Advice and Guidance Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SgtL

New

Advice and Guidance

Post by SgtL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:57 am

Making a recommended concise version of my original post to see if I can get some more insight:

Active Duty Military. Took June 2011. Pretty sure I was -2/-6 max for Sections 1-4. Reading Comp final section. Not sure how I did, anywhere from -2/-10. 3.48 GPA. Really not sure whether to keep or drop. Highest PT was a 169 and this felt better for the most part than that PT. Studied for about 2 months including prep course. Have absent on my record from 2009 Sept didn't take test because of deployment. Told it wouldn't affect my score. Really want Columbia or NYU. I know both are averagers.

Cancel or keep and plan for October? If its below 170, I'll retake either way. Thanks guys.
Last edited by SgtL on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xkcd09

New

Re: Advice and Guidance

Post by xkcd09 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 am

I wouldn't cancel if I were you. Even if you did make a few quick guesses at the end of RC (not even entirely random guesses either), that doesn't mean you won't get 170. With a -12 curve (pretty standard) and your assumption that you did well in other sections (of course, I don't know how you actually did in other sections, but if you thought you did really well, you prob did really well), you should be fine and perhaps still land in the 170 range. Last passage of RC is worth 5% of the entire exam; I don't think it's worth it to cancel the test because you did badly on 5% of the exam even though you did very well on 75% (2 LRs and LG).

(of course, if you completely bombed the whole RC section, you might be justified in canceling)

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 am

SgtL wrote:I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickleand any and all advice anyone is willing to take their time to offer is more than welcome.

I frequently browse this site for the immensely helpful advice including the wise discussions on "What pencil is the best to use for the LSAT?" (haha) amongst other more substantial topics. I have yet to see a situation similar to mine however, (likely I didn't look hard enough and wanted instant gratification) so I decided to reach out.

Anyway, I was scheduled to take the LSAT in September 2009. I am an active duty Marine and unfortunately I was tasked with a deployment just as my Kaplan test prep course was kicking off. Needless to say I wasn't around for the 2009 LSAT and even though my knowledge on the intricacies of the test was and is limited, I had an inherent feeling that it would be best for me to push the test back until I was in a more permanent, stable location. Spanning from 2009 until February of this year I was consistently traveling, and put all my focus into finishing undergraduate with the highest possible GPA; an especially difficult task since I was obviously not ready for college when I graduated from high school and rather than realizing that, I goofed off and put myself in a hole. Thankfully, I managed to bring myself to a 3.48 Cum Laude and graduated in December.

I landed in DC in February, and upon getting settled and determining this would be permanent for the most part, I decided I would take the LSAT this year. I started a prep course in April, and

registered for the LSAT in June.
My goal the entire time was to ensure that when I walked out of the test center (what was yesterday), that I didn't have the merit to question whether I "could have done more?". I don't feel that I in any way was more dedicated than most, however, it is very likely that a very large majority of my days from early April until this past Friday involved a minimum of four hours of preparation a day.

My first diagnostic was a 148 on 31 March. This was demoralizing and really put the test in perspective for me, and probably contributed significantly to my work ethic. As time progressed my improvement was at first very gradual, but then the difference was noticeable. My diagnostics and PTs were commonly breaking 160s generally in the mid range, with my final test being my highest score with a 169.

As time to test day neared, I started to notice that I (like most?) REALLY wanted to break 170, not necessarily for a particular school, although I would love to study in my home town of NY, but more for personal reasons, surely some psychological factor of wanting to beat the devil.

As I expected, things over the last two weeks were NOT conducive with the relaxing and study intensive environment I imagined. This included a breakup with my then girlfriend, and some other mistakes I made without correctly anticipating their impact on my mindset. These are in no way excuses for anything. My mistakes.

Enough with the needless details. Today, during the test I had a great mindset and really used some fantastic advice to get my mind right, and it HELPED.
I walked in and before I knew it, I was through LR1 completing all the questions in time; something that was never a guarantee and usually didn't happen. I had some hiccups in games, but I made it through LG2 and 3 without guessing once, and pretty confident and in a good zone.

