Retake: Done Every LSAT Prep Test - What Now? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lsat2011

New

Retake: Done Every LSAT Prep Test - What Now?

Post by lsat2011 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:34 am

I'm planning to retake the LSAT next June but I've already done every LSAT prep test that has ever been released. Any advice on how I should approach this retake? Thanks!

suspicious android

Silver

Re: Retake: Done Every LSAT Prep Test - What Now?

Post by suspicious android » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 am

Do them again. Having never seen a test before is nice, but not nearly as important for your prep as it's made out to be. Just don't even bother computing your scaled score (165, 170, etc.) when redoing a test. Focus on your individual section score and figure out where your weaknesses are. If you did every test and you didn't get the score you want, you need to change something up anyway. Doing another 30 "new" tests wouldn't really be the way to go if that were an option.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:07 am

Stop doing practice tests. I took 25 leading up to June (in one and a half months), but only took 10 up to my retake in October (3 months, didn't do any till basically last month). The results are self-evident.

Focus on drilling question types, not on taking whole tests. At this point, the only reason to take whole tests is to get used to the fatigue. If you've already taken every practice test in existence, you HAVE to start drilling by question type. You need to start spotting patterns in questions, the odds of types of answers being right, etc. if you want to improve.

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:23 am

lsat2011 wrote:I'm planning to retake the LSAT next June but I've already done every LSAT prep test that has ever been released. Any advice on how I should approach this retake? Thanks!
I was in the same boat as you, and I agree with the poster above- retaking tests you've already done has immense value. If you're genuinely "figuring out" the questions, it will further solidify LSAT concepts in your mind.

1) First of all, if you're doing full tests, try to choose tests you're the least familiar with. Logic games have great replay value, and so do logical reasoning problems, albeit to a lesser extent. Reading comprehension has the least replay value, and this is probably where the biggest score inflation will come from on your PT retakes. Generally, the further in the past you took the test, the better suited it is for retaking.

2) Make a chart/graph (in Word or Excel) of all your old scores. Note the scores you got for each section, and the overall scaled score. Then, when you retake a test, have a space to plug in your new score next to your old score. Makes notes as to why your score went up in another column. Make sure you account for any memorized questions so you don't get overly excited about your 176! Also, make noted about the questions you missed and why you missed them. Did you miss any questions you correctly answered previously? Correctly answer a question you missed before? Why? Was it luck? Did you memorize it? Did you go through the proper steps for figuring it out?

3) Whatever your old score was, shoot for 170+ on every PT retake. Focus, if you can, on a) tests you've scored the lowest on, and b) newer tests.

4) Have you done the "Superprep" tests? They're the only official released February LSAT tests, and they're from the late 90's. Apparently the games are really hard, but the tests were legit LSATs administered by the LSAC. I never had a chance to use them, but if you're out of options, look into these.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:18 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 am

lsat2011 wrote:I'm planning to retake the LSAT next June but I've already done every LSAT prep test that has ever been released. Any advice on how I should approach this retake? Thanks!
Remember you'll have the December 2011 preptest at your disposal soon, too.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:47 am

I'm quoting myself and re-posting this so that it stands out to help students and also to allow the volunteer contributing LSAT experts to have more free time available to answer specific detailed questions that may not have been answered many times before on this or other LSAT study forums since the topic of this thread is a frequently asked question/complaint.
Jeffort wrote:
Regarding running out of LSAT PrepTest materials, read this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=150072

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”