Books on logic Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
roy11

New

Books on logic

Post by roy11 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Can anyone recommend good books on learning the principles of logic outside of the LSAT prep books? Or is this a sub-optimal use of time?

tehrocstar

Bronze

Re: Books on logic

Post by tehrocstar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 pm

I purchased Introduction to Logic by Harry Gensler. I read all relevant chapters, about 5 to 6 out abut 18. The other chapters were on things like Modal logic, which obviously you don't need on the LSAT.

It was definitely useful, when I began to read the powerscore and manhattan guides, concepts definitely came to me extremely fast and faster than they would have if I didn't read Gensler's book. Moreover, this book accompanies an interactive PC program called Logicola, which is nothing short of excellent.

Surprisingly, overall, I would say this was a sub-optimal use of my time. The book definitely expanded on topics only touched upon in the bibles and manhattan books. The topics were covered on level much more complex than is needed for the LSAT. If you ascribe to the theory of studying topics at a higher level of complexity than you actually need (which I actually do), then it could be useful if you have 3+ months to study. However, both of the bibles and the manhattan books teach you everything you need to know for the LSAT, but you need to understand the concepts taught 100% to do well on the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”