30 hours till the marathon oooor... I could just withdraw Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
guitar519

New

30 hours till the marathon oooor... I could just withdraw

Post by guitar519 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:52 am

I've only been studying for approximately 3 weeks due to some personal reasons and obviously not getting the results I want. I need 160+ for the schools I'm aiming for but only been scoring 151-156. I have been optimistic but reality hit me these past few days. I know that I have to take the LSATs in December with more preparation and already registered for it.

However, I am still registered for the test on Saturday. But knowing that I'm not going to give it my all PLUS the anxiety that is coming with it as the time is approaching, I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the exam. I was going to write it & cancel just to get a feel for it but I don't think I can handle it. I'm even losing serious sleep over it and have been for the past few days! Aaaaah!

Am I just being too nervous? Should I at least get my money's worth by going into the exam? I am just so damn indecisive.

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Re: 30 hours till the marathon oooor... I could just withdraw

Post by SarahKerrigan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 am

Well i don't see how taking the exam can hurt you. Maybe it will give you a boost of confidence for when you take it in december.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:30 am

guitar519 wrote:I've only been studying for approximately 3 weeks due to some personal reasons and obviously not getting the results I want. I need 160+ for the schools I'm aiming for but only been scoring 151-156. I have been optimistic but reality hit me these past few days. I know that I have to take the LSATs in December with more preparation and already registered for it.

However, I am still registered for the test on Saturday. But knowing that I'm not going to give it my all PLUS the anxiety that is coming with it as the time is approaching, I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the exam. I was going to write it & cancel just to get a feel for it but I don't think I can handle it. I'm even losing serious sleep over it and have been for the past few days! Aaaaah!

Am I just being too nervous? Should I at least get my money's worth by going into the exam? I am just so damn indecisive.
This may be unpopular advice, but if you suffer from test anxiety, you should take an official test for practice and just cancel the score if you don't feel right about it at the end. You are performing at a 150-160 level so your score could be 160, or it may even sink below 150. Nerves and Adrenaline cause funny things to happen.

Once you have taken an official test, you will know what it's like and how to prepare for success on a later test. And if you get your target score, will you really be satisfied? No. Nobody with a 160+ in the day when only the highest score carries any serious weight will be satisfied. If you reach 160, you're going to want to see if you can hit 170.

I get the feeling you haven't taken enough timed practice exams.

guitar519

New

Post by guitar519 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just... not feeling good about tomorrow at all. I know it could be good practise and if I feel ridiculously stressed out then I can just cancel it and whatnot but... I really don't feel like going through that anxiety and stress. You make some great points but I feel like I won't be able to suck it up and do it. I've just been extremely stressed due to being unprepared for the last few days and even today (although I'm considering not taking it.) Losing sleep, no appetite, etc etc. So I think it's just going to be a wasting my time a little bit. I have seen and sat in the lecture hall before so... it's not like an unfamiliar environment either. Eh I don't know...

I've taken timed sections for practise but never sat down for the full 4-ish hours and do section after section.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 am

guitar519 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just... not feeling good about tomorrow at all. I know it could be good practise and if I feel ridiculously stressed out then I can just cancel it and whatnot but... I really don't feel like going through that anxiety and stress. You make some great points but I feel like I won't be able to suck it up and do it. I've just been extremely stressed due to being unprepared for the last few days and even today (although I'm considering not taking it.) Losing sleep, no appetite, etc etc. So I think it's just going to be a wasting my time a little bit. I have seen and sat in the lecture hall before so... it's not like an unfamiliar environment either. Eh I don't know...

I've taken timed sections for practise but never sat down for the full 4-ish hours and do section after section.
I'd take the test. If you can't work through the anxiety when you know that you don't need THIS score and can cancel it, you're really not going to be able to work through it in December when it's critical. I think taking a test run is a really good idea for people with test anxiety. The least you can do is remove the 'first-time' stress from December by showing up tomorrow.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:47 am

guitar519 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

If you decide to withdraw, I would take a practice test with Manhattan or Princeton Review. They offer free proctored exams, it won't be quite like the actual experience but similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”