Should I be doing the LR Bible question sets timed? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
notaznguy

Bronze

Should I be doing the LR Bible question sets timed?

Post by notaznguy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm

So I'm on chapter 6 conditional reasoning of the LR bible right now. I just finished it and did the 6 question set at the end. I got 3 right and 3 wrong, though it really should have been 4 right and 2 wrong because the only mistake in the last question was I diagrammed it oppositely (i.e. should have been CD --> AB, but I wrote it as AB --> CD).

I went over my mistakes and understood what I did wrong and I also reviewed why I got the other ones correct. The problem also is that I am really taking forever to do these problems. If it weren't for question 2, it would have taken my around 10 minutes to do the 5 questions. Question 2 alone took me 5 minutes and I still got it wrong, but I thought that one was really difficult =(

Anyways, when should I start being worried about time? This is my 7th day of studying the LR Bible so far with around 2-3 hours of actual studying a day.

sarahlawg

Silver

Re: Should I be doing the LR Bible question sets timed?

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:52 pm

I wouldn't time the LR bible - it's when you're learning the skills. Take as much time as you need to learn them. Time yourself on PTs (though do a few untimed as well).

lou

New

Post by lou » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I, personally, worked through a LOT of logic game questions as slow as I needed to... until I got the hang of it. After you feel comfortable diagramming each different kid of LG, then work on your speed. Once you can figure out immediately what kind of question it is and diagram efficiently, the timing should come more naturally.

I don't think there's a specific "Once you do 10 LG, you should be doing them at X speed". Go at your own pace until you figure it out and don't struggle with every question, then time yourself.

When I moved to timing myself too quickly, I got really stressed out and my confidence shattered - and killed the remaining questions.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:15 pm

lou wrote:I, personally, worked through a LOT of logic game questions as slow as I needed to... until I got the hang of it. After you feel comfortable diagramming each different kid of LG, then work on your speed. Once you can figure out immediately what kind of question it is and diagram efficiently, the timing should come more naturally.

I don't think there's a specific "Once you do 10 LG, you should be doing them at X speed". Go at your own pace until you figure it out and don't struggle with every question, then time yourself.

When I moved to timing myself too quickly, I got really stressed out and my confidence shattered - and killed the remaining questions.
since we're not staying on topic, you should do RC untimed until you get the basics down

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Do not do them untimed. Why would you time how long it takes you to learn to do something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lou

New

Post by lou » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

loomstate wrote:
lou wrote:I, personally, worked through a LOT of logic game questions as slow as I needed to... until I got the hang of it. After you feel comfortable diagramming each different kid of LG, then work on your speed. Once you can figure out immediately what kind of question it is and diagram efficiently, the timing should come more naturally.

since we're not staying on topic, you should do RC untimed until you get the basics down
Rawr. :( Fail.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:02 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:Do not do them untimed. Why would you time how long it takes you to learn to do something?
Huh? Not sure which side you are taking here.

OP: Don't worry about timing during the learning process. It's important to get the fundamentals and a routine step by step systematic method ingrained before trying to solve questions quickly.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 pm

1. Do problems for accuracy untimed.
2. Start timing and apply the learned strategies at a reasonable pace.
3. Drill for both timing and accuracy.
4. Test day
5. ???
6. Profit!

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:03 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:Do not do them untimed.
This is not bad advice to not take.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”