Is an LSAT class worth the time/money? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
joefow91

New

Is an LSAT class worth the time/money?

Post by joefow91 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm

I feel like Powerscore books are good enough prep. What does everyone think?

KevinP

Silver

Re: Is an LSAT class worth the time/money?

Post by KevinP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm

joefow91 wrote:I feel like Powerscore books are good enough prep. What does everyone think?
The answer depends. But in my opinion, you can achieve the same result with self-study if you discipline yourself so no, I don't think a class is worth it if you are willing to put in the required effort. Also, you're obviously going to have to supplement Powerscore's books with real LSATs.

The following link might help.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=41657

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Self-study with the LSAC prep books and past tests seems to be working pretty well for me, so I would say classes probably aren't worth it. It kind of depends on your style though. I typically learn better on my own in general than from a class/tutor because I like to develop strategies that fit my style of thinking, but other people like to hear ideas from another person.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm

KevinP wrote:
joefow91 wrote:I feel like Powerscore books are good enough prep. What does everyone think?
The answer depends. But in my opinion, you can achieve the same result with self-study if you discipline yourself so no, I don't think a class is worth it if you are willing to put in the required effort. Also, you're obviously going to have to supplement Powerscore's books with real LSATs.

The following link might help.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=41657
TCR. Depends on your discipline; I didn't have any :) so I went with a course. Also, one more thing is that course instructors can handle questions not covered in books. Good luck!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:33 am

For my first test, I did really well with self-study, but it was hard work, and I still didn't quite "get" the test. (Granted, I was using crappy books with fake questions and little explanation.) I just kinda brute-forced the whole thing without any plan or system. After learning from someone who knew the test inside and out and who had been teaching it for years, I found the test much easier. It was kinda like the fog lifted and I could see the workings of the test that I didn't realize were there when I was self studying.

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:37 am

There's no universal answer to this, but i'm leaning towards no. I especially think they're worthless if you consider yourself an advanced student with the mental capability and discipline to learn your strengths and weaknesses and act accordingly.

I don't doubt that it helps people, but I do doubt that it helps people more than the same amount of hours put into even mildly effective solo studying would.

e: Like the above poster mentioned, if you're lost in the wilderness you probably need some outside help. But the fact that you already have your bibles leads me to believe that you got this shit, just go study your brains out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”