The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Icculus

Silver

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Post by Icculus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

LMD wrote:Quick question: What looks better to law school admissions, a 173 followed by a 177, or a cancel followed by a 177? Maybe it just doesn't matter that much?
Depends on the school. If they average the the cancel, but for 99% of the schools it's the same. I mean both scores are 99th percentile.

toddly76

New

Post by toddly76 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Another one in the misery pool.

Current PhD student, political science, bolting for law school. GPA of 3.8. Pt-ing at 169-172, with a 175 week before exam.

Guessed on at least 4 on bikes. Think I completely made up an inference on the ambassadors. Can't remember doing the books though I still had 4 minutes to go back to the bikes--didn't help. So maybe -8. I also barely remember doing the final LR section, probably missed 4-5. (think I aced rc and the other lr)

Would kill to get in at NU (not enough WE probably--barely any)
WUSTL
UCLA
Georgetown.

Plan is to keep my score, sign up to retake in Dec. and hope that works out better.

jln04a

New

Post by jln04a » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 pm

I am debating canceling. I am curious, though and want to know what I scored...and oddly, that's the main reason I wouldn't cancel.

But some rational advice would be welcomed.

Retake-scored 165. I ran out of the time on the LG on my first test and randomly bubbled the entire last game.
GPA-4.0
Master's degree (for whatever that's worth)
Two+ years work experience

Okay, so over all I think this test went better. That scares me. I think I am being overly confident and didn't do as well as I am imagining. I actually had time to finish the LG section this time, so that's a plus. I felt great about Reading Comprehension and good about the Logical Analysis sections.

But (ah the truth comes out!) I registered for this test before I got my other score back. And these past four weeks have been crazy at work and I didn't prep at all during that time. I mean not at all. Not a question. Not a chapter in a prep book. Not a practice test. Nothing. It snuck up on me and it was completely my fault for not paying more attention.

I don't really want to take it again in December. I'd like to score in the 170s--my prep scores from earlier this summer were around there. My cold diagnostic was 169 way back when...so I know I can do it. But I am scared that this score will be lower than my first one. So what would you do?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:29 pm

jln04a wrote:I am debating canceling. I am curious, though and want to know what I scored...and oddly, that's the main reason I wouldn't cancel.

But some rational advice would be welcomed.

Retake-scored 165. I ran out of the time on the LG on my first test and randomly bubbled the entire last game.
GPA-4.0
Master's degree (for whatever that's worth)
Two+ years work experience

Okay, so over all I think this test went better. That scares me. I think I am being overly confident and didn't do as well as I am imagining. I actually had time to finish the LG section this time, so that's a plus. I felt great about Reading Comprehension and good about the Logical Analysis sections.

But (ah the truth comes out!) I registered for this test before I got my other score back. And these past four weeks have been crazy at work and I didn't prep at all during that time. I mean not at all. Not a question. Not a chapter in a prep book. Not a practice test. Nothing. It snuck up on me and it was completely my fault for not paying more attention.

I don't really want to take it again in December. I'd like to score in the 170s--my prep scores from earlier this summer were around there. My cold diagnostic was 169 way back when...so I know I can do it. But I am scared that this score will be lower than my first one. So what would you do?
Not cancel! If you had a good feeling, trust it.

jln04a

New

Post by jln04a » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm

emkay625 wrote:Not cancel! If you had a good feeling, trust it.
Have you decided what you're going to do?

I am curious so part of me has to know.

After test 1 I was sure I failed...like 140 failed. Post-lsat me is overly melodramatic. This one felt better. There were times I was reading the answers stumped...then I had this "oh" moment where it was obvious. I feel if I trust myself, I tend to be okay. I also mark all the ones I am unsure about and go back if there is time. I think I had about 4 marked total? Something like that...so that's good or I just stopped caring.

Haven't figured out which yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:52 pm

jln04a wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Not cancel! If you had a good feeling, trust it.
Have you decided what you're going to do?

I am curious so part of me has to know.

After test 1 I was sure I failed...like 140 failed. Post-lsat me is overly melodramatic. This one felt better. There were times I was reading the answers stumped...then I had this "oh" moment where it was obvious. I feel if I trust myself, I tend to be okay. I also mark all the ones I am unsure about and go back if there is time. I think I had about 4 marked total? Something like that...so that's good or I just stopped caring.

Haven't figured out which yet.
I don't think I'm going to cancel. I can't stand the thought of not knowing. Head says cancel, but my heart says don't. I'm a heart kind of girl.

Also, in my situation, I want to go to Northwestern, WUSTL, Texas, or SMU. WUSTL and SMU I already feel confident at with the 169. For Northwestern or Texas I need 171+. Since there is a tiny chance (even though very tiny), I'm going to not cancel and pray a lot. If I don't hit it and end up with a 165, I'll retake in December. I'd have to retake in December anyway if I cancelled.

milan

New

Post by milan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:03 am

Hey everyone, I've never posted to this site before but I'm so torn after yesterday that I need some advice...

I took the June 2011 LSAT and scored a 168. Since July I have been PT averaging about 175, with two 179s this past week. Yesterday I had LG for section 2 and the 3rd game messed me up so badly that I pretty much downright guessed for the last 7 questions of the section. This bothers me so much because LG is my best section and I almost always go -0.

