Parallel Reasoning Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rgndvo

Bronze

Parallel Reasoning Questions

Post by rgndvo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm generally pretty accurate on these, but they are such a Time Sap. Without my spending about 4 minutes on the tougher ones, I would probably have about 10 minutes to go back and check my answers for LR. A huge bonus.

My question is: how do those who are good at these questions diagram them? I'm looking for an efficient and comprehensive method.

sharklasers

New

Re: Parallel Reasoning Questions

Post by sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Don't use a diagram.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:34 pm

For straight up parallel reasoning Qs, I always diagram. They are time sucks. I'd work on getting under about 2:30 minutes on these. If you can do that and move quickly through the early Qs in a section, you should be fine. For parallel flaw Qs, you just need to identify the type of flaw and then id the same type of flaw in the answer choices, so diagramming isn't always necessary.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Use a diagram for tough ones. It's better to spend a few extra seconds that to get it wrong trying to juggle data mentally. Work on really hard ones, like in Kaplan 180. After I did that, I could do most of them mentally.

Rockinnick

New

Post by Rockinnick » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm

In order to correctly answer these questions, I've found that you have to diagram. Here is my plan of attack for these questions is as follows:

1) Read and diagram the stimulus. Watch for strength words(usually,probably) as these will be replicated in the answers.
2) Determine if the question is a parallel the flaw or a valid argument
3) I read through all the answer choices next. Normally you can eliminate 1 or 2 answers that are clearly incorrect
4) Spend the time diagraming the remaining choices and find the correct one that matches.

By paying attention to the strength of words used in the stimulus, you can sometimes eliminate answers that are too weak/strong. These types of tricks are what can buy you additional time for review at the end.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks! That's excellent advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”