Are Powerscore course texts worth it without the course? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
krasivaya

Bronze

Are Powerscore course texts worth it without the course?

Post by krasivaya » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey all,

So I found a great deal for the Powerscore course texts - $50 for the set, not marked up.

Before going for it, I was wondering what TLS thought about their usefulness? I searched through the stickies and found a lot on the value of the courses but not the course texts in particular. I'm already planning on getting the Powerscore bibles, the Superprep and as many practice tests as I can get my hands on. Would these course texts be a good supplement to those self-study materials?

I guess this is mostly geared toward people who have used them. Thanks for being endlessly helpful!

EDIT: These are what I'm talking about, not the Bibles:

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by krasivaya on Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Silver

Re: Are Powerscore course texts worth it without the course?

Post by bhan87 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 pm

$50 is a bargain for an unmarked set of course books. The main value is having practice problems divided into types, and because it's a Powerscore course set, it'll correspond perfectly with the bibles.

Chong

New

Post by Chong » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi, I have the three Powerscores and the PTs, but nothing else; and I have not taken the courses.

In my opinion, they are helpful, except perhaps the RC Powerscore, but it is not without useful insights either. However, I probably would not read too much into the LR Powerscore's classification of questions, since an Assumption question is in a sense the same as a Weaken question, or a Strengthen question or a Must be True question, depending on how the question stems are phrased. Yes, the techniques does differ, but I do not think the way the question stems are phrased should be as important a classifying criterion. The argument is. Therefore Chapter Two of LR is the most important insight, where it focuses on analyzing the facts and conclusions. The Games Powerscore is a good instruction, but not so without the PTs.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Chong wrote:Hi, I have the three Powerscores and the PTs, but nothing else; and I have not taken the courses.

In my opinion, they are helpful, except perhaps the RC Powerscore, but it is not without useful insights either. However, I probably would not read too much into the LR Powerscore's classification of questions, since an Assumption question is in a sense the same as a Weaken question, or a Strengthen question or a Must be True question, depending on how the question stems are phrased. Yes, the techniques does differ, but I do not think the way the question stems are phrased should be as important a classifying criterion. The argument is. Therefore Chapter Two of LR is the most important insight, where it focuses on analyzing the facts and conclusions. The Games Powerscore is a good instruction, but not so without the PTs.
Thanks for the insight Chong, but I think you may be talking about the bibles. I'm talking about the course texts, the ones you get from taking the course or purchase off somebody who has taken it.

@bhan87: That's what I was thinking :) Just wanted to get some second opinions since, in undergrad, $50 is like food for a week.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 pm

I mean it's good practice, they break it down nicely into LR/LG/RC and you practice individual questions/sections. Those are a older version though, because the new ones are 5 volumes.
You can learn technique from PowerScore and practice with Testmasters.

Ocean64

Bronze

Post by Ocean64 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

YES! it's as if you bought LR, LG and RC bibles all in one but with much more content and even deeper insight.
you'll also get 4 recent PTs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”