Stayed in the zone during the break, sat down and continued what I thought was a great test with getting through 25/26 LR, with one guess. Relatively confident of the accuracy of my answers aside from the last 3 or 4. At this point I distinctly remember feeling like I was having my best test ever and deducing my final section is RC, which I am generally -2/-5, once my worst section (thanks Voyager!) led me to imagine a 170 may not be unattainable. I turned to Section 5, but kept that same determination as previous...except.

Adios confidence.
Hello LSAT Reading Comprehension. Brilliant test composition, it seems I wasn't the only one with an easier time in the other sections. Lull them to sleep and then douche it up with what I thought was the hardest reading comp section I'd encountered in 24 tests and countless practice sections. (Also, my little pep talk led to not setting my timer, which I had to do as reading the first passage). Anyway, first passage took me 10 minutes, and that led to a panic that I should have been able to control. That panic translated into a second passage that took much longer than needed and then, the science passage. Bummer. Five minute bell goes off as I turn to passage 4. I skim, and try to determine what both authors are getting at. I wouldn't call the last passage all guesses, actually some of the questions I was able to confidently bubble, but it left me with a complete loss of any judgement of how I may have done.

Battling with the desire to know all day, I had not contemplated canceling my score. I never had that intention. Then I started to google, and noticed that it is very possible to cause more detriment by not canceling than by doing so, for example if you have a lower than usual score, it can still play a role in admissions. Additionally, and most important is that I still have an "Absent" on my LSAT record from 2009. Although I called LSAC and determined it was NOT going to be viewed negatively, especially considering my circumstances, this "Absent" crept into my mind today.

My reasoning is that I am not experienced enough with the test to really have a good idea of where I landed. So let's assume I had a bad test and that my read was a bit off, I score a 159. Even if I take the test in October and reach my goal, I'm now sitting with a 170, 159, and an absent. Not the most attractive of portfolios.

If I cancel, now I'm sitting with a cancel, absent, and ?October? Probably making the retake more anxiety inducing than today.

Finally, the small chance that my "educated" and pure guesses on RC were on the money, and my read on 1-4 is right. As the day has dragged on I've decided this is probably not too likely. Is it worth the risk to wait and see? That's why I'm here.

I know this is a ton to read, and I don't expect nor ask anyone to take the time to read it, but I wanted to make sure all the pertinent information was there so if anyone were to offer advice, they have any info THEY may have used to make the decision if they were experiencing my issue.

If there are any questions, please fire away, and thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate that this place still strives to help the "competition" as many like to call it.
Oh and by the way, a large piece of someone's bumper was sitting in the left lane of the 95S on my way back tonight, and coming over a ridge I didn't know it was there. So now I have a large dent in my door panel and chipped/cracked bumper as well. Just venting. MOTHEREFFFFFF
FTFY

(seriously, that's a lot to read, you should be a little more concise)

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 am

NYC Law wrote:
SgtL wrote:I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickleand any and all advice anyone is willing to take their time to offer is more than welcome.

I frequently browse this site for the immensely helpful advice including the wise discussions on "What pencil is the best to use for the LSAT?" (haha) amongst other more substantial topics. I have yet to see a situation similar to mine however, (likely I didn't look hard enough and wanted instant gratification) so I decided to reach out.

Anyway, I was scheduled to take the LSAT in September 2009. I am an active duty Marine and unfortunately I was tasked with a deployment just as my Kaplan test prep course was kicking off. Needless to say I wasn't around for the 2009 LSAT and even though my knowledge on the intricacies of the test was and is limited, I had an inherent feeling that it would be best for me to push the test back until I was in a more permanent, stable location. Spanning from 2009 until February of this year I was consistently traveling, and put all my focus into finishing undergraduate with the highest possible GPA; an especially difficult task since I was obviously not ready for college when I graduated from high school and rather than realizing that, I goofed off and put myself in a hole. Thankfully, I managed to bring myself to a 3.48 Cum Laude and graduated in December.

