Nervous and unsure... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
KatieKatKat

New

Nervous and unsure...

Post by KatieKatKat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:42 am

So I have been prepped for the October LSAT since July 15th (I finished up summer school, and took 2.5 months off in order to study). I felt at the beginning like I had a lot of time, but now with only a couple weeks left, I don't feel like I've reached my full potential. I know what I'm capable of, and what I'm not capable of... but it seems like where I'm scoring now is just short of what I could reach if I even just had 1 more month. Right now I'm scoring consistently around 164/165, and I do horrible on reading comprehension. It easily makes up for 60% of my errors. I honestly do feel like if I had more time I could score higher, and I'm also nervous that test day anxiety will overcome me and bring my score down because I haven't had enough time to prep with test day conditions. Anyway, does anyone else have this problem? Or suggestions?... Would you suggest postponing my exam date, or are my final 17 days enough time to get myself in a better state. Starting yesterday I have been going to the test room to prep.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Nervous and unsure...

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am

Test day anxiety will definitely bring you down if you tell yourself 17 days out that test day anxiety is likely to bring you down.

Given the time you've put in I'd study hard for the next couple of weeks and take the test. A December re-take is always an option if you don't like your score. And if a full-on meltdown happens on test day you can cancel.

KatieKatKat

New

Post by KatieKatKat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Test day anxiety will definitely bring you down if you tell yourself 17 days out that test day anxiety is likely to bring you down.
That is very true! I try to avoid that as much as possible... today is jut one of those days where I spent a little too much time reading TLS, something I try to avoid!! haha, I always end up psyching myself out when I do that! Sometimes it is just nice to know when someone else is in the same shoes, and advice is always good to hear!

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Test day anxiety will definitely bring you down if you tell yourself 17 days out that test day anxiety is likely to bring you down.

Given the time you've put in I'd study hard for the next couple of weeks and take the test. A December re-take is always an option if you don't like your score. And if a full-on meltdown happens on test day you can cancel.
I had a melt-down on test day in June. I scored 5 points lower than my lowest PT.

Bewaaaaaaaaaare.

KatieKatKat

New

Post by KatieKatKat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 am

Ginj wrote:

I had a melt-down on test day in June. I scored 5 points lower than my lowest PT.

Bewaaaaaaaaaare.
Were you expecting to freak out, or did you even realize you freaked out? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to avoid this... and by practicing in the actual test room with all other variable the same (except for the rest of the students that will be there test day) I'm hoping I can eliminate all of that anxiety before October 1st!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:44 am

KatieKatKat wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Bewaaaaaaaaaare.
Were you expecting to freak out, or did you even realize you freaked out? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to avoid this... and by practicing in the actual test room with all other variable the same (except for the rest of the students that will be there test day) I'm hoping I can eliminate all of that anxiety before October 1st!
I kind of expected that I would freak out. I didn't anticipate that I would freak out as much as I did. I didn't sleep the night before. I overcompensated by drinking too much caffeine the morning of. I didn't eat enough beforehand. And once I got into the testing room, and I started shaking uncontrollably from caffeine, hunger, and the OMFGTHISISITTHISCOUNTSFOREVERYTHING!!!! feeling. I was shaking during the entire test.

It was not a good day.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 pm

KatieKatKat wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Bewaaaaaaaaaare.
How exactly are you able to do this? Is it at your UG or something? Mine is at a TTTTT law school that I have never been to.
I am freaked out by the thought of 17 days but test day anxiety has in the past actually helped me to perform better.

KatieKatKat

New

Post by KatieKatKat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Luckily it is at my UG. Classes have started up again for the fall, but I just sort of lurk around the classroom door until they get out for an hour or two, then I sneak in and get as much practice in as possible. In between I just review old games that I struggled with or look at questions I get wrong. I've done about 5 practice tests in there as of now, but starting yesterday I'm planning on spending most of my time in or around the room, just to get used to the surroundings. Maybe go to the TTTTTT law school its at and just practice in the building, even if you can't get in the classroom? It will probably help on test day, just getting used to the wierd sounds or smells of the building! haha thats my plan

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:04 pm

KatieKatKat wrote:Luckily it is at my UG. Classes have started up again for the fall, but I just sort of lurk around the classroom door until they get out for an hour or two, then I sneak in and get as much practice in as possible. In between I just review old games that I struggled with or look at questions I get wrong. I've done about 5 practice tests in there as of now, but starting yesterday I'm planning on spending most of my time in or around the room, just to get used to the surroundings. Maybe go to the TTTTTT law school its at and just practice in the building, even if you can't get in the classroom? It will probably help on test day, just getting used to the wierd sounds or smells of the building! haha thats my plan
The city is a piece of crap and scary so lurking sounds frightening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”