A Grad Student's Road to 170 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NeedtoStudy

New

A Grad Student's Road to 170

Post by NeedtoStudy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 pm

I scored a sub-160 on my only official LSAT and I am trying to get a 170+ on the October or December test.

I'm planning on doing the following:

Monday - 50 LR by type, 4 LG by type, 4 RC by type
Tuesday - 1hr LR bible, 1hr RC bible, 1hr LG bible
Wednesday - Practice test (PT's 25-45)
Thursday - 50 LR by type, 4 LG by type, 4 RC by type
Friday - 1hr LR bible, 1hr RC bible, 1hr LG bible
Saturday - Practice test (PT's 46-64 and breaks on the Oct and Dec test days)
Sunday - Off

I figure this will take no more than 4 hours on any one day. However, I think I am overlooking review and focusing far too much on practicing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, I am pretty sure I'll finish the bibles quickly so I want to do the 180 book by Kaplan.

Thanks.

EarlCat

Silver

Re: A Grad Student's Road to 170

Post by EarlCat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm

NeedtoStudy wrote:Monday - 50 LR by type, 4 LG by type, 4 RC by type
Tuesday - 1hr LR bible, 1hr RC bible, 1hr LG bible
Wednesday - Practice test (PT's 25-45)
Thursday - 50 LR by type, 4 LG by type, 4 RC by type
Friday - 1hr LR bible, 1hr RC bible, 1hr LG bible
Saturday - Practice test (PT's 46-64 and breaks on the Oct and Dec test days)
Sunday - Off
I'd mix the bible work with the questions-by-type practice, so M T Th F would all look alike with a mix of reading and practicing questions that correspond to what you read.
I figure this will take no more than 4 hours on any one day.
On M and Th, you have scheduled basically an entire test's worth of material. That's over 2.5 hours TIMED. Taking an extra minute on each question is gonna put you over 4 hours. The majority of your practice should be untimed (sloooooow). If you can do all of this material in under 4 hours, you're not doing it right.
However, I think I am overlooking review and focusing far too much on practicing.
Agree. You need review time either on or after your test days. That might cut away some of your bible/practice days.
Also, I am pretty sure I'll finish the bibles quickly so I want to do the 180 book by Kaplan.
Don't. It's garbage.

rubydandun

New

Post by rubydandun » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 pm

The most important thing is that you spend a "more than you think you need" amount of time analyzing mistakes. Actually write out "why i got this wrong". Trust me. This is coming from someone who improved 19 points from diag to the real thing.

NeedtoStudy

New

Post by NeedtoStudy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 am

Earl, thanks for the great advice on this thread. I completely agree; I should read the LR section and practice with the corresponding LR by type questions. I should also be using this for learning the question types, I should not be using these questions for practice. I should also focus on reviewing these questions and really figuring out why I got each question wrong. Thanks ruby, I can really see the value in that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”