October 2011 LSAT Test center problems Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MrBriggs360

New

October 2011 LSAT Test center problems

Post by MrBriggs360 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:46 am

I'm in an extremely difficult situation, and I could really use some advice on how to proceed. I started studying for the LSAT about a month ago, and I've taken eleven prep tests under strict time conditions, and I read the LG Bible in full. My first few diagnostics, taken raw, I scored 160, 160 and 158. After reading the bible and getting comfortable with the test, I settled into an average score of about 166-167, even hitting 169 on one of the older LSATs.

When I arrived at the test center, I was surprised to find the actual LSAT printed and that shitty over-recycled paper, and I was seated at the top of a lecture center with a spotlight pointing directly down at my paper. I didn't realize that it was going to be a problem until we started the first section, at which point I opened up to find the LG section. I started diagramming, and the reflection on my paper was so bright that I couldn't read my pencilwork. I started to completely freak out because I had to actually pick my paper off the desk to read which I had diagrammed and it cost me so much time that wound up having to guess on several choices (about 9!). Previously, I had little trouble getting through entire LG sections in full.

I was afraid to raise my hand and complain during the section, because I was afraid I would lose precious time.. and my nerves were going absolutely insane.. I literally felt the hair on my scalp standing up on end. Immediately after the section ended, I raised my hand and complained, and about half of the students in the room started freaking out because they were having the same problem.. only many of them were lucky enough not to have a LG section first so reading their pencilwork wasn't a major issue. Before we moved on to the next section, the proctor adjusted the lighting to everyone's satisfaction, but by then I was an absolute ball of nerves and I feel like I extremely underperformed on the rest of the test as well.

I'm not exactly banking on going to a top 25 school, but based on hitting consistent 167s on the prep tests, I was counting on hitting about a 164 or so and hoping to get a full ride to one of the few local schools near my hometown.. but now I'm almost certain that I couldn't have scored too much higher than a 156 or 157.

Where should I go from here? I'm afraid to cancel my score, because I don't want to delay the application process and wind up too late in the admissions cycle to have options, but I'm also absolutely certain that I did not score anywhere close to my abilities. The distraction of having bombed that LG section completely disrupted me for the rest of the test. I normally hit between -1 on -5 on the LR section, between -4 and -6 on LG and between -2 and -4 on RC.. but I'm 90% certain I didn't hit anywhere close to these numbers on test day.

Any suggestions? I'm getting sick to my stomach just thinking about how I felt. Just an awful awful experience.

bleern031

New

Re: October 2011 LSAT Test center problems

Post by bleern031 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:10 am

I'm on the same boat.
To my knowledge though, most schools would accept December LSAT scores (some even taking Feb- but that's the dead latest)
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but LSAC is most likely not going to remedy the situation.
so, I think you should cancel/ re-take during December.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 am

I heard they used the recycled paper and it could be a problem with highlighters. I didn't use the strategy of highlighters so I was not worried about the paper.

The very first thing I wrote down on the booklet (to begin diagramming) my extremely sharp pencil actually ripped through the paper. I had an "O shit" moment thinking I'd have trouble even writing on the book. After that I had 0 issues though lol

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:12 am

I used a highlighter. It was pretty easy to ignore the bleed-through.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”