Actual test score higher than practice test? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Quan292

Bronze

Actual test score higher than practice test?

Post by Quan292 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 am

Is this possible. I see a bunch of people saying how they usually score lower than their pt. I'm sort of freaking out because my practice exams have been steadily increasing (started at 142 now at 157). I have 5 more practice test left that I can take but I'm just wondering if people actually do make jumps. I'm a pretty good test taker and tends to bring it come test day but I'm getting nervous. My goal is to somehow get a 165. Is this logical or am I dreaming?

dr123

Gold

Re: Actual test score higher than practice test?

Post by dr123 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:02 am

It happens, but don't get your hopes up. LSAT miracles rarely happen.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 am

Mine was higher than my PT average, but not higher than my highest PT. It's unlikely you'll score higher than your highest PT. Don't let that deter you and keep plugging away.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 am

People score both higher and lower than their PTs. Don't expect a miracle shift upwards though. The best thing you can do for yourself now is to calm down and go in with a clear mind in June.

Depending on how much prep you have done, a 165 in October or later is achievable with more work. From what I've been able to glean from this board and LSAT tutors I know, people general hit a wall around 3 months, so maybe 200-300 hours of prep.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 am

mottainai wrote:Mine was higher than my PT average, but not higher than my highest PT. It's unlikely you'll score higher than your highest PT. Don't let that deter you and keep plugging away.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JFo

Bronze

Post by JFo » Tue May 24, 2011 1:08 am

Mine was a full two points higher than my highest practice test, which was great, but I tend to perform the best under pressure (though I still should have studied harder for the darn thing...is it too late to retake?). YMMV.

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 am

Mine jumped. I did little prep though and attribute it to being a fast test taker and a lot didn't finish the LG for Dec 2010

PT 4 days before LSAT - 159
PT night before LSAT - 160
LSAT - 165

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:31 am

It's fairly rare but happens. Most actually score a couple of points under their PT average.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 am

Please don't repeat my mistake. Don't take the LSAT if you are PTing in that range.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:55 am

99.9luft wrote:Please don't repeat my mistake. Don't take the LSAT if you are PTing in that range.
Why do you say this? Would this affect my chances of applying ED?

Also how many test do you guys think is enough to be considered your ceiling?

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 am

Corwin wrote:People score both higher and lower than their PTs. Don't expect a miracle shift upwards though. The best thing you can do for yourself now is to calm down and go in with a clear mind in June.

Depending on how much prep you have done, a 165 in October or later is achievable with more work. From what I've been able to glean from this board and LSAT tutors I know, people general hit a wall around 3 months, so maybe 200-300 hours of prep.
I'm really debating changing my test date but I don't think it will be much effective because once school starts back up in September studying is extremely difficult and I plan on applying ED. I have been studying since mid march but I didnt take a full PT until may.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 am

Quan292 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:Please don't repeat my mistake. Don't take the LSAT if you are PTing in that range.

Number of tests aren't really a good measure of preparation. People spam PTs and don't benefit because they don't analyze the questions they got wrong. Thinking and analysis of what went wrong is important. I would say about 3 months of prep is the most common ceiling, but of course everyone is different.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue May 24, 2011 2:10 am

Corwin wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

Number of tests aren't really a good measure of preparation. People spam PTs and don't benefit because they don't analyze the questions they got wrong. Thinking and analysis of what went wrong is important. I would say about 3 months of prep is the most common ceiling, but of course everyone is different.
Exactly. I'd also want to add that the LSAT is a combination of doing things RIGHT and TIME (ie practice). Ceilings don't really matter if you don't study right. I hit 170s several times but my average was definitely in the mid 160s last year. I was stupid enough to hope for a 170 miracle. Hope is not a strategy (unless you are Obama), so don't shit on your record with a low score the way I did. Now I'm risking being looked down upon by top 6 schools, many of which look at both scores and some still average them.

My diag was in the 140s, PT average after a course in the 150s. After i studied wrong in the 160s. Now, my average is in the 170s. Only if you put in the work and do it right it can be done. Trust me, take October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:21 am

I think i'm just going to do October and hope for the best.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:24 am

Quan292 wrote:I think i'm just going to do October and hope for the best.
I'm happy to hear this. June IMHO would be too early. 4 months is sufficient time to prepare. Good luck.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 am

Quan292 wrote:I think i'm just going to do October and try to destroy the motherfucking LSAT.
FTFY. Confidence is key.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”