I got through LR and RC with no issues, in fact I finished both with a couple minutes to spare. After LG I was pretty flustered, however, and I am worried that my state of mind interfered with my cognitive abilities because I kept thinking to myself that I had already messed up the test and I would probably cancel it. I didn't stop trying, but I definitely rushed.

As far as apps go, I have a pretty low GPA (3.3). I want to be in DC for law school and I have a good shot at GWU with a 168, but I was hoping for a 174+ to have a shot Georgetown, and a cushion for GWU.

Should I cancel and retake? Cancel and be content with a 168? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading this mini-essay.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 am

milan wrote:Hey everyone, I've never posted to this site before but I'm so torn after yesterday that I need some advice...

I took the June 2011 LSAT and scored a 168. Since July I have been PT averaging about 175, with two 179s this past week. Yesterday I had LG for section 2 and the 3rd game messed me up so badly that I pretty much downright guessed for the last 7 questions of the section. This bothers me so much because LG is my best section and I almost always go -0.

I got through LR and RC with no issues, in fact I finished both with a couple minutes to spare. After LG I was pretty flustered, however, and I am worried that my state of mind interfered with my cognitive abilities because I kept thinking to myself that I had already messed up the test and I would probably cancel it. I didn't stop trying, but I definitely rushed.

As far as apps go, I have a pretty low GPA (3.3). I want to be in DC for law school and I have a good shot at GWU with a 168, but I was hoping for a 174+ to have a shot Georgetown, and a cushion for GWU.

Should I cancel and retake? Cancel and be content with a 168? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading this mini-essay.
We are in the same place. Nearly same current stats and the exact same thing, section by section, as far as what happened yesterday on the test. I am not cancelling. Not saying that it's what you should do, just sharing.

Go with your gut.

asunshinee

New

Post by asunshinee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 am

Your initial reaction is usually the best indicator.

So if I was crying in my car right after because LG raped my score, probably an indicator to cancel?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

equivocation

New

Post by equivocation » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

asunshinee wrote:

So if I was crying in my car right after because LG raped my score, probably an indicator to cancel?
I broke down in my car I was so mad at my LG flop - already cancelled :/

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 am

asunshinee wrote:

Probably, but that's just based on my one experience.

Though probably not if you're one of those people who always thinks they do poorly, and then never do.

seewhathappens

New

Post by seewhathappens » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 pm

hey guys,
situation: gpa: 3.4, PT 170+ (many many many times) cancelled my 1st test in june, retook it just now in october...LG - not cool, clouded me for the rest of the exam big time. def taking it again in december.
Oct test: really bombed, somewhere around 160+/-
Question: cancel/keep
risk: leaving everything for the 3rd test vs. cancel, mediocre score, high score
leaning towards: keeping it 80:20
thanks everyone
good luck

asunshinee

New

Post by asunshinee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 pm

seewhathappens wrote:hey guys,
situation: gpa: 3.4, PT 170+ (many many many times) cancelled my 1st test in june, retook it just now in october...LG - not cool, clouded me for the rest of the exam big time. def taking it again in december.
risk: leaving everything for the 3rd test vs. cancel, mediocre score, high score
thanks everyone
good luck
Don't cancel. You'll be putting all your eggs in the December 2011 Test, which as you've learned.. is never a sure thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seewhathappens

New

Post by seewhathappens » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:21 pm

asunshinee wrote:
seewhathappens wrote:hey guys,
thanks everyone
good luck
Don't cancel. You'll be putting all your eggs in the December 2011 Test, which as you've learned.. is never a sure thing.
finally wat i wanted to hear. let the score hit me as low as it wants, gotta suck it up n take it like a man...2 more months of studying starts now!
good to hear im not the only one distraught over the LG, what will they think of next??
thanks

Viola

New

Post by Viola » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi there, I'm another splitter/retaker (3.1/170) in need of advice after messing up my games. Like everyone else, the bike game threw me off and I ended up blindly guessing on four questions. I was hoping to nab a 173+.

On one hand, I'm thinking of canceling as I'm pretty sure that I fell short of my goal. I'm fairly consistent on LR and RC, so my score hinges on whether or not I finish the games. I'm not sure that the possibility of a tiny increase is worth the (not insignificant) risk of a decrease.

On the other hand, I don't think I bombed so badly that my score would be significantly lower if I did end up doing worse. December will be my third test and my last chance, and while it's unlikely I'll do worse in December, I don't know how wise it is to throw away this score.

Tl;dr version: I can't decide between a meh second score and a cancel. I wish I felt more strongly either way!

Edit: Talked to someone who convinced me to wait and see what my score is. :)

emasters

New

Post by emasters » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 pm

So if I was crying in my car right after because LG raped my score, probably an indicator to cancel?[/quote]

Hahaha, I did the same thing! Told myself I would cancel if LG 1 turned out to be real. 4 days later and I have yet to even download the form. Think I'd rather bank on the laws of probability bending in my favor. Maybe you guessed more correctly than you think. Even if you didn't though, someone mentioned before that next test might have much harder RC/LR sections. Coming out of my depression I realized how awesome it was that the hardest section this time turned out only accounts for 23% (24?) of my score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”