Can negative and positive reasoning be parallel? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ihaslsats

New

Can negative and positive reasoning be parallel?

Post by ihaslsats » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a specific test question as an example -- so I'll have to explain a hypothetical. If you have a parallel reasoning question in which the reasoning structure of the question stem and one of the answer choice matches up, but the only difference is one makes a positive conclusion, while the other makes a negative conclusion, do you think the answer choice would still be correct?

Ex: Question stem has cause + effect reasoning and has a conclusion that something is true; answer choice has cause + effect reasoning and has a conclusion that something is NOT true.

Could the reasoning in this question stem/answer-choice be considered parallel?

suspicious android

Silver

Re: Can negative and positive reasoning be parallel?

Post by suspicious android » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Postive and negative terms are just facts, they don't necessarily change the logical structure of a passage.

A --> B ---> C, therefore A --> C

~X --> Y ---> ~Z, therefore ~X --> ~Z

Those two arguments are parallel, they arrive at their conclusion via the same method of reasoning.

However, in the particular instance you mention, I don't think the argument would be parallel, though I'd have to see the actual argument to be sure. Since the crucial part of one of the arguments is that a causal connection exists, but the other argument concludes a causal connection doesn't exist, those are different argument methods.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Can negative and positive reasoning be parallel?

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:54 pm

ihaslsats wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have a specific test question as an example -- so I'll have to explain a hypothetical. If you have a parallel reasoning question in which the reasoning structure of the question stem and one of the answer choice matches up, but the only difference is one makes a positive conclusion, while the other makes a negative conclusion, do you think the answer choice would still be correct?

Ex: Question stem has cause + effect reasoning and has a conclusion that something is true; answer choice has cause + effect reasoning and has a conclusion that something is NOT true.

Could the reasoning in this question stem/answer-choice be considered parallel?
Banned for alting.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”