Struggling with newer LGs Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
the_pakalypse

Bronze

Struggling with newer LGs

Post by the_pakalypse » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:59 pm

I've done fairly well(0-1 wrong) with LGs from PT 20-50ish... but I find the later games sections (55+) to be incredibly hard. Has there any been significant change in LGs over the years? Or am I just not focusing enough on LG? For the past few months I've been drilling RC and LR, with minimal attention to LG (the day after each PT, I redo the LG section). I've become really frustrated by past two tests as my LG is what is keeping me from achieving high 170s (62 LG: -4 wrong; 60 LG: -3 wrong).

So does anyone have any suggestions how I can improve in the next 2 weeks? I plan on continuing with my current routine of redoing the LG section the next day. I also plan on drilling all LG sections from 55-64 once again. Will that be sufficient?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: Struggling with newer LGs

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Is there a particular type of game that's getting you? The more recent games are definitely different from the older ones, but most actually think they're easier. Do you have a sense of what's tripping you up? If not, maybe you need to spend more time going over the games you mess up on analytically to understand what your mistakes are.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm having issues as well. That damn toy dinosaur game was the worst.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:04 pm

sanjola wrote:I'm having issues as well. That damn toy dinosaur game was the worst.
Yeah, well everyone can agree that's a hard one. No shame in having trouble there.

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
sanjola wrote:I'm having issues as well. That damn toy dinosaur game was the worst.
Yeah, well everyone can agree that's a hard one. No shame in having trouble there.
See this is what blows my mind. I actually found the dinosaur game relatively easy (I intuitively identified mauve as being the important element)... but then I struggle with some of the advanced linear games :oops: ; they just seem so much more open than before.

And even if they aren't open, I find that the questions now are much more open-ended. For example, that stupid photographers' assistant game had stems that could be diagrammed in so many ways (E.g it only said if X is in Romania, which one of the following must be true). So then you had to account for X being in Romania as a writer's assistant, AND X being in Romania as a photographer's assistant.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:39 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
See this is what blows my mind. I actually found the dinosaur game relatively easy (I intuitively identified mauve as being the important element)... but then I struggle with some of the advanced linear games :oops: ; they just seem so much more open than before.

And even if they aren't open, I find that the questions now are much more open-ended. For example, that stupid photographers' assistant game had stems that could be diagrammed in so many ways (E.g it only said if X is in Romania, which one of the following must be true). So then you had to account for X being in Romania as a writer's assistant, AND X being in Romania as a photographer's assistant.

Are you using a specific method when approaching the games...?

I know everyone here loves the PS LG Bible... but I've honestly found the Manhattan LG Atlas to be much more helpful, and makes the games extremely "doable"...

If you're just doing the games based on your own logic/diagramming, that might be your problem... Despite the fact it might "work" most of the time, it makes the games much harder. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”