Keep going? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Attorney at Play

New

Keep going?

Post by Attorney at Play » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:51 am

Hey Guys,

I took my first diagnostic summer of last year and scored a 149. I've studied on and off over the course of the past year at moderate intensity at best. I've begun amping it up recently with the plans of taking the October LSAT. My highest score thus far is 163, and averaging in the low 160s. (AVGS LR -4 LR -4, GAMES -5, RC -9) I digress. At this point, I am beginning to study like I've never studied before with the 6 weeks or so I have left to go. What do you think are my chances of breaking the 170 barrier by Oct 1st/how should I go about studying? Would postponing to December be a wise move? I appreciate any insight.

Studied thus far: decent amt of Blueprint material, completed over half of RC and LR bible, and I have around 35-40 UNDONE practice tests.

Best

whirledpeas86

Silver

Re: Keep going?

Post by whirledpeas86 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 am

The thing that was most helpful for me was setting up a regular study schedule. I would do two practice tests a week, one on saturday morning and the other Wednesday after work. I would do drills on my weak areas two nights a week with a friend of mine who was also taking the LSAT. Getting on a regular schedule that I forced myself to stick to and telling my friends/housemates about it really helped me commit to studying. If you're taking yhe test in October, you should probably be doing two PTs a week, working from least recent to most recent so you still have recent PTs to do closer to the exam.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 am

I think that your chances are low.

clouds101

New

Post by clouds101 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:27 am

Attorney at Play wrote:Hey Guys,

I took my first diagnostic summer of last year and scored a 149. I've studied on and off over the course of the past year at moderate intensity at best. I've begun amping it up recently with the plans of taking the October LSAT. My highest score thus far is 163, and averaging in the low 160s. (AVGS LR -4 LR -4, GAMES -5, RC -9) I digress. At this point, I am beginning to study like I've never studied before with the 6 weeks or so I have left to go. What do you think are my chances of breaking the 170 barrier by Oct 1st/how should I go about studying? Would postponing to December be a wise move? I appreciate any insight.

Studied thus far: decent amt of Blueprint material, completed over half of RC and LR bible, and I have around 35-40 UNDONE practice tests.

Best

Chances of breaking 170 barrier? It's different for everyone, but I have observed that many test takers who did vey well had average practice scores of 170+. If you can't get 170+ on practice tests before Oct, you might want to consider taking it in Dec.

How should I go about studying? ...I have around 35+ PT leftover... Like the above poster said, schedule in the # of PTs to do each week and use the leftovers for drilling/experimental sections. As a bonus, think of it as a logic game of sorts :)

from http://www.downthelegalrabbithole.wordpress.com

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Yea you really need to clean up those games. Those 5 points could put you so much closer and will probably be the easiest to obtain. Try doing every LG that you encounter like 3 times (different days ofcourse). What is your approach to RC? Manhattan has a good RC guide, better than PS for me at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attorney at Play

New

Post by Attorney at Play » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

gaud wrote:Yea you really need to clean up those games. Those 5 points could put you so much closer and will probably be the easiest to obtain. Try doing every LG that you encounter like 3 times (different days ofcourse). What is your approach to RC? Manhattan has a good RC guide, better than PS for me at least.
That's the plan. Logical reasoning is my strongest section, which I feel is not quite right because I should be getting perfect in games. I read Manhattan a couple months back and my RC went down to -5. But then I stopped practicing, forgot the methods, and mistakes went back up. I'm just struck with an odd combination of dread and boredom every time I turn the page to start an RC section, and I guess that's the biggest thing I need to overcome.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Yea, it happens, the passages are not always the most exciting material. I know this will sound cliche, but take what you read personally... in the '3 180's and taking your questions' thread Dave mentions to look for a single sentence that summarizes the main idea of the passage and it may help you focus better, or you could try maybe bubbling or underlining.

But i would definitely start practicing more RC sections as well as LG

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”