I landed in DC in February, and upon getting settled and determining this would be permanent for the most part, I decided I would take the LSAT this year. I started a prep course in April, and

registered for the LSAT in June.
My goal the entire time was to ensure that when I walked out of the test center (what was yesterday), that I didn't have the merit to question whether I "could have done more?". I don't feel that I in any way was more dedicated than most, however, it is very likely that a very large majority of my days from early April until this past Friday involved a minimum of four hours of preparation a day.

My first diagnostic was a 148 on 31 March. This was demoralizing and really put the test in perspective for me, and probably contributed significantly to my work ethic. As time progressed my improvement was at first very gradual, but then the difference was noticeable. My diagnostics and PTs were commonly breaking 160s generally in the mid range, with my final test being my highest score with a 169.

As time to test day neared, I started to notice that I (like most?) REALLY wanted to break 170, not necessarily for a particular school, although I would love to study in my home town of NY, but more for personal reasons, surely some psychological factor of wanting to beat the devil.

As I expected, things over the last two weeks were NOT conducive with the relaxing and study intensive environment I imagined. This included a breakup with my then girlfriend, and some other mistakes I made without correctly anticipating their impact on my mindset. These are in no way excuses for anything. My mistakes.

Enough with the needless details. Today, during the test I had a great mindset and really used some fantastic advice to get my mind right, and it HELPED.
I walked in and before I knew it, I was through LR1 completing all the questions in time; something that was never a guarantee and usually didn't happen. I had some hiccups in games, but I made it through LG2 and 3 without guessing once, and pretty confident and in a good zone.

Stayed in the zone during the break, sat down and continued what I thought was a great test with getting through 25/26 LR, with one guess. Relatively confident of the accuracy of my answers aside from the last 3 or 4. At this point I distinctly remember feeling like I was having my best test ever and deducing my final section is RC, which I am generally -2/-5, once my worst section (thanks Voyager!) led me to imagine a 170 may not be unattainable. I turned to Section 5, but kept that same determination as previous...except.

Adios confidence.
Hello LSAT Reading Comprehension. Brilliant test composition, it seems I wasn't the only one with an easier time in the other sections. Lull them to sleep and then douche it up with what I thought was the hardest reading comp section I'd encountered in 24 tests and countless practice sections. (Also, my little pep talk led to not setting my timer, which I had to do as reading the first passage). Anyway, first passage took me 10 minutes, and that led to a panic that I should have been able to control. That panic translated into a second passage that took much longer than needed and then, the science passage. Bummer. Five minute bell goes off as I turn to passage 4. I skim, and try to determine what both authors are getting at. I wouldn't call the last passage all guesses, actually some of the questions I was able to confidently bubble, but it left me with a complete loss of any judgement of how I may have done.

Battling with the desire to know all day, I had not contemplated canceling my score. I never had that intention. Then I started to google, and noticed that it is very possible to cause more detriment by not canceling than by doing so, for example if you have a lower than usual score, it can still play a role in admissions. Additionally, and most important is that I still have an "Absent" on my LSAT record from 2009. Although I called LSAC and determined it was NOT going to be viewed negatively, especially considering my circumstances, this "Absent" crept into my mind today.

My reasoning is that I am not experienced enough with the test to really have a good idea of where I landed. So let's assume I had a bad test and that my read was a bit off, I score a 159. Even if I take the test in October and reach my goal, I'm now sitting with a 170, 159, and an absent. Not the most attractive of portfolios.

If I cancel, now I'm sitting with a cancel, absent, and ?October? Probably making the retake more anxiety inducing than today.

Finally, the small chance that my "educated" and pure guesses on RC were on the money, and my read on 1-4 is right. As the day has dragged on I've decided this is probably not too likely. Is it worth the risk to wait and see? That's why I'm here.

I know this is a ton to read, and I don't expect nor ask anyone to take the time to read it, but I wanted to make sure all the pertinent information was there so if anyone were to offer advice, they have any info THEY may have used to make the decision if they were experiencing my issue.

