
Even thought I do enjoy the material, I feel the exact same way. it's been a long few months (especially studying while at school). I'll be glad to be done with it on Saturday. Even if I eventually have to retake, I'll be so glad to be done with it for a few months and just focus on school for the rest of the semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”