Ordering games/RC passages Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
glucose101

Bronze

Ordering games/RC passages

Post by glucose101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Some really good advice I've heard is to skip potentially difficult games, and do them last. Although I know you'd be saving time long-term, how would you know if a game's easy or not (I mean, some are easier to spot than others)...and how did you make the switch from doing them sequentially to not?

flexityflex86

Silver

Re: Ordering games/RC passages

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm

glucose101 wrote:Some really good advice I've heard is to skip potentially difficult games, and do them last. Although I know you'd be saving time long-term, how would you know if a game's easy or not (I mean, some are easier to spot than others)...and how did you make the switch from doing them sequentially to not?
Kaplan Mastery Book

Also, this:

--LinkRemoved--

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:14 pm

I have the Kaplan book. I know it's time investment to read parts of the games, but I generally like to finish something I've started...and I feel like if you've wasted a minute reading bits and pieces, you might as well try it. I know this mentality is flawed, so I'm trying to seek on advice to cross over, so to speak.

thelong

Silver

Post by thelong » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:29 pm

I generally go in order too. I mean, in AR I will certainly move on to the next question if it is giving me more trouble than it is worth and then come back to it, as usually I'm just overlooking something simple that I'm not going to see until I shift gears. But I don't usually take the four games out of order, or any RC section. I also tend to finish my sections with time to spare, and figure I have to get to all of them anyway.

Then again, I've heard this suggested often as well and I'm no LSAT pro so maybe I should give it a try and see. I just feel, too, that I'd be throwing away a minute here and there skimming passages and questions rather than just getting to them.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 pm

If you're someone who consistently runs short on time, this makes sense. Otherwise, just go in order. To jump around though, you need to be able to identify what type of game you're dealing with. Simple linear ordering and stable in/out grouping games are typically the most straightforward, easiest, and least time-consuming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 pm

I guess it's things like that--how would you know if it's a stable in/out game. You'd have to spend, about, 30 seconds, no? And like I said, I know that isn't nearly as much as running into a dead-end game, but 30 seconds is quite a bit of time.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 pm

glucose101 wrote:I guess it's things like that--how would you know if it's a stable in/out game. You'd have to spend, about, 30 seconds, no? And like I said, I know that isn't nearly as much as running into a dead-end game, but 30 seconds is quite a bit of time.

Yeah, you have to read the setup and sometimes the rules to know. It's a trade-off. You have plenty of time to experiment with what works for you before you take the real deal. Try different things. Get to know LG really well with practice. Then work on timing. If you're running short, play with reading through all the setups first and see if that helps. It may or it may not. Everyone is different.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Figured there was no magic way of gauging level without taking any time up. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”