If there are any questions, please fire away, and thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate that this place still strives to help the "competition" as many like to call it.
Oh and by the way, a large piece of someone's bumper was sitting in the left lane of the 95S on my way back tonight, and coming over a ridge I didn't know it was there. So now I have a large dent in my door panel and chipped/cracked bumper as well. Just venting. MOTHEREFFFFFF
FTFY

(seriously, that's a lot to read, you should be a little more concise)
Noted. Thanks.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:08 am

I would cancel. You had, what, a month and a half of real preparation? I doubt this is enough.

Do this: retake in October, and in the meantime read Powerscore's Bibles cover to cover and work through every preptest you can get. A cancel is better than a low score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 am

Many thanks. I look forward to getting a good nights rest and shaking the day off. Still somewhat torn, but maybe for the wrong reasons. Thanks again for the time and replies.

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Edited OP in hopes of more input. I appreciate what I've gotten so far, and pretty sure I'm leaning towards keeping. However, would like to see if anyone has any other comments that might be helpful, I'm new to all this.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:41 pm

SgtL wrote:Edited OP in hopes of more input. I appreciate what I've gotten so far, and pretty sure I'm leaning towards keeping. However, would like to see if anyone has any other comments that might be helpful, I'm new to all this.

I have the same advice for you, but I'd ask that once you get your score you come back to this thread and let us know how you did. This question has been asked a dozen times on TLS, but nobody ever lets us know the results. It'd be nice to get some feedback.

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Most certainly, will do. 140 or a 170, I'll be glad to share. I promised myself that I wouldn't let myself leave the test center wondering if I could have done more in the time given. I honestly feel that way now. So regardless I'd be glad to share because I know that if nothing else I'd get some great guidance about how to improve in October, or how to move ahead.

Just to clarify, your advice is to keep?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:57 pm

SgtL wrote:Most certainly, will do. 140 or a 170, I'll be glad to share. I promised myself that I wouldn't let myself leave the test center wondering if I could have done more in the time given. I honestly feel that way now. So regardless I'd be glad to share because I know that if nothing else I'd get some great guidance about how to improve in October, or how to move ahead.

Just to clarify, your advice is to keep?

No, to cancel. It all depends on how you feel about it and how much you've studied, but from what you tell me, if it were me I'd cancel. Better to stain your white shirt with cool whip than blood.

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Yeah, understood. Not that I'm arguing, just curious if the fact that I have a Absent, and a Cancel makes the "Cool Whip" darker?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Verity wrote:I would cancel. You had, what, a month and a half of real preparation? I doubt this is enough.

Do this: retake in October, and in the meantime read Powerscore's Bibles cover to cover and work through every preptest you can get. A cancel is better than a low score.

What? A month and a half can be more than enough time to prep (and he even took a course!)and its no where near as relevant as the OP's feeling form the test. From the post it looks like OP thinks he missed anywhere from 4 to 16 which is probably a range of around 167-178 (and its likely that at least one of the 2-6 he missed on the first four sections was on the experimental so possibly even higher). Id definitely take my chances with that.

Note. That is assuming that "Pretty sure I was -2/-6 max for Sections 1-4" means OP missed 2-6 total for the first four sections, not 2-6 on each.

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:09 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Verity wrote:I would cancel. You had, what, a month and a half of real preparation? I doubt this is enough.

What? A month and a half can be more than enough time to prep (and he even took a course!)and its no where near as relevant as the OP's feeling form the test. From the post it looks like OP thinks he missed anywhere from 4 to 16 which is probably a range of around 167-178 (and its likely that at least one of the 2-6 he missed on the first four sections was on the experimental so possibly even higher). Id definitely take my chances with that.

