Help with 2 assumption questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
6lehderjets

Bronze

Help with 2 assumption questions

Post by 6lehderjets » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:29 am

PT21-S2-Q20 (Pluto)
I chose answer A but C was correct. Based on the stimulus if nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane were listed in order of decreasing abundance wouldn't nitrogen vaporize less readily then carbon monoxide?

PT28-S3-Q16 (Beethoven)
I chose D, the correct answer B did not make complete sense to me when I negated it.

Thanks guys.

senorhosh

Bronze

Re: Help with 2 assumption questions

Post by senorhosh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:17 am

6lehderjets wrote:PT21-S2-Q20 (Pluto)
I chose answer A but C was correct. Based on the stimulus if nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane were listed in order of decreasing abundance wouldn't nitrogen vaporize less readily then carbon monoxide?
That's question #19.
Anyway..

The stimulus states proportion of gas depends directly on how readily the ice vaporizes (more readily = more abundant)
The order shows that nitrogen is most abundant, CO is medium abundant, methane is least abundant.
Since nitrogen is most abundant, that means it vaporizes most readily.

Hope this shows why A is wrong and C is right... (you're on the right track except you got the opposite order)
6lehderjets wrote: PT28-S3-Q16 (Beethoven)
I chose D, the correct answer B did not make complete sense to me when I negated it.
Let's say B is false, which means everyone ingested mercury during his time.
The argument states that in order to know if Beethoven had VD, we would have to know if he had mercury because that's the treatment for it.
If EVERYONE ingested mercury during his time, including him, he would have mercury in his hair regardless of whether he had VD or not.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Re: Help with 2 assumption questions

Post by 6lehderjets » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:56 pm

senorhosh wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:PT21-S2-Q20 (Pluto)
That's question #19.
Anyway..

The stimulus states proportion of gas depends directly on how readily the ice vaporizes (more readily = more abundant)
The order shows that nitrogen is most abundant, CO is medium abundant, methane is least abundant.
Since nitrogen is most abundant, that means it vaporizes most readily.

Hope this shows why A is wrong and C is right... (you're on the right track except you got the opposite order)
6lehderjets wrote: PT28-S3-Q16 (Beethoven)
Let's say B is false, which means everyone ingested mercury during his time.
The argument states that in order to know if Beethoven had VD, we would have to know if he had mercury because that's the treatment for it.
If EVERYONE ingested mercury during his time, including him, he would have mercury in his hair regardless of whether he had VD or not.

Thanks man! That definitely helps, I made the mistake of thinking to correctly negate C would be just to remove the "not"

I didn't change some to everyone...is changing "some" to "everyone" (i.e. all) in addition to removing the not something you do to successfully negate those types of statements in all instances or does it just apply to this question?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”