Logical Reasoning -- How much do you diagram? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SoPro

Bronze

Logical Reasoning -- How much do you diagram?

Post by SoPro » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm sure this has been asked an answered, but my search yielded no results.

I'm taking the October LSAT, and I began drilling logical reasoning questions today. Not surprisingly, I'm far more accurate when I draw a quick diagram, but I realize that this technique kills time.

For those who have taken the LSAT, practiced a good amount, or would otherwise know, how much do you diagram during a LR section? With practice, does the need for diagramming naturally decrease? Or should I wean myself from diagramming?

wvu

Gold

Re: Logical Reasoning -- How much do you diagram?

Post by wvu » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Generally there's one question at the beginning you can/should answer before drawing a diagram, comparing it directly to the rules of the game. After that, I absolutely suggest doing a diagram if you can. A minute or two spent on a good diagram could mean breezing through the rest of the game's questions. I don't think you should "wean" yourself from doing it - I did it on every question; just try to decrease the time it takes you to create a good one.

LSATPREPPER

New

Post by LSATPREPPER » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:54 pm

June 2011: LR1 -0, LR2 -2.

Minimally if at all. I had PT's where I did not diagram - did so lightly during the real thing.

I didn't find it useful except for TOUGH formal logic questions.

EDIT: I believe the OP is talking about Logical Reasoning (Arguments) rather than games.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:54 pm

He asked about LR diagramming, not LG diagramming.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:20 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gizmo

New

Post by Gizmo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 am

Sometimes for complicated parallel reasoning questions. Otherwise, not at all.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:37 am

Gizmo wrote:Sometimes for complicated parallel reasoning questions. Otherwise, not at all.
Seconded.

To add, sometimes it helps in assumption questions but I don't know if the time wasted is worth it, it depends on how your mind works. An assumption question can sometimes go (if 1, 2 and if 2 then 3), (4, therefore 3) where the assumption is that (4 is 2 or if 4 then 2). This is a somewhat sketchy example. Like another poster said, it works best for parallel reasoning. Get the Powerscore Bible (LR) if you haven't already done so, it goes more into detail. I personally only used it on an assumption question when the passage was unusually long and on parallel reasoning but everybody's different.

Good luck!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:57 am

I initially went backwards after starting an LSAT class because I spent too much time diagramming. With practice, you will find that diagramming is only necessary on a few of the more difficult questions in each LR section. I'd agree with the previous poster that it helps with parallel reasoning (although you need to eliminate one or two choices without it or else risk spending way too much time on that question.) I also found it helpful on the short stimulus questions with hardcore conditional reasoning.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 am

On LR passages, quickly diagram all formal logic questions that you cannot solve in your head. Many times, they like to use formal logic with parallel reasoning questions, plus at least two or three "philosopher's corner" questions. You should definitely diagram them because the correct answer is often a twisted and reversed contrapositive as opposed to just a contrapositive or other easily recognizable answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”