Need some LR help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
loisaida

New

Need some LR help

Post by loisaida » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi all! This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while.

I wanted to ask some advice from everyone at TLS about the LR section. Thanks to all the TLS forums, I've gotten through the Powerscore LG and LR bibles which were immensely helpful. Which leads me to a big THANK YOU! I took Kaplan pre-TLS which ended up with a postponed June LSAT and some shattered dreams.... only mildly joking.

I'm taking the October LSAT and I've been studying for months. I know that you first work on accuracy, and then work on timing. Since I'm a little over a month away, I wanted to start working on my timing which is atrocious. I have ranged untimed from -12 (at the beginning) to -3 on the LR but when I go timed it really slows down to -10. I can get the first 10 usually always accurate in the first 10 minutes but from there it all goes sour. In the teens area I progress to an awful 3 minutes a problem (and this is generally where I flounder) and then the end of the section I can pick speed back up and get some points back.

Any tips on how to really begin to pace myself? I've thought about setting the timer for 45 minutes, then 40, then 35. Or should I continue to focus on drills for my problem areas, and then worry about timing in another 2 weeks?

Thanks!!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Need some LR help

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

keep drilling individual question types. the questions between about 13 and 20 are designed to give you timing issues, so just come up with a consistent approach to each type of question

Attorney at Play

New

Post by Attorney at Play » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:22 am

I've never actually tried this approach.. so I have no proof of its actual potential for success, but here's a thought.....

Assuming you're having the most trouble with the questions in the middle of the pack, maybe try a new strategy of answering all the questions on the first two or three pages, then doing the questions on the last two pages, and THEN going back and doing the middle questions.

Why would I advise this? Well, if timing is an issue for you, and if the middle questions keep you from actually finishing the section, then doing the first - last - middle approach might maximize your results.

1) You would attack those questions that you can get done the fastest initially, perhaps leaving you more time to do less questions.
2) You might do better on that middle pack? Why- because you would build up confidence going through questions faster. Knowing that you've already dealt with all of the questions you used to not have time to get to, this could perhaps raise your mental strength to more quickly destroy the middle bunch. Along the same lines, you would have recently tackled more questions and be in more of a "groove" coming in for those last questions, which who knows, might help you out.

Factors you might wanna consider include whether turning the pages forth and back would waste time for you or throw you off. But hey might be worth a shot.

loisaida

New

Post by loisaida » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Definitely worth a shot with some practice. Thanks!! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”