To take a course or not Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
loomstate

Bronze

To take a course or not

Post by loomstate » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:39 am

Hey there. I'm sitting for the Oct test, and I have been self studying using a study schedule and a variation of the pike method.

My initial diagnostic was a 142 untimed about 4 months ago. I'm now averaging 162 untimed, after finishing one bible, and half of the other. I was thinking about taking a TM/BP/PS in person class and still continuing my study schedule by myself, but I am not sure if I should. Also worth mentioning that I will be enrolled full time for senior year starting late August.

Should I stay with my study schedule, or take a class in addition to it, if I am shooting for a 172+? Cheers.

shoeshine

Silver

Re: To take a course or not

Post by shoeshine » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 am

The courses are only designed to get you into the 160-165 range. If you truly want a 170+ you should consider augmenting your self prep with a tutor or increasing the frequency of your PTs and studying.

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:33 am

shoeshine wrote:The courses are only designed to get you into the 160-165 range.
I hate this myth so much. It's just not true at all.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:40 am

minnesotasam wrote:
shoeshine wrote:The courses are only designed to get you into the 160-165 range.
Thanks for the feedback. Congrats on your score, did you supplement the required coursework? What was your experience like?

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:53 am

All of my studying was done through my course. My experience was great, my instructor pushed me not to settle for a "good" score and to focus on maximizing my potential. Any instructor worth a damn won't let a student stagnate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totaltest.milan

New

Post by totaltest.milan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 am

Tutor here. Whenever I studied for any of my tests I always did it on my own, and still do. I guess I feel more confident and in control. I got 99% on this one and if I could do it again I wouldn't take a course or hire a tutor. So I guess it depends on the person. Whether you should take a course or get a tutor depends on you. You've made significant improvements and there's no reason to think that you won't continue to do so. I would hesitate to recommend that you take a class because it seems like you've covered a lot of ground and my guess is that you'd simply be seeing a lot of stuff that you've already done. If you see that you're making progress and aren't encountering confusions that you can't clear up then it's probably a good idea to stick with what you're doing. If you hit areas where you're not making progress then the best thing might be to get somebody who can help you focus on those areas.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:23 pm

minnesotasam wrote:
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”