Note. That is assuming that "Pretty sure I was -2/-6 max for Sections 1-4" means OP missed 2-6 total for the first four sections, not 2-6 on each.
That's correct, 2-6 for the first four sections holistic. I think the reccomendation may have something to do with the fact that I'm inexperienced and I very possibly could have a bad read on my performance. Something that has consistently crossed my mind since. Thus the post. Again, appreciate the time and the advice, I know ultimately its my decision, but I've been so conflicted that anything that may help is worth a try.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:10 pm

splitmuch wrote:

I lol'd.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Verity wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

I lol'd.
Am I RC failing?
How did you interpret "Pretty sure I was -2/-6 max for Sections 1-4. Reading Comp final section. Not sure how I did, anywhere from -2/-10."?
Last edited by splitmuch on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:12 pm

SgtL wrote:Yeah, understood. Not that I'm arguing, just curious if the fact that I have a Absent, and a Cancel makes the "Cool Whip" darker?
It doesn't. Adcomms won't care (just briefly explain it in the addendum, if any). Depending on where you want to apply, some schools average scores, which would not be good.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 pm

splitmuch wrote:Am I RC failing?
How did you interpret "Pretty sure I was -2/-6 max for Sections 1-4. Reading Comp final section. Not sure how I did, anywhere from -2/-10."

Life failing. First of all, if that's OP's prediction, then a gap that wide tells us OP has no idea how s/he did. Second, that's not the point: if OP is capable of a 178 anyway, why settle for a 167? That's a whole range of schools difference, and a whole lot of money. Don't give advice like this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Verity wrote:
How did you interpret "Pretty sure I was -2/-6 max for Sections 1-4. Reading Comp final section. Not sure how I did, anywhere from -2/-10."

Life failing. First of all, if that's OP's prediction, then a gap that wide tells us OP has no idea how s/he did. Second, that's not the point: if OP is capable of a 178 anyway, why settle for a 167? That's a whole range of schools difference, and a whole lot of money. Don't give advice like this.
The OP's highest PT was 169...after a prep course... a range of 167-178 seems to be at the high end of his ability.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:17 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Verity wrote:

The OP was PTing at 169... a range of 167-178 seems to be at the high end of his ability.

After a month and a half I was PTing at about 169. I chose to bear down, and improved 7 points on test day. And that was OP's highest PT. 178? It's not in the range.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Verity wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Verity wrote:

The OP was PTing at 169... a range of 167-178 seems to be at the high end of his ability.

After a month and a half I was PTing at about 169. I chose to bear down, and improved 7 points on test day.
I mean I'm not saying he should definitely not retake, I just wouldn't cancel when he very possibly could be looking at a 172 and the highest he had ever PT'd at was 169. I only spent 3 weeks prepping and all I did was take PTs so if I had spent a month and half and had taken a prep course I wouldn't just throw it away when in all probability I had beat my highest PT.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:27 pm

splitmuch wrote:I just wouldn't cancel when he very possibly could be looking at a 172...
How is this "very possible" if OP's highest was a 169? This is about managing risk, because the downside is much worse than cancelling, and more likely than the upside. It's kind of like stupid, speculative, highly leveraged options trading. You'll be happy by letting the deal go, and you can find a better one later; but you'll jump off a bridge when shit goes sour, because it goes way, way sour. Worth the risk?
splitmuch wrote:I only spent 3 weeks prepping and all I did was take PTs so if I had spent a month and half and had taken a prep course I wouldn't just throw it away when in all probability I had beat my highest PT.
That is way uncommon. Either you're bullshitting your test score, you are a lucky guesser, or you're a mega genius (in which case you can't reasonably expect your case to be common enough to give advice about).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Verity wrote:
splitmuch wrote:I just wouldn't cancel when he very possibly could be looking at a 172...
How is this "very possible" if OP's highest was a 169? This is about managing risk, because the downside is much worse than cancelling, and more likely than the upside. It's kind of like stupid, speculative, highly leveraged options trading. You'll be happy by letting the deal go, and you can find a better one later; but you'll jump off a bridge when shit goes sour, because it goes way, way sour. Worth the risk?
splitmuch wrote:I only spent 3 weeks prepping and all I did was take PTs so if I had spent a month and half and had taken a prep course I wouldn't just throw it away when in all probability I had beat my highest PT.
That is way uncommon. Either you're bullshitting your test score, you are a lucky guesser, or you're a mega genius (in which case you can't reasonably expect your case to be common enough to give advice about).

