some lr q's from pt 63 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
paulshortys10

Silver

some lr q's from pt 63

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 pm

, lr1, Q25

when it says "ONLY H. Criticism will cause the person blah blah".....does the only indicate necessary, sufficient, or both?

also, wtf was wrng with B?

also lr3 Q11

I had it down to A and B and with the pressure of time wrongfully chose A. I see why B is right, but i'm trying to understand why A is wrong. Would that statement be correct if it was reversed like so , "people who attempt to diagnose their med conditions typically do browse the web for medical information"????

hankypanky

New

Re: some lr q's from pt 63

Post by hankypanky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:05 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:, lr1, Q25

when it says "ONLY H. Criticism will cause the person blah blah".....does the only indicate necessary, sufficient, or both?

also, wtf was wrng with B?

also lr3 Q11

I had it down to A and B and with the pressure of time wrongfully chose A. I see why B is right, but i'm trying to understand why A is wrong. Would that statement be correct if it was reversed like so , "people who attempt to diagnose their med conditions typically do browse the web for medical information"????
So LR1 Q25:

Change --> Motive
Unpleasant Criticism = Motive
Since, (1) Harsh Criticism = Unpleasant = Motive for Change
-----------
Therefore, Cause Person Criticized to Change --> Harsh Criticism

Why is it wrong? Because there could be other motives. Just because one element (Unpleasant criticism) is equivalent to the necessary condition, that doesn't mean that is the only element that is equal. So it is NOT true that Change necessarily means you have to harsh criticism. Getting a great LSAT to get into a great law school, for example, could be a great Motive for change =).

B is wrong because (1) there is no talk of what is "primary goal", nor is that prioritization relevant. This is a very common issue on the LSAT, pay attention to it both in the answer choices and in the stimulus. Being a primary/most/just as good as any reason for something is not the same being the only reason for something. Also, there is no "goal" to the conditional statement. It just is.

Take notice: the verb "is" is not usually a term used for conditions, but in this case it is, thus, (A) is right.

(I know I dragged this out longer than it needed to be but I hope that helps).

LR3 (you mean LR2 Sect. 3 I'm presuming) Q11

It is not necessary that people who browse the internet do so in an attempt to diagnose a medical condition. Read the conclusion carefully, it is specifically limited ONLY to people who do, in fact, attempt to diagnose a medical condition. Go ahead and negate it: "People who browse the web for medical information typically do NOT do so in an attempt to diagnose their medical conditions." Does that have any effect on the conclusion of the argument: "Thus, people who rely on the web when attempting to diagnose their medical conditions are likely to do themselves more harm than good." No.

And no, it would not be correct even if you reversed it. Scope is key here. The stimulus is broad but the conclusion is more specific. They're testing you to see if you noticed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”