Last Minute Help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
FlyHigh

New

Last Minute Help!

Post by FlyHigh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:18 pm

10 days to go until December 03/2011 and my PTs are stuck in the 164-166 ish range. My goal was to get a 173, but at this point even a 170 I would be content with. What should I do in these final 10 days?

My scores on PTs are usually -3 to -5 on each LR, -1 to -3 on each LG, and -5 to -7 on RC.

On individual sections, I can often get LG perfect, LR to within 2 or 3 each, and RC down to 3 or 4. I think I know the mechanics of the test inside and out - all the different LR types and how to approach them, conditionals, diagramming and timing are down perfect for LG, and notating is pretty solid for RC.

On actual PTs, however, the careless erorrs and right-to-wrong answer switches pile up and I'm stuck in the mid 160s frustrated.

TLS has been a tremendous help thus far and I am encouraged to read that people did break 170 the final week. Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!

CHIJAMES11

New

Re: Last Minute Help!

Post by CHIJAMES11 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 pm

On individual sections, I can often get LG perfect, LR to within 2 or 3 each, and RC down to 3 or 4. I think I know the mechanics of the test inside and out - all the different LR types and how to approach them, conditionals, diagramming and timing are down perfect for LG, and notating is pretty solid for RC.

On actual PTs, however, the careless erorrs and right-to-wrong answer switches pile up and I'm stuck in the mid 160s frustrated.
On individual sections I think a person has a clearer and more confident grasp of what needs to be done. In my mind, if someone starts a section they are thinking about what needs to be done specifically for that section and when someone starts a PT they are thinking about the test overall (and maybe feels a little overwhelmed or loses focus on what is necessary at that moment in time). When I am doing a PT I take 20 seconds to loudly voice in my head exactly what needs to be done, how quickly, and the importance of what i'm about to do. You defeat the LSAT as a whole by attacking each section appropriately and with due care. This may sound like silly advice but what the heck haha!

Also, (this probably won't apply to you given your score) but make sure you truly understand what each answer choice says. I tutor a guy I used to go to high school with and it's almost shocking how often he dismisses an answer choice because he is not completely sure what it is trying to say or its implications when applied to the stimulus.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:06 am

The best advice I have is to slow down, read every word and FOCUS. By doing this, I have improved 6 points from my last PT.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:11 am

FlyHigh wrote:10 days to go until December 03/2011 and my PTs are stuck in the 164-166 ish range. My goal was to get a 173, but at this point even a 170 I would be content with. What should I do in these final 10 days?

My scores on PTs are usually -3 to -5 on each LR, -1 to -3 on each LG, and -5 to -7 on RC.

TLS has been a tremendous help thus far and I am encouraged to read that people did break 170 the final week. Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!
This is your problem. DO NOT CHANGE ANSWERS UNLESS YOU ARE 100 PERCENT SURE.

Also, is the issue on RC timing or the questions themselves?

FlyHigh

New

Post by FlyHigh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Update: Did PT61, For RC, made sure I was totally focused on the passages and prephrased every answer in the split-second I moved from the question to the choices and got -3. In the 3 wrong I initially picked the right answer choice and then switched it.

In terms of LR, I am trying to get to -2 each. Again, always get down to 2 and the ones wrong are usually the other one. Someone suggested to me to try and determine why 1/2 is wrong rather than right and you will stop switching answers.

Aiming to get -0 on LG, -2 to -3 on each LR, and -2 to -3 on RC.

8 days left. 8 days to make gains.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Any tips on maintaining complete focus for all 5 sections?

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 pm

At this point, honestly, I would focus more on simulating real day conditions. You'll be surprised how different it is practicing with not only strict time conditions but having other people around you. I actually even took practices at the site of my test. As far as trying to improve, I would just take extra care in reviewing not only questions you get wrong but even had to think twice about. Too often, I find, people figure if they got a question right, they don't have to review it. If you guessed and got it right, that's to me the same as if you had gotten it wrong. so REVIEW lol. gl

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”