Getting a lower score on a third and final LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vissidarte27

Bronze

Getting a lower score on a third and final LSAT?

Post by vissidarte27 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Freaking out a little/a lot because I'm taking the LSAT again on Saturday and am kind of terrified.

My June score was a 165 and, while my last PT was a 176 and I feel like I mostly know what I'm doing, my problems with the LSAT have generally revolved around nerves (because I was PTing in the 170s before both February and June) and I'm afraid that, with the added pressure of this being my last time, I might bomb it.

How bad would it look if my score on Saturday comes back as a 160 or something? If it doesn't go up from the 165? Could it make a school deny me that might otherwise admit me with my current score? Or do they really look at the highest score, even if it isn't the last?

Does anybody have any relatable insight/personal experience/calming words?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: Getting a lower score on a third and final LSAT?

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 am

I'm worried about this too.

From what I know, most adcomms don't look favorably on LSAT scores that have a downward trend, even if they take the highest LSAT score. Typically they expect the most recent score to be the best indicator of your ability, so while they may record the highest LSAT score for statistical purposes, I'm under the impression that they'll still give weight to the most recent one. How much weight? Depends on the school.

As for comforting words, just know that you put in the time you were supposed to. You did your due diligence. You are prepared and nothing negates that. When you start feeling nervous just remember that the only way you'll be defeated is if you allow yourself to already feel that way.

Easier said than done, I'm sure, but I wish you the best of luck on Saturday!

gogogadgetlaw

New

Post by gogogadgetlaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 am

Last edited by gogogadgetlaw on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 am

vissidarte27 wrote:How bad would it look if my score on Saturday comes back as a 160 or something? If it doesn't go up from the 165? Could it make a school deny me that might otherwise admit me with my current score? Or do they really look at the highest score, even if it isn't the last?
No school will deny you with a 165 high score if you get 160. Retakes really don't matter that much for any school outside of HYS.

Good luck with the test. A 165 is a good score and you should feel confident that you've got that good score backing you up no matter what happens.

cmckid

New

Post by cmckid » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:35 am

Relax- if you're that smart, believe in your ability to overcome any school you're at. I'm retaking because I know I can score higher, but I firmly believe that I will kick butt at whatever school I get into with my current score. A 165 may not get you top-14, but if you're capable of scoring a 176 and go to school where the median is 165, you should be able to beat out most of your classmates in the race to the top.

Just know you're going to be fine.

Oh, and if you are intelligent enough to score a 175, your options should not just be limited to law school. I'm sure you'll be fine if you decide to do something else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:35 am

Focus on doing well. Take pts in active stressful surroundings. Exercise and eat right.

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 am

This is so me. I took it in Oct and Feb, got a 164 each time. My last PT before each respective test was 171 and 173. The sad thing is, I did unusually well in LR and CR (1-3 wrong) and bombed games, which I usually ace. ARG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”