PowerScore RC Bible vs. Manhattan RC Guide for Oct test? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dasani13

Silver

PowerScore RC Bible vs. Manhattan RC Guide for Oct test?

Post by dasani13 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 am

I'll be taking the test in October.

I've done the LR Bible and I'm almost finished with the LG Bible. Now I have the RC Bible because it came as part of the "Trilogy Bible" package. However, I've seen a lot of comments about the Manhattan RC Guide and the consensus seems to be that it is the best prep book for the RC section.

Do you think I should just skip the RC Bible and buy the Manhattan Guide? I really don't care about the money: what's important to me now is that I use these 4 months as efficiently as possible. (I'll start doing PTs as soon as I'm finished with whichever RC book you guys recommend and the LSAC SuperPrep book.)

Postscript: I couldn't find any other topics on this because I'm not asking which book is better, I'm asking which would be better for my particular situation.

Thanks in advance!

gaud

Platinum

Re: PowerScore RC Bible vs. Manhattan RC Guide for Oct test?

Post by gaud » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:58 am

You could honestly read them both and not see a problem, however, the focus of each of the books are somewhat different (I've read both, prefer Manhattan RC to PS RC).

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 am

gaud wrote:You could honestly read them both and not see a problem.
I'm going to disagree here. I'd pick one. You don't want to mix and match methods and make the process more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it as simple as possible. Pick the best one and stick with it

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 am

The RCB is certainly considered significantly less useful than the LGB and the LRB - I don't think either would be a devastating choice, though.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:34 am

TMC116 wrote:
gaud wrote:You could honestly read them both and not see a problem.
I'm going to disagree here. I'd pick one. You don't want to mix and match methods and make the process more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it as simple as possible. Pick the best one and stick with it
Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely going to use just one of the two. I'm not sure which one yet, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 am

incompetentia wrote:The RCB is certainly considered significantly less useful than the LGB and the LRB - I don't think either would be a devastating choice, though.
I guess I'll just stick to the PowerScore RC Bible. Thanks!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Update:

I started the PS RC Bible 4 days ago and finished it today. I think I can confidently say that I learned almost nothing useful. The only thing from which I benefited was the practice passages/questions (and the explanations weren't even that great). Also, today I took the full practice RC section (June '08) in the end of the book, which is also the first time I take a full, timed RC section and this is how I scored:

Passage 1: -0
Passage 2: -1
Passage 3: -1
Passage 4: -5

Even though I had exactly 8 minutes left for the last passage, I freaked out 'cause I didn't have 8:45secs and completely lost focus. I ended up guessing on 5 or 6 of them, thus the score. Also, I feel like I spent way too much time on things that I should have done more quickly (reading and referring back to the passage).

So, the point of all that was to ask: Does Manhattan Guide's method differ substantially from PS's diagramming, etc? Does anyone think it'd be worth it to buy and switch to the Manhattan Guide now or just focus solely on taking as many PTs as possible??

Thanks in advance and sorry for the potential redundancy.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:36 am

I've recently purchased Manhattan's RC guide and Amazon is being extremely slow at shipping it so I haven't read it yet. However, from what I've heard, Manhattan's RC guide is far superior to Powerscore's. Manhattan uses the PEAR method I believe.

I'd prefer to read the book first before telling you whether I think it's worth switching or just jumping straight to PTs. So all I'll say is at least check it out.

Here's a link to the first chapter:
http://www.manhattanlsat.com/download/R ... xcerpt.pdf

Ocean64

Bronze

Post by Ocean64 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:53 pm

dasani13 wrote: I think I can confidently say that I learned almost nothing useful.
i know, same here. except now i view my stamps before licking them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:49 am

Ocean64 wrote:
dasani13 wrote: I think I can confidently say that I learned almost nothing useful.
i know, same here. except now i view my stamps before licking them.
hahah.. had to read it twice to catch the joke..

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:50 am

KevinP wrote:I've recently purchased Manhattan's RC guide and Amazon is being extremely slow at shipping it so I haven't read it yet. However, from what I've heard, Manhattan's RC guide is far superior to Powerscore's. Manhattan uses the PEAR method I believe.

