Reading Comp General Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DaisyLafayette

New

Reading Comp General Question

Post by DaisyLafayette » Wed May 11, 2011 3:09 pm

If a question stem refers you to a group's viewpoint and gives specific lines- for example-

"which one of the following approaches to the situation would most likely be advocated by present-day delegates who share the views of the delegates mentioned in lines 11-14"

do you focus only on the lines mentioned? or answer by considering other lines, in this case immediately after 14?
I've been looking through passages and am undecided as to whether it is better off to approach these globally or locally.
thoughts?

DaisyLafayette

New

Re: Reading Comp General Question

Post by DaisyLafayette » Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 pm

i can see that if the viewpoint is fundamentally different in the lines given that it is best to focus exclusively on these, but i'm a bit worried about the situations where it is less of a break and just slightly different from the overall- thus making some answer choices more appealing

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:16 pm

DaisyLafayette wrote:If a question stem refers you to a group's viewpoint and gives specific lines- for example-

"which one of the following approaches to the situation would most likely be advocated by present-day delegates who share the views of the delegates mentioned in lines 11-14"

do you focus only on the lines mentioned? or answer by considering other lines, in this case immediately after 14?
I've been looking through passages and am undecided as to whether it is better off to approach these globally or locally.
thoughts?
The line numbers are provided to help you identify the delegates in question and differentiate them from any other groups mentioned in the passage. (The question is asking about the "views" held by "the delegates mentioned in lines 11-14," not "the views mentioned in lines 11-14" held by "the delegates.") You have to discern their views from the entire passage, not neccessarily just lines 11-14.

DaisyLafayette

New

Post by DaisyLafayette » Wed May 11, 2011 3:24 pm

that's what I was thinking but what prompted me to ask this was from the example i quoted- from test 61 #6. The viewpoint mentioned in the lines is that language of a document was not strong enough to protect rights. Then the answer A- reflected this by saying the UN take action on the problem.

what confused me was that the passage went on to say the delegates in question wanted member states to- and quoted in the passage- "take joint and separate action" when a situation arose.

This is a pretty important point- and A only indicates the larger General Assembly acting.
C. is weaker- calls for a critical report and then a censure vote by all the member states.

I chose A because I thought C was to weak to adequately fit the delegates view- but if C had been any different i might have gone that way because it reflected the individual participation bit.

this example isnt perfect and my concern i guess is more over a hypothetical situation where there are two answers that basically fit and the lines given contain an incomplete presentation of the views.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:33 pm

I see how you are concerned about A and C being similar, but I don't think the information in lines 11-14 ("the language of a document was not strong enough to protect rights") is sufficient to indicate any answer at all on its own. Delegates could think the language wasn't strong enough but not want action or a report & censure--maybe they just want the document re-written, or they just want to complain about it on TV but don't think anything at all should be done. To get to either A or C (and I don't have the PTs anymore, so I can't read the passage and give an opinon), there has to be more information about the delegates' views given, like their desire for member states to "take join and separate action." Lines 11-14 only indicate that the delegates think there's something wrong, not what they think should be done about it. To get to that point, you'll need to consider the rest of the passage, and use the "lines 11-14" note just as a pointer toward the group the question is asking about.

DaisyLafayette

New

Post by DaisyLafayette » Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 pm

ya good point. realistically i can't find an example that reflects my concern. this happens often.
thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”