Cancellation and General Application Strategy Advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ESmith

New

Cancellation and General Application Strategy Advice

Post by ESmith » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm

I just took the June LSAT after about 3 days of preparation (I know) and am planning to take the October test.

I took June more for the experience than the score because I knew I hadn't prepared for it. I was planning to cancel because, while I feel confident about RC and LR, I didn't manage my time AT ALL on the games. I ended up guessing on half of the games questions. I've seen conflicting advice about cancelling, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insights particular to my situation.

I have a 3.1 undergrad GPA from a top-10 school due to serious health and family issues, which I know on its own rules out the top schools. However, I am finishing up a Masters in Public Health with a 4.0 GPA while working full-time. I have 4+ years of work experience: 1 year in public interest law as a class action litigation paralegal, a brief stint as a technology project manager, and almost 3 years in public health.

I feel confident that I can reach a 170 with serious study (my 3 cold practice tests were in the 164-168 range). I think that a 170 plus MPH and work experience should put me in the running for a number of well-regarded schools, though probably not T10 or T14.

So, given my situation, should I cancel my June LSAT knowing that it will be significantly lower than my goal? Or should I keep it as information to inform future preparation and an insurance policy on October?

As well, I'd appreciate any strategy advice on the application process related to my specific situation. I feel like my MPH and work experience should count for something, but I could be wrong.

shastaca

New

Re: Cancellation and General Application Strategy Advice

Post by shastaca » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Canceled scores do not usually get averaged for those schools that do; off the top of my head NYU and UW are a couple.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Do you think you did comparably to the PTs? If you're looking at a 164 I don't see why you should cancel, and it would be good to have a decent score recorded. Most schools will take the highest score anyway. I would hesitate to cancel because I would be uncomfortable putting all of my eggs in the October basket. You never know what could happen on test day, and illness, car accident, family emergency, and other factors could all come into play to influence your performance.

The work experience and graduate GPA won't mean much in admissions. Although "soft factors" like those may help you get in off of a waitlist. UGPA and LSAT are the important factors for law school admissions. Check out lawschoolpredictor.com to get an idea of where you are in terms of probability for admissions. With a 3.1/164 your highest ranked auto-admit is U of Miami in Florida. If you improved to a 168, the highest auto-admit would be Connecticut, but there are plenty of "strong consider" and "consider" schools for which you would be likely to get in.

Also, URM status would help improve your options if you happen to be African American or Hispanic, etc.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 pm

While your GPA takes you out of the running for the top half of the T14, a 170+ LSAT will do a lot to make up for it. Unfortunately your grad GPA means nothing, the rest of your stuff is OK but nothing that will make your cycle better than your numbers. If you guessed on half the games questions, you're not breaking 170 so just cancel. Nobody will care. It's likely nobody will care if you get a 160 something and then a 170 something on your retake either.

Just worry more about breaking 170 than about whether to cancel or not.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

ESmith wrote:I just took the June LSAT after about 3 days of preparation
you will not be penalized for having a cancellation on your record, but a terrible score will take you out of the running for those schools that still average test scores. that, taken with your quote from above, makes 'cancel and retake' TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ESmith

New

Post by ESmith » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Any recommended resources for prepping for the Logic Games?

Also, what class would you recommend for someone shooting for 170+? I've heard Kaplan is more targeted to the 165 test taker, even in their "advanced" course.

OV2MI

New

Post by OV2MI » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:09 pm

ESmith wrote:Any recommended resources for prepping for the Logic Games?

Also, what class would you recommend for someone shooting for 170+? I've heard Kaplan is more targeted to the 165 test taker, even in their "advanced" course.

Powerscore's Logic Games Bible. Visit their website, they have some stuff for free.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:45 am

shastaca wrote:Canceled scores do not usually ever get averaged

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”