I'd prefer to read the book first before telling you whether I think it's worth switching or just jumping straight to PTs. So all I'll say is at least check it out.

Here's a link to the first chapter:
http://www.manhattanlsat.com/download/R ... xcerpt.pdf
I think I'm gonna just buy it as well.. Let me know what you think of it..

ali3

New

Post by ali3 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Bumping to see what you think of the Manhattan guide. I'm in the same situation as you, OP. I am taking the October test, and have an (unread) RC Bible for the same reason you do. On previous standardized tests, RC was always my best subject.

I've taken one preptest and drilled two RC sections (timed) and am consistently missing between 7 and 10 questions. I don't know what's up with me-- maybe I need more practice, but I just don't get why I'm somehow better at answering questions about LR's formal logic and parallel reasoning than reading a damn passage correctly :?

ms08g

New

Post by ms08g » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 pm

ali3 wrote:Bumping to see what you think of the Manhattan guide. I'm in the same situation as you, OP. I am taking the October test, and have an (unread) RC Bible for the same reason you do. On previous standardized tests, RC was always my best subject.

I've taken one preptest and drilled two RC sections (timed) and am consistently missing between 7 and 10 questions. I don't know what's up with me-- maybe I need more practice, but I just don't get why I'm somehow better at answering questions about LR's formal logic and parallel reasoning than reading a damn passage correctly :?
There are no earthshattering tips in the MLSAT book that are going to get your score up significantly. However, the book is very good and useful in terms of giving you some perspective and structure for approaching each passage. There really isn't any substitute for doing an RC section every day and reviewing in depth, but if you think that you need some sort of guidance as far as picking out common wrong answer choices, and question types I would pick up the MLSAT guide. HTH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ali3

New

Post by ali3 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:22 pm

That does help, thanks! I'm definitely willing to drill extensively, but yeah, I think I need some help. T

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

get manhattan. it's really good

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:14 pm

ali3 wrote:Bumping to see what you think of the Manhattan guide. I'm in the same situation as you, OP. I am taking the October test, and have an (unread) RC Bible for the same reason you do. On previous standardized tests, RC was always my best subject.

Hey, I ordered the Manhattan RC Guide last week and still haven't received it lol.. but I did read the PowerScore RC Bible (in less than 4 days) and it was completely useless. I'm hoping the Manhattan Guide will be different, as I've heard it's much better.

I've always been good at RC and I can get -0 or -1 in the section if I had 10-11mins per passage.. But since we have less than 9 minutes, I have to rush, and just knowing that I have to rush already hinders my performance. I'm hoping the Manhattan RC guide will show me a way to mark the passage that'll make it easier for me to come back to it when I need to find an answer (I spend way too much time looking for text that will allow me to choose between the last 2 answer choices after eliminating the obviously incorrect ones).

I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it.. let me know as well.

ali3

New

Post by ali3 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Sounds great! I'll probably order it next week if you think it helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 am

I'm on chapter 3 and I've already learned more than I learned from the RC Bible!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 am

ali3,

I'm pretty much finished with MLSAT RC Guide and it's definitely worth the $40.

I haven't slept in 2 days though so I'm having issues right now lol, but ms08g said it best:
ms08g wrote: There are no earthshattering tips in the MLSAT book that are going to get your score up significantly. However, the book is very good and useful in terms of giving you some perspective and structure for approaching each passage. There really isn't any substitute for doing an RC section every day and reviewing in depth, but if you think that you need some sort of guidance as far as picking out common wrong answer choices, and question types I would pick up the MLSAT guide. HTH.

wishyfishy

New

Post by wishyfishy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:27 am

Ah I wish I'd seen this topic earlier. I'm having a similar dilemma on RC. My scores are really inconsistent on that section. I think I will be buying the Manhattan RC Guide as well. Thanks!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:33 am

wishyfishy wrote:Ah I wish I'd seen this topic earlier. I'm having a similar dilemma on RC. My scores are really inconsistent on that section. I think I will be buying the Manhattan RC Guide as well. Thanks!
Yes, you still have time and it's worth it. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”