Likliehood of a higher score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cking2014

New

Likliehood of a higher score

Post by cking2014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 am

I have been studying for the LSAT for a while with Princeton Review and am switching to Powerscore on August 13 for the October 1 test. After studying with Princeton Review for so long, do you think there would be a problem switching to a new type of class? Has anyone taken Powerscore? And if so, how much did your score improve by the end of the full length course. I'm not going to say my score, but it isn't good, and I was just wondering if it is feasible for me to jump a significant number of points after trying for so long. Thanks for any input!

nmcdgt

Bronze

Re: Likliehood of a higher score

Post by nmcdgt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 am

The problem with doing this is that they will more than likely have a different method of approaching the problems (including different notations, etc), and trying to change what you've been doing for a long time may not be the best idea. Are you just not happy with Princeton Review? You may be better off trying to get a private tutor through Princeton instead to work with you on your weak areas. That and get some PTs to drill on.

cking2014

New

Post by cking2014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 am

I have had a private tutor for a few months, and my score isn't really improving. I have been with princeton review on and off for 2 years and it just isn't working. I don't want to get confused with a new approach, but what I'm doing so far isn't working. I just hope it works well for me, because my score just isn't good!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:50 am

Forget everything Princeton Review taught you and go into Powerscore with a clean slate. There will be conflicts in their styles, but almost assuredly Powerscore's methods will be more solid.

cking2014

New

Post by cking2014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:22 pm

That's what I was wondering. Has anyone heard anything about Manhattan LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Post by OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:55 pm

I have heard great things about Manhattan LSAT's approach to LR and RC. Their LG approach doesn't work so well for me, but that is probably because I have been through the LG Bible a couple times (the old-dog-new-tricks phenomenon).

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:13 pm

The problem with all of these approaches is you are not leaving enough time between the prep class and exam day. Scores generally improve the most after you take all of the prep strategies and master them via practice. During the class you are still just learning how to approach problems and should be worried more about process than speed. Speed comes with practice and repetition. If you have a low score now, it's likely definitely worth taking more time to improve and holding off on taking the LSAT until you have done everything in your power to do well on the test. Yes, applications should be in early for the best results, but it is far preferable to have a 5 point higher lsat and apply in january after the december test than rushing to take a test you aren't prepared for and having worse options as a result.

Also, StratusPrep for a boutique lsat prep is supposed to be good.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:24 am

OnceUponAMemo wrote:The problem with all of these approaches is you are not leaving enough time between the prep class and exam day. Scores generally improve the most after you take all of the prep strategies and master them via practice. During the class you are still just learning how to approach problems and should be worried more about process than speed. Speed comes with practice and repetition. If you have a low score now, it's likely definitely worth taking more time to improve and holding off on taking the LSAT until you have done everything in your power to do well on the test. Yes, applications should be in early for the best results, but it is far preferable to have a 5 point higher lsat and apply in january after the december test than rushing to take a test you aren't prepared for and having worse options as a result.

Also, We're sorry, help is not available for a boutique lsat prep is supposed to be good.
This is a huge point that a lot of people miss. Totally agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”