Retaking--Should I take a class? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mr.Binks

Silver

Retaking--Should I take a class?

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Evening all,

So I have taken the LSAT twice and gone through the Powerscore books to prep. Unfortunately, my scores were less than satisfactory, so I am going to have to retake for a third time in June and hope to apply for ED for the 2013 cycle.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take a Testmasters' course or if I should just use one of the recommended study plans on this site? Anyone have any experience with Testmasters?

Thanks all.

Good luck to those retaking.

pcwcecac

Bronze

Re: Retaking--Should I take a class?

Post by pcwcecac » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 pm

I took the TM course. They are pretty good. I have some discipline issues so TM helped me stay on track. The content of the course is all available on the web, but scattered. If your problem is that of discipline, then it might be effective.

mlipsco

New

Post by mlipsco » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 pm

I would recommend it - I was in a similar boat with two less-than-satisfying scores (same both times). I took the Kaplan Advanced course online, paid decent attention to the classes, and increased my score by 5 points.

Best of luck!

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Well here's the thing: I am already familiar with the question types and how to approach most of them. Would it really be worth it to invest $1000+ in a class or would I be better off honing my prep strategy?

I just feel as if the majority of the class is going to be tailored towards people who have not yet begun studying, so it will be dreadfully annoying as well as a huge waste of money.

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Well here's the thing: I am already familiar with the question types and how to approach most of them. Would it really be worth it to invest $1000+ in a class or would I be better off honing my prep strategy?

I just feel as if the majority of the class is going to be tailored towards people who have not yet begun studying, so it will be dreadfully annoying as well as a huge waste of money.
I feared the same thing after taking the test 3 times, I'm taking Velocity (a video-based course, $600) and am definitely learning things I didn't get from PowerScore and that I find extremely helpful. Won't be able to tell you if it's worth it to me until after February. I think I will benefit just from the structure, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I'd self study. save the cash; i think you're right in thinking that most classes you could take will be tailored to those without as much LSAT knowledge as you.

check out JMJ's retake guide. as someone who retook the LSAT I can say his plan is something I would strive to work with if I were to go for a third attempt again

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Well here's the thing: I am already familiar with the question types and how to approach most of them. Would it really be worth it to invest $1000+ in a class or would I be better off honing my prep strategy?

Like I said in the above post, it's the discipline that really helped me. You could get a private tutor and schedule sessions such that you'd be forced to do X amount of practice in between each section and have the tutor help identify your weaknesses via the problems you got wrong.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm

I think it depends on which class you take. Like another poster said, maybe velocity would be a good idea? What courses are you looking at now?

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Evening all,

So I have taken the LSAT twice and gone through the Powerscore books to prep. Unfortunately, my scores were less than satisfactory, so I am going to have to retake for a third time in June and hope to apply for ED for the 2013 cycle.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take a Testmasters' course or if I should just use one of the recommended study plans on this site? Anyone have any experience with Testmasters?

Thanks all.

Good luck to those retaking.
If you take a class be sure to give it back when you're done...

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:24 pm

CorkBoard wrote:

I think it depends on which class you take. Like another poster said, maybe velocity would be a good idea? What courses are you looking at now?
I've been looking at a Testmasters class that they offer in-person around my area. I haven't looked at Velocity in depth yet, but I will definitely consider it.

Corkboard - I understand that you're retaking as well. What's your plan?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”