Give me advice on LSAT tutoring Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Peg

Bronze

Give me advice on LSAT tutoring

Post by Peg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:06 am

On Monday I'm going to start tutoring this kid and he's paying me $20/hour (couldn't bring myself to charge more because I'm a novice at tutoring), and I really want to make sure he gets his money's worth. I'm not sure how to go about planning lessons and teaching them, however. I've told him to buy the LR and LG Bibles, and I've given him the one book I have left, which is the Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests. He doesn't have a lot of money, so I haven't told him to buy the Kaplan Mastery Book.

He doesn't have much time before the October LSAT, so I'm thinking of teaching 3 hours a day until July ends, so we can cover all the concepts in LG, RC, and LR I have a few questions:

- Where can I find extra LSAT problems (like LG and LR) for free (and LEGALLY) to give my student extra practice?

- I think my teaching will be mostly with the voice and less with diagrams and charts, so I think my student will be reducing to scribbling notes while I talk. Talking is easier for me, but is it easier for him? Should I make lecture notes for each lesson and email them to him after class? What's the best way to make sure it sticks in his head?

- Should I proctor his tests and should I charge for proctoring, or is it more common to let the student take the tests at home? I know tutors at the big test prep companies get paid for proctoring, but I don't know what private tutors do.

- In order to maintain honesty about hours, should I make a ledger sheet and enter the starting time and ending time, and have the student sign after each class, so we know how many hours are covered? How do other private tutors handle this?

- Where do you usually take your students to study? The library is a no-no, we'd get thrown out for whispering. Cafes are a little too noisy. I thought of public parks and lawns on the kid's university campus, but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeffort

Gold

Re: Give me advice on LSAT tutoring

Post by Jeffort » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:03 am

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you are experienced/knowledgeable enough to be a paid tutor just yet.

If you scored 98-99th percentile and want to go into teaching and tutoring students for the LSAT, try applying to become an instructor with one of the major reputable prep companies. If you pass the screening you will get training and hands on experience with students using a supplied/structured curriculum. That is a good way to learn the basic ropes of working as an LSAT prep provider.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”