What does your LSAT score mean to you? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
180asBreath

Bronze

What does your LSAT score mean to you?

Post by 180asBreath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:49 am

For me:

<90 correct - I will never be able to pursue the career of my dreams.
90-94 correct - I will be able to pursue my desired career... for 150k.
>94 correct - I will be able to pursue my desired career... for free!

It's like you all talk about, the only people who can truly understand our plight is our fellow TLS'ers. It's absolutely insane how important this test is!

pizzabrosauce

New

Re: What does your LSAT score mean to you?

Post by pizzabrosauce » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:49 pm

I consider it a measure of whether I'm mature enough to do what it takes to succeed in law.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:12 pm

pizzabrosauce wrote:I consider it a measure of whether I'm mature enough to do what it takes to succeed in law.
I like this. This is how I feel about prep; if you are not willing to put in the 10 hours a week it takes to get into a better school or to get a significant scholarship, how are you going to dedicate the required time to excel in law school?

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 pm

I think when I first started prepping, I thght of it in similar terms. However, I realized that I was putting too much pressure on myself by viewing it as such. Just do your best, end of story.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:11 pm

It's pretty pathetic, but I sometimes have a mental breakdown and just cry. I'm taking the test in December and I'm actually worried.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 pm

The test is incredibly important, but thinking in terms of absolutes isn't useful, IMO. I think of my "true LSAT score" as a band, just like the band LSAC gives you--with really hard work, and avoiding bad luck, you should be able to score in your band. Say it's something like 170-175. Score in the higher end you might end up at Harvard, score at the lower end you end up at Michigan. If you choose to believe the latter outcome is total failure, then okay--I think most reasonable people would disagree, but look at it the way you want.

If your band is 165-170, then it's more like Fordham/USC/Vandy vs. Cornell/Virginia/Michigan. I know there are people who think the former group is being consigned to hell. But look at any metric, and it would be hard for anyone to argue that somehow Michigan is magically worth it because everyone at Michigan gets to pursue their dreams, while everyone at Fordham is headed to misery. And this applies to the $ issue as well--if you can get in sticker Harvard, maybe you get half-ride or better at Michigan, and if you get sticker Michigan maybe half-ride at Vandy, and so on down the line.

There is no magic point where someone is "safe" IMO, not even H/Y/S. It's a sliding scale. And it should be, because the requirements to get into a law school are so low. Get an undergrad degree in ANYTHING at ANY SCHOOL. Take a 3-hour test. Those 2 things should not determine completely who gets to practice law, or make boat loads of money. That's why it's kinda fair that the very top student at New York Law School probably has much better prospects than a below-median student at NYU, even though NYU's credentials are so much better.

So unless you score drastically lower than your band (and because we can retake with impunity now, even this is mitigated) the LSAT does not determine your future. Just my two cents.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:32 pm

My LSAT score is just a number that people put too much emphasis on. My personal fulfillment has nothing to do with a metric that LSAC created. :)

-Tom Joad

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Tom Joad wrote:My LSAT score is just a number that people put too much emphasis on. My personal fulfillment has nothing to do with a metric that LSAC created. :)

-Tom Joad
That's cool. But, for me, I will only feel "personally fulfilled" if I am able to pursue a certain career - and the LSAT is the only thing in my way :-/

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Just another obstacle I have to get past to meet my goals

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 pm

180asBreath wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:My LSAT score is just a number that people put too much emphasis on. My personal fulfillment has nothing to do with a metric that LSAC created. :)

-Tom Joad
That's cool. But, for me, I will only feel "personally fulfilled" if I am able to pursue a certain career - and the LSAT is the only thing in my way :-/
Maybe you should look into meditation. lol. But in all seriousness how is your quest for 180 going? At first I thought you had no idea what you were in for, but the more I read your posts I figured you had a chance at a 170+ score (which anybody should really be happy with if they studied their hardest). I wish you luck on your quest.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:11 am

Haha, it probably wouldn't hurt!

You know, I am just hanging in there. I have taken 10 PT's in the last 5 weeks (after not taking one for almost a year) and I have a 164.5 average - despite guessing on 6-8 per test (e.g. I've only had the time to read 2 of the 10 tests' 4th RC passage :-/).