The "very possible" was assuming a normal distribution for the score range he gave. I guess it would help if the OP were to offer what he thought was most likely in that range, but he did say this test "felt better" than his previous high. It just seems silly to suggest to cancel when he thinks its better than hes ever done before. Also with his GPA HYS is pretty much out no matter what he gets and, correct me if Im wrong, that is where retakes would hurt the most. I'm also under the impression that retakes are generally not a big deal, and that most schools will take a look at your highest because thats what they report to USN.

As for the mega-genius thing, i prefer mega talented, because if I were truly a genius I wouldn't have been so dumb as to drink my way to a 3.1 in undergrad. But you are right about applicability, my point is really if he has already invested his time and money into an entire prep course, how much more is there to do?

SgtL

New

Post by SgtL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:31 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Verity wrote:

I believe maybe I was more optimistic about my score because I was very confident about the first four sections, almost like a 4. out of 5 must be pretty good kind of thing (the first two passages were fine). Also, I feel like the prep course was not as helpful as self study to be frank. There were times I contemplated utilizing the time to study on my own, but the financial investment was what kept me going. I'm sure I can outperform most of the possibilities for this exam in October. Back to square one. I'll take a PT tomorrow and I'll try to compare my feeling prior to grading to what I felt monday. long shot but whatever, time to decide. I did score a 172 a few weeks ago, however I took breaks in between each section, therefore I don't count it as a PT score.

The "very possible" was assuming a normal distribution for the score range he gave. I guess it would help if the OP were to offer what he thought was most likely in that range, but he did say this test "felt better" than his previous high. It just seems silly to suggest to cancel when he thinks its better than hes ever done before. Also with his GPA HYS is pretty much out no matter what he gets and, correct me if Im wrong, that is where retakes would hurt the most. I'm also under the impression that retakes are generally not a big deal, and that most schools will take a look at your highest because thats what they report to USN.

As for the mega-genius thing, i prefer mega talented, because if I were truly a genius I wouldn't have been so dumb as to drink my way to a 3.1 in undergrad. But you are right about applicability, my point is really if he has already invested his time and money into an entire prep course, how much more is there to do?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:08 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Verity wrote:

So it's "very possible" for OP to score 3 points higher than his/her highest PT, which is much higher than his average? That's a ridiculous statement.

Also, OP never said the bold. Now you're just making up stuff. If that was the case, why even bother with this thread? S/he actually said that the RC section made him/her lose all confidence, and that it was the hardest s/he'd ever seen. OP even mentioned guessing at one point: that almost never yields anywhere near a 172. "But wait, maybe OP's lucky!" Be my guest, roll the dice.

With a high enough LSAT, T14 is definitely within reach, and a cancel would be better.

Thanks to OP, we'll eventually find out the results. But even with this one result, I still believe that in any case it's better to cancel if it causes anyone this much fright, and it won't delay the application period.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Verity wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Verity wrote:

So it's "very possible" for OP to score 3 points higher than his/her highest PT, which is much higher than his average? That's a ridiculous statement.

Also, OP never said the bold. Now you're just making up stuff. If that was the case, why even bother with this thread? S/he actually said that the RC section made him/her lose all confidence, and that it was the hardest s/he'd ever seen. OP even mentioned guessing at one point: that almost never yields anywhere near a 172. "But wait, maybe OP's lucky!" Be my guest, roll the dice.

With a high enough LSAT, T14 is definitely within reach, and a cancel would be better.

Thanks to OP, we'll eventually find out the results. But even with this one result, I still believe that in any case it's better to cancel if it causes anyone this much fright, and it won't delay the application period.
He said "Highest PT was a 169 and this felt better for the most part than that PT"

I don't think its "making things up" to rephrapse he thinks "this felt better for the most part than [the highest PT hes ever got]" to "he thinks its better than hes ever done before"

And where does the OP mention random guessing? Whose the one making things up?

But the main point is if he ends up on the lowest end of what he thinks is possible, 167, he can retake without any penalty at the T14s that he has a shot at anyway. If he ends up in the middle of his range, he doesn't need to retake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”