Will I be able to score 160+ in June? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
madjood

New

Will I be able to score 160+ in June?

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I know you've probably seen many threads like this one, but I want to get a good sense of my chances considering that I have basically less than three weeks remaining to improve my LSAT performance.

First of all, I will be writing my first--and hopefully only--LSAT on June 6th. However, I only started my preparation for the LSAT at the beginning of May. I of course had to initially acquaint myself with the various concepts and questions types on in each of the sections in the LSAT analyzed in the Powerscore Bibles.

I feel I have a basic grasp of the concepts, and I am able to recognize these when I do actual LSAT practice sections, but its not intuitive yet. I usually get around from -9to -4 on the logical reasoning sections under timed conditions. Logic Games are not very good. I can't get to the main inferences quickly during practices yet due to lack of comfort and a deep understanding of the concepts needed to complete this section well. I have to use quite a few hypotheticals. At best I can probably do 2 and a half games with precision right now. I can probably only guarantee 50% correct on LG right now. Reading comprehension is my strong suit and I usually get around -6 to -3 on this section consistently from what I've done in the past.

My dilemma, considering the short amount of time I have, is balancing what I can realistically achieve at this point in time and how much I can actually improve in the next three weeks . Due to a sense of urgency, over the past weekend and this week I have been spamming practice tests--I've done about 5, although on some I've spaced out the test and taken breaks between sections. I guess I'm trying to build endurance and good timing in the short amount of time I have. But, because of this approach I feel I am probably sacrificing deeper understanding and precision because I need to be expedient right now. I don't think I will improve if I don't space out my PT's and review and reflect thoroughly. But with that I risk not being able to handle the actual time and endurance demands of the test.

On my Kaplan premier online diagnostic un-timed, I received a 73% correct. In PT's I've been getting around 158-159, and yesterday and today I got 153 and 156 (rushed through logical reasoning somewhat) respectively. The 153 was due to me getting 6/24 on the LG because I only completed two games and didn't even guess on the others, so I could probably fair better. Also, I've only done LSATs from the 1990's so far--the "10 Actual LSATs" book, or something.

So, what are my chances of getting above 160 on June 6th? Do you think my first attempt in June will only be useful for getting my bearings and that I'll have to again write in October if I want to get the score that I'm capable of?

Thank you for replies in advance.

dpk711

Silver

Re: Will I be able to score 160+ in June?

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:52 pm

I can see 160 happening with good prep in the next 3 weeks. However, if you can get a 160+ on June then you could probably also score in the high-160s or low-170s by October which makes a world of difference. So, IMHO I would suggest you take the October test whether or not you postpone you June test.

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm

How do you think I should approach these new few weeks with respect to the amount of PT's I should do? I feel I need to slow down the amount of PT's I'm doing--not one everyday--because I'm hitting diminishing returns now due to a lack of mastery of core concepts. I am working with shallow understanding, so to speak. I'm approaching the test currently, I feel, with "see what happens" approach and I feel I am not building on my analytical grasp of concepts. I guess maybe 9 more or so PTs in total with a thorough review of each, and a few sections everyday will probably be the most realistic approach before June 6th if I want to build both my understanding and my timing and endurance skill?

Thanks.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:10 pm

madjood wrote:How do you think I should approach these new few weeks with respect to the amount of PT's I should do? I feel I need to slow down the amount of PT's I'm doing--not one everyday--because I'm hitting diminishing returns now due to a lack of mastery of core concepts. I am working with shallow understanding, so to speak. I'm approaching the test currently, I feel, with "see what happens" approach and I feel I am not building on my analytical grasp of concepts. I guess maybe 9 more or so PTs in total with a thorough review of each, and a few sections everyday will probably be the most realistic approach before June 6th if I want to build both my understand and my timing and endurance skill?

Thanks.
I agree with the thorough review part. Do not only review the questions that you got wrong but also the questions that you got right and she why you got them right. Further, make sure you're taking the most recent ones (PTs 52 and up). You will notice that structurally a PT55 is different from a PT17. The tests now have dual RC passages and more dense passages with harder questions. Have you read the Bibles yet?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm

work only on games in the next two weeks. maybe a little LR. getting -0 on games and the first 10 LR 100% gives you a great shot at 160+. and it is actually manageable to get these down in the time left.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Yes, but quickly. I read both in less than a week.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm

madjood wrote:Yes, but quickly. I read both in less than a week.
You should be familiar with the LR question types and how to attack each one specifically.

