Testmasters or PowerScore? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cking2014

New

Testmasters or PowerScore?

Post by cking2014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 am

I have been taking Princeton Review courses for the LSAT for over 2 years now, but I am still not doing as well as I had hoped and I am taking the Ocotber test. Due to how much money I have already invested, I cannot afford to keep studying for the LSAT after the October test, so this is my last shot. I scored TERRIBLY on my first tes, 132. But, UNTIMED, I am scoring a 155. I am taking a timed test tomorrow just to see how much I have improved. I want to get into a good school, not a mediocre school, so I was wondering which course would be better to take? Testmasters, or PowerScore? I am already VERY familiar with the test, but I would be switching to a new way of studying. Please help with any input! This is my last shot, and I need to make it a good one!

nelaw2010

Bronze

Re: Testmasters or PowerScore?

Post by nelaw2010 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:54 am

Depending on the score you get on the timed test, you might want to wait later than October.

I have heard great things about TM, and I used PowerScore (self-study) and loved it.

The best advice I can give you is that while TM or PS might work for you, neither might work for you. If the latter happens, you will have to self-study until you figure out what works best for you. It seems like most of the high scorers did a hybrid of different systems.

Check out these links for some great info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120471

Remember, learning the LSAT is like learning an instrument. Nobody can teach it to you, you must teach it to yourself.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 am

I took Testmasters so I'll vouch for them. My class was real solid and every person I know who took it at other locations was very satisfied as well.

But if you self-study, you should purchase the PowerScore books.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:04 am

cking2014 wrote:I have been taking Princeton Review courses for the LSAT for over 2 years now
This requires more explanation before anyone can suggest to you alternate studying methods. I think certain methods and companies are better than others, but unless you got extremely unlucky and got the absolute worst LSAT teachers ever, I doubt you're going to see a major difference no matter where you go. There's just not *that* much difference between companies.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:12 am

I give this troll attempt a 146, a bit below average.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:49 am

My friend took a Princeton course and did not like it. He gave me his used workbooks and I didnt like what I saw at all. (He said the best thing about the course was the few free hours of private tutoring.)

But, I sat in the classroom for a Testmasters course a few times and thought their methods are superior to Princeton's (although I got lucky since the instructor was my friend and I found it easy to understand him). So you might like it better than Princeton. I hear PowerScore and Testmasters are almost identical, though. Personally, I wouldn't take a course and would just study on my own.

Whichever you choose, make sure you still devote most of your time to studying on your own. Good luck and keep a positive attitude!

cking2014

New

Post by cking2014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 am

I was just looking at another test prep company called blueprint. Any input on them? Thanks so far everybody for all your help. My improvement untimed is 30 points, so I am confidednt that with a better testing strategy and better improvement on time management, I can kill this test!!!

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:03 am

cking2014 wrote:I was just looking at another test prep company called blueprint. Any input on them? Thanks so far everybody for all your help. My improvement untimed is 30 points, so I am confidednt that with a better testing strategy and better improvement on time management, I can kill this test!!!
TestMasters > Blueprint in my mind. Had copies of TM, BP, and PowerScore's books - I liked TM & PowerScore more, and I found errors in BP's books when I looked through them.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:16 am

Also, you can't really compare timed and untimed test scores. In addition to analytical thinking, one of the chief challenges of this test is it's time constraint.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”