LG is getting there, I think I've finally figured out my best RC strategy (no notating!), and I am getting there with LR. While I've always just felt like I'm good with LR, as I averaged -4 to -5 on each LR from my first diagnostic, I now see this as the linchpin. I'm going to drill LG until I get to the point where I will expect a -0 on game day (whether or not that will happen) and I'm going to drill RC until I get to the point where I can expect a <-4 (I think I'm already at this point, when I am able to read all passages, but I'd really like to solidify this ability and make it permanent).

So, the real issue is LR. If I am able to consistently get -4 (combined on LR), then I will get to the point where I am in good shape for December.

I'm at that point where I know I CAN do really well on December (between two tests, I had a LR1: -1, LR2: -1, RC: -2, LG: -0), but I need to get the point where I know I WILL do really well. It'll take a bit of time, but with the proper work - I'm sure I can get there.

I have a ton of regrets, fears, and trepidation - but, above all, I feel grateful for where I am and for the next 35 days I have to get where I need to be.

Thanks for the kind words!

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:41 am

It means I really worked hard and my hard work was validated. Even taking a year off from school was worth it.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:48 am

The important thing to remember is that the LSAT is definitely NOT a measure of your intelligence. It's merely a test of your worth as a human being.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:53 am

suspicious android wrote:The important thing to remember is that the LSAT is definitely NOT a measure of your intelligence. It's merely a test of your worth as a human being.
SO CREDITED.

The LSAT took me from getting a decent scholly at a T30 to having a shot at ED at a T6, so basically, it cost me a TON of money :lol:

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:33 am

suspicious android wrote:The important thing to remember is that the LSAT is definitely NOT a measure of your intelligence. It's merely a test of your worth as a human being.
This is "oh, so true".

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 am

If y'all ascribe any importance to the LSAT beyond its value in getting you admitted, you're in for a rude awakening when you actually get to law school and realize that nobody gives a shit about the LSAT after you're done with admissions. I hope I never run into a weirdo who talks about their LSAT meaning a lot to them about their maturity.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:18 am

Bildungsroman wrote:If y'all ascribe any importance to the LSAT beyond its value in getting you admitted, you're in for a rude awakening when you actually get to law school and realize that nobody gives a shit about the LSAT after you're done with admissions. I hope I never run into a weirdo who talks about their LSAT meaning a lot to them about their maturity.
RAWR BILDUNG IS ANGRY

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am

Bildungsroman wrote:If y'all ascribe any importance to the LSAT beyond its value in getting you admitted, you're in for a rude awakening when you actually get to law school and realize that nobody gives a shit about the LSAT after you're done with admissions. I hope I never run into a weirdo who talks about their LSAT meaning a lot to them about their maturity.
+1

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 am

It means I am brilliant, and my kids will be buying fries from you on the way to a ski trip.
We are the 1%!!!

tedler

Gold

Post by tedler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:49 am

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

QuincyWagstaff

New

Post by QuincyWagstaff » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:35 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Bildung, when I got into grad school - I never gave a second thought about my GRE. You're right; it's ridiculous to think the LSAT means anything more than gaining acceptance into law school; however, that is still of huge importance until you have gained acceptance - which is where many of us are at. I know they are just ribbing you, but your LSAT score - at this point - doesn't matter one bit. You are on your way to getting a degree from a T6 institution, that is all that matters.

Once I get in, I will not give the LSAT another thought; I will also never ask a fellow student what they scored. Other than discussing it briefly, for fun, I wouldn't think discussing LSAT scores would reflect well on a law student (i.e. they'd be seen as douchey).

Btw, I lol'd at kahechsof's post - haha.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:34 pm

lololololololololol about caring about your lsat beyond just to get into a good school

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:47 pm

This is true for all of life.

No one in college gives a shit about your fancy prep high school, or your SAT score after you've gotten in

No one in law school gives a shit about your Harvard UG degree, or your 180 LSAT, after you've gotten in

No one in law firms (AFTER YOU'VE BEEN HIRED) gives a shit where you went to law school

No one in the millionaire's cemetery gives a shit that you were a biglaw partner when you were alive

Everything in life is a means to an end...you do well in one stage of life to potentially gain "admission" to the next. That said, you can enjoy it while it's going on. These kids just took a really important test and got a (good) score, and they learned things in the process. Let them celebrate and speculate, however inaccurately.

But let's set a 2 week limit. I'm sick of hearing all the whining and asking about retakes. Just remember, don't rest on your laurels if you got a 180, and don't give up if you got a 179.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”