Giving up? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vahopeful2012

New

Giving up?

Post by vahopeful2012 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:19 am

I took another PT this morning (#29) and did worse than I've ever done: 158. That is lower than my diagnostic! I stuck with my average missed in RC and LG (-2 for both). However, my LR went down tremendously, from my personal highest at -6 (which still sucks) to -15! I've never done this bad before on LR and the question types I missed weren't even the ones I normally have trouble with. With almost four weeks left til the October LSAT, do you think I should just give up on applying to law school this time around? My goal is T14 and with a GPA of 3.9, that should be possible with a good LSAT score...

KevinP

Silver

Re: Giving up?

Post by KevinP » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 am

Without knowing specifics (burn-out, testing conditions, whether 29 was a fluke, prep materials, etc.), I can't really give you specific advice. Even then, you're still probably the best judge of whether you'll be ready by October.
vahopeful2012 wrote: With almost four weeks left til the October LSAT, do you think I should just give up on applying to law school this time around?
No. If you don't feel like you're ready for October postpone until December. You will be at a disadvantage but you still should get into a T14 if you score high enough. Either way, a 3.9 is a wonderful GPA and therefore don't waste it. Best of luck to you.

vahopeful2012

New

Post by vahopeful2012 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks, KevinP. I don't know if it's burnout, since I've only taken one PT this week. However, a number of unrelated stress due to family and moving back to college might be the primary reasons. And, like you said, #29 could be just a fluke for me. I'll see how the next few go before I postpone I guess.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 pm

I wouldnt give up. IF its burnout from either test prep or life changes ( and moving in to school causes more stress, especially if you are trying to get some time in to study) then dont worry about it. Take a day off, get settled and go at it again. Also, I dont know how many tests youve taken or how long you have studied, but if you are just beginning to learn the material and how to take the test- then you should be prepared to see your score go down in whatever section type you are working on- as it takes longer to get the techniques down ( and for LR you only have a minute and 20 seconds, or about that long to get the correct answer choice). Just keep track of what type of questionsyou are getting wrong- and where they are in the section, and how much time you have remaining when you get to them- and look for trends there. THre is still a decent amount of time left before you have to take the test- so dont stress out too much. WOrst case secenaio is you postpone until december- and if you dont like how your cycle plays out- sit out a year and apply next cycle ( and when you are waiting for your score- finalize all of your essays and submit the apps to some of your schools while waiting for the score).

adagio15

New

Post by adagio15 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 pm

I empathize. :( I keep getting on average the same number of questions wrong section after section. With 4/5 weeks left I'm tempted to postpone until December. If I do postpone the test though and I have the option of putting off applying for a year, is it better to just do so? I don't know how applying late December would hurt my application for a T14.

Try giving it a couple more weeks and make a decision then. At least now we have the option to wait until the day before test day to cancel our registration. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 pm

I think you can do it in the amount of time you have left. I wouldn't squander the GPA.

vahopeful2012

New

Post by vahopeful2012 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement. I haven't looked at LSAT material since last weekend, but I'm finally settled at school and classes started the other day. This morning (Thursday) I took Superprep B and got a 162 (I completely bombed the LG section, missing 10 of the questions--wasn't too bad considering I guessed on 12 of them). I'll keep trying to improve my score. And if that still doesn't work, maybe I'll just do the MCAT instead (got a 30 on my diagnostic a few months ago) and go to med school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”