West.net Analytic Reasoning Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
EndersDrift

New

West.net Analytic Reasoning Question

Post by EndersDrift » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm a little confused on this question: http://www.west.net/~stewart/practice-q ... ning-3.htm

Wouldn't 2 be Red, 2 be Brown and 3 be Green?

2 and only 2 pairs are Ceramic. Thus 2 pairs of ceramic being 2 red and 2 green. The remaining 3 being green wood?

I don't follow why its only 3 Green?

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Re: West.net Analytic Reasoning Question

Post by SanDiegoJake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

You're misreading the question. It doesn't say that two same-colored pairs are ceramic. It says that 2 and only 2 ceramic lamps have the same color lampshade as each other, so one pair.

First, you're limited to only the minimum number of ceramic lamps, 4, as if there were more than 4 ceramic lamps, more than 2 would have to be the same color since there are only 3 colors. At this point, the question is answered.

But in case you're wondering, you'll have one brown ceramic, one red ceramic, one green ceramic, and one final ceramic of indeterminate color, guaranteed to match exactly one of the other ceramics. Your other 3 lamps are all wood, and all wood lamps are green, by the clues.

EndersDrift

New

Re: West.net Analytic Reasoning Question

Post by EndersDrift » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Ah thank you, I don't know why but it didn't occur to me that Green was not limited to be Wood - Wood is simply limited to be Green.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”