Last LR questions first? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TIKITEMBO

Silver

Last LR questions first?

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:31 pm

I know I've read a few threads on this but can't seem to find them. I'm contemplating starting at question 16 in each LR section first and trying to complete the last 10 questions first in 15-18ish minutes and then using the rest of the time to go back and get the easy questions from the first 15.

I never have problems with the first 15 but when time is running out and I have to read something more complex in the last 10 (especially when we're down to the last few minutes) my brain freezes and I panic only thinking about how the questions are more difficult and I won't be able to finish them. I'm also running about 2-3 minutes overtime and I think it's due to this. Doing those first (or as many as I can in that time and then forcing myself to go to the easy questions) will help lessen that problem.

Anyone else tried this?

barneytrouble

Bronze

Re: Last LR questions first?

Post by barneytrouble » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:40 pm

11-25, 1-10. Works every time.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Awesome. Any recommendations on how much time to spend for 11-25 and then 1-10?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:10 pm

I say no, because the later questions aren't worth more points. Might as well snag the easy points while you can.

Edit: it's not going to fix your time problem either, because you still have to finish 16-2X in 10 minutes or so.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:28 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Awesome. Any recommendations on how much time to spend for 11-25 and then 1-10?
On average, 11-25 takes me 20 minutes and 1-10 takes just under 10.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHIJAMES11

New

Post by CHIJAMES11 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Why not finish the first 10 questions in 10 minutes leaving you with 25 minutes to finish the remaining 14-16 problems? I feel like your implementing and justifying this strategy as a means to alleviate the pressure of the time constraint instead of working on efficiency and accuracy.
I say no, because the later questions aren't worth more points. Might as well snag the easy points while you can.

Edit: it's not going to fix your time problem either, because you still have to finish 16-2X in 10 minutes or so.
The amount of time you have is not going to change. I am hesitant to believe that the order at which one approaches the questions will have a significant impact on the score for reasons attributed to time (which is the purpose of this technique). You have been given roughly a minute and a half to finish each question regardless of the order you choose to answer them. As aforementioned, I think the benefits you have noticed stem from the confidence gained by implementing a method that you (may have independently) thought of and feel comfortable with. Likewise, if it works - it works. Just make sure use the same method you have been practicing with on test day.

I just want to add that I think answering the first 10 questions in 10 minutes is a much better method (in my humble opinion!) just in case people down the road end up searching this for similar input. You cite the fact that these initial questions are much easier as a reason why it may be better to do them last but wouldn't this give just as much (if not more) credence to answering them first? It seems like you have a general tendency to rush the last few questions because of the time constraint and instead of rushing on the 'harder' questions you would rather rush the 'easier' questions. To me this is something that is merely, if at all, a partial solution to the problem; ideally you don't want to rush any of the questions. In my experiences there is no quick fix with the LSAT. Diligently strive to give each question the amount of time it deserves from the onset of your studying and you may not need to rely on crutches like this to get you through the test. If you are a person that constantly struggles to finish the section it makes more sense to score the easy points early and in turn if you are a person who does not struggle to finish the section on time then this seems irrelevant.

End point: If it works for you then do it but don't go into studying/practicing LR using this method. Acclimate yourself to the test first so you can make an educated decision on what methods work best for you.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:23 am

I've been studying this test for months now and I'm familiar with what works for me for LR for the most part and what I need to work on and I'm doing those things. Like I said earlier, the benefit for me in addressing the harder questions first is that it helps with a mental block I seem to have. When the 5 minute time mark is near and I have 3 more questions it is easier in my mind knowing that I'll be addressing the easiest questions on the test rather than potentially some of the hardest. Additionally, I have a harder time motivating myself when I do the easier questions first. Maybe I'm lulled into a false sense of security that the section will be less difficult based on what I'm seeing? At any rate, I also would MAKE SURE that I would still give myself 10-15 for the first 10. Meaning if I was at 20 minutes on the last part of the section and I still had a question to go I would then go back to the first questions complete those to get the easy points and then come back to the hard one I skipped. So it's not about missing the easy points.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:29 pm

I think the reason for starting with the harder questions is because one will notice better concentration when they first start a section, ending with difficulty in concentration as the questions get harder. I feel like one could combat this problem by starting off on the harder questions, and finishing off with the easier ones, since the easier questions won't require as much attention to detail.

Yeah, you could say "oh, you should be focused all the way through". But lets face it, after reading 10 questions and going into the harder ones, it would definitely mess with you.

I tried this approach the other day and have not come to a conclusion about it, yet. We shall see.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:40 pm

I think this is a pretty good idea. Especially if you end up with a tough LR section on test day.
I think that if you are fresh, doing the harder questions first might be a good idea. Just keep track of time and set a strict time limit. You don't want to risk missing any of the first 15.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”