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Yeah, in LR I currently get the first 10 right or 9/10 most of the time. I see myself getting a few wrong in the middle and some at the end a lot of the time when the difficulty of the stimuli increases, which usually gives me around -7. At best I've achieved -2 and -4 on sections.

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 3:18 pm

dpk711 wrote:
madjood wrote:Yes, but quickly. I read both in less than a week.
You should be familiar with the LR question types and how to attack each one specifically.
Yeah, I'd say I'm fairly familiar with the types. I can identify the what the stems asking and what I ought to be doing. Its just the recognition of all the details of the stimulus--scope, key words, and complexity of it--under timed conditions that is tending to get me flustered somewhat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Is your goal a school where your 160+ will be sufficient?

I'd go with the above post - skip June and take in October when you should have an opportunity of a substantially higher score. If you achieve that, you will either get into the same school you're currently aiming for but with a larger scholarship, or alternatively get into a better school.

A high score could easily save you $100,000 over three years by way of scholarship. If you have any interest in biglaw, a higher ranked school could be worth millions. Either way, it's worth a couple of months extra study.

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 3:31 pm

I am actually Canadian, so I am going to try for a Canadian school. Depending on my LSAT, though, you never know. I might as well aim high. Either way, I think its probably smart to write in October so I can increase my skill at the LSAT. In the best case, I'd love to write in June just to get the actual experience under my belt but I don't want to score below 160 if I do.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 pm

madjood wrote:I am actually Canadian, so I am going to try for a Canadian school. Depending on my LSAT, though, you never know. I might as well aim high. Either way, I think its probably smart to write in October so I can increase my skill at the LSAT. In the best case, I'd love to write in June just to get the actual experience under my belt but I don't want to score below 160 if I do.
I agree with you, even if you do you take the June test you should take the Oct. one.

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Anyway, I hope its true what they say about the Logic Games--that you can significantly improve with practice and master them to where they become easy. Right now, I am not seeing it. They frustrate the heck out of me. I guess I haven't done that many games yet, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 pm

In the last three months I've managed to go from a -17 on LG to a consistent -0 with the occasional -1. I would suggest you take the June LSAT, if you feel badly about it cancel. Either way, keep studying through summer and kick ass on the October test. Those LG's just take time and practice for it to click and become second nature.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Wed May 18, 2011 7:06 pm

madjood wrote:Anyway, I hope its true what they say about the Logic Games--that you can significantly improve with practice and master them to where they become easy. Right now, I am not seeing it. They frustrate the heck out of me. I guess I haven't done that many games yet, though.
I literally had the LG breakthrough about two weeks ago, some of the 90's Games still get me, but I havent missed more than 4 Q's on a recent LG section. It took about a month, a painstakingly frustrating month, before I saw a sudden dramatic improvement. But it is definitely possible

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Wed May 18, 2011 7:16 pm

boosk wrote:
madjood wrote:Anyway, I hope its true what they say about the Logic Games--that you can significantly improve with practice and master them to where they become easy. Right now, I am not seeing it. They frustrate the heck out of me. I guess I haven't done that many games yet, though.
I literally had the LG breakthrough about two weeks ago, some of the 90's Games still get me, but I havent missed more than 4 Q's on a recent LG section. It took about a month, a painstakingly frustrating month, before I saw a sudden dramatic improvement. But it is definitely possible
Maybe that's part of the problem. Personally I've only worked on the 90s LSATs so far. I haven't been able to really apply the concepts I've read about in the Powerscore LG Bible in a consistent way perhaps. I need to get my hands on some LSATs in between 38-62 so I can get more well rounded practice in these coming weeks. I only have PT 9-38.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Wed May 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Look around on the net and you'll find 39-58. The rest you'll have to buy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

madjood

New

Post by madjood » Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

I am seriously considering postponing until October due to my Logic Games purely sucking thus far and my lack of consistency. I did a prep test (19) today-- but, 3/4 sections only--and checked my score during my 15 minute break. Albeit I zoned out on the Reading Comprehension, I did -12 on logic games, -8 on LR, and -11 on Reading Comp. I just thought I'd say eff it on the last LR section.

Right now I feel I'm tentative due to the two and a half week time constraint. I don't feel I have that killer instinct cause I'm lacking needed skill on LG. I obviously need to improve LR as well, but usually I do quite good on RC. I'm thinking I don't want to waste one of my three shots in two years at doing good at the LSAT if I am currently performing like this.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Don't take it. You're definitely not far along enough in your studying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”