Self Prep and than take a Prep Course or vice versa?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
br00klynrage

New

Self Prep and than take a Prep Course or vice versa??

Post by br00klynrage » Tue May 31, 2011 7:45 pm

I just finished my junior year in college. I want to take the October LSAT and devote this whole summer to studying for the LSAT. Should I begin studying on my own first (just ordered myself powerscore bibles) and then take a prep course or the other way around. A asked around and just don't know whose advice to take, I am sure people here know better than folks in college. My goal is at least 165 and I scored a 143 on my practice :(. I'm sure I can do it, I just gotta begin studying, thanks!

Helicio

Bronze

Re: Self Prep and than take a Prep Course or vice versa??

Post by Helicio » Tue May 31, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same. I'm going to do the powerscore bibles then maybe enroll in a Prep Course like the powerscore one. I think you'll be fine either way, really.

To be honest, you scored kind of low on your practice test, so if I were you I would take a course first to have someone else to help me along. After you get the fundamentals down, then you can probably move on to self-study.

br00klynrage

New

Post by br00klynrage » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 am

Yes I have no problem taking a course or most likely a private tutor. But I don't know of I should do that first or study first.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:28 am

If you are going to take a full length live prep class, do it first. Just make sure it is a good one with a good instructor. During class hours take advantage of the instructor by asking questions you have that pop up along the way and/or for clarification, etc. to make sure you are understanding the various concepts properly. Make sure you keep up with the class and do the homework.

lightbulb1986

Bronze

Post by lightbulb1986 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 am

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Post by SanDiegoJake » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:45 pm

I agree with previous posters. Class first to learn how to think about the basics, then self-study.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:53 pm

As others have said, take the prep course first if you're going to take one. You won't develop bad habits or waste time wondering about things that are wrong/don't matter. The prep course will teach you all the methods you need to study, and then you can go off and do your final prep on your own.

Good luck!

br00klynrage

New

Post by br00klynrage » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:57 am

Others are telling me to do self study first to identify my weaknesses and then take a class or as I'm thinking, a private tutor.

nodrog

New

Post by nodrog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:28 am

br00klynrage wrote:Others are telling me to...
opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. in the end, it's up to you to make the choice

UofO

New

Post by UofO » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:40 am

As a student who just finished the PS full length course, I can honestly tell you that it's not worth it.

The course IS the bibles - the only difference is that you are provided w/ more questions to use as drills. Self study first and then get a tutor (if needed - it may help for LG)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”