PT 37, Game #4 Ten Lap Relay Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Maye

Bronze

PT 37, Game #4 Ten Lap Relay

Post by Maye » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I have a question about the set-up. What I ended up doing was stacking the two laps on top of each other. This made it easier to see (for ex, J can't swim lap 4, so that means he also can't swim lap 9).

__ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __
(1,6) (2,7) (3,8) (4,9) (5,10)

(Really rough sketch up there, but I think you get it. The lines don't want to spread out.)

On the Manhattan forums they lined up the slots 1-10 and made a point to circle 5-6 as a problem area. Am I wrong? I got the answers correct, but was that luck? I'm just confused by their set-up, it seems unnecessarily complicated. You can see their diagram here.

Obelisk18

New

Re: PT 37, Game #4 Ten Lap Relay

Post by Obelisk18 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Maye wrote:I have a question about the set-up. What I ended up doing was stacking the two laps on top of each other. This made it easier to see (for ex, J can't swim lap 4, so that means he also can't swim lap 9).

__ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __

(Really rough sketch up there, but I think you get it. The lines don't want to spread out.)

On the Manhattan forums they lined up the slots 1-10 and made a point to circle 5-6 as a problem area. Am I wrong? I got the answers correct, but was that luck? I'm just confused by their set-up, it seems unnecessarily complicated. You can see their diagram here.
I did exactly the same thing and I think that's the most efficient set-up. I killed that game in like 5 minutes. I went immediately to that set-up because I recognized it was functionally the same as another game (I don't recall which PT) which had 10 houses, 5 on one side, 5 on the other side (1 across from 6, 2 from 7, etc), and colors in the place of swimmers.

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Post by SanDiegoJake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:10 pm

You're not wrong and it wasn't luck. The reason that 5/6 is a problem area is visual accuracy when symbolizing. You can absolutely get away with just stacking as long as you remember that 6 directly follows 5. When the clue says something like, "At least one of J's laps follows one of O's laps" (or something similar - I'm doing this from memory), then it can either happen twice at 1/2 and 6/7 for example. OR it can happen exactly once with J swimming 1/6 and O swimming 5/10, J's 2nd lap immediately following O's 1st. Writing out 1-10, as Manhhatan does, eliminates the visual confusion in that you will see, visually, at least one time O directly followed by J. Make sense?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:27 pm

Maye wrote:I have a question about the set-up. What I ended up doing was stacking the two laps on top of each other. This made it easier to see (for ex, J can't swim lap 4, so that means he also can't swim lap 9).

__ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __

I also do the double lines for this game (and I work at MLSAT!) - so, as usual, either way can work fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”