Possible for 170 in June? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JimHalpert

New

Possible for 170 in June?

Post by JimHalpert » Thu May 05, 2011 5:23 pm

So,

I'm currently enrolled in a Testmasters course and am registered to take the June 6th exam. My study schedule kind of got thrown off with finals and the flu, so as of now I have a 153 diagnostic, a 159 practice exam, and a 162 practice exam--my most recent from yesterday. I have a pretty solid handle on LR and RC, and I rarely miss any of the first 13-15 questions but my performance falls towards the end because of timing issues (my biggest problem). For games, my diag was horrible (-14), granted I was working on almost no sleep and stopped giving a shit. Recently I've been getting around -6 for games. I have nothing else to do between now and the exam, so I can take a bunch of practice tests and work on things I need to. I also live with my older brother who is an lsat instructor, which helps. I'm confident that I can eventually bring my score to 168+, but do you guys think it's possible for me to do so by June? I can devote a lot of study time over the summer, but I would love to get it over with if possible.

Thoughts? TIA

Edit- I'm going to be a senior in the fall but I want to work for a few years after school before applying.

glitter178

Silver

Re: Possible for 170 in June?

Post by glitter178 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:25 pm

JimHalpert wrote:So,

I'm currently enrolled in a Testmasters course and am registered to take the June 6th exam. My study schedule kind of got thrown off with finals and the flu, so as of now I have a 153 diagnostic, a 159 practice exam, and a 162 practice exam--my most recent from yesterday. I have a pretty solid handle on LR and RC, and I rarely miss any of the first 13-15 questions but my performance falls towards the end because of timing issues (my biggest problem). For games, my diag was horrible (-14), granted I was working on almost no sleep and stopped giving a shit. Recently I've been getting around -6 for games. I have nothing else to do between now and the exam, so I can take a bunch of practice tests and work on things I need to. I also live with my older brother who is an lsat instructor, which helps. I'm confident that I can eventually bring my score to 168+, but do you guys think it's possible for me to do so by June? I can devote a lot of study time over the summer, but I would love to get it over with if possible.

Thoughts? TIA

Edit- I'm going to be a senior in the fall but I want to work for a few years after school before applying.
what does your brother the LSAT instructor think you should do?
I don't see any point in chancing the June LSAT when you don't really seem ready and you have plenty of time to take it.

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Thu May 05, 2011 5:32 pm

glitter178 wrote:
JimHalpert wrote:So,

Thoughts? TIA

what does your brother the LSAT instructor think you should do?
I don't see any point in chancing the June LSAT when you don't really seem ready and you have plenty of time to take it.
Well he was right about at 162-163 when he was a month from the test, and he managed to pull a 170. Great for him, but since he did it he just assumes that I can and will. I think it's hard for him to be objective given our relationship.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Seriously, I'd wait if I were you. once that LSAT score is posted, you can't take it away. While most schools don't average anymore, why make yourself write an LSAT score disparity addendum if you don't have to? (assuming you do not as well as you'd like.)

Additionally, as an LSAT instructor your brother should know that his results are not typical.

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 pm

glitter178 wrote:Seriously, I'd wait if I were you. once that LSAT score is posted, you can't take it away. While most schools don't average anymore, why make yourself write an LSAT score disparity addendum if you don't have to? (assuming you do not as well as you'd like.)

Additionally, as an LSAT instructor your brother should know that his results are not typical.
So you don't think I can be practicing at 10ish points higher in that time period...or at least expect to?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

JimHalpert wrote:
glitter178 wrote:Seriously, I'd wait if I were you. once that LSAT score is posted, you can't take it away. While most schools don't average anymore, why make yourself write an LSAT score disparity addendum if you don't have to? (assuming you do not as well as you'd like.)

So you don't think I can be practicing at 10ish points higher in that time period...or at least expect to?
Not that you can't, but it's unlikely and you don't want to be going in shaky. Even if you manage to hit 170 on one practice test before then you won't be comfortably at that level. If it were easy to go from 162 to 170 in a month, a lot more people would score a 170.

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Post by YaSvoboden » Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Why rush? I would honestly suggest something more like next June. That would give you enough time that the study experience would never have to be really stressful, games could become a breeze for you and that 170 shouldn't be tough. TLS1776 wrote an awesome study guide and took about a year studying, I would recommend something like that. But if you just want to get it over with and can work your butt off, 168 seems reasonable for this June.

davesmystery

New

Post by davesmystery » Thu May 05, 2011 6:38 pm

I think you should wait as well. I'm currently testing 165+ and I'm still shaky because of timing/anxiety. I nailed a 170 already but unless I can continue consistently scoring at that level before the May 15th date change deadline I will most likely be doing October as well.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

JimHalpert wrote:

You definitely wouldn't be the first to accomplish such a feat. However, it is far from typical. If you don't plan on going to law school for a few years, why the heck are you rushing this? If your answer is, "I just want to get it out of the way while I can devout a serious amount of time towards it before get out into the work force," then devote this summer to getting comfortably above a 170 and take it in October.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
JimHalpert wrote:

You definitely wouldn't be the first to accomplish such a feat. However, it is far from typical. If you don't plan on going to law school for a few years, why the heck are you rushing this? If your answer is, "I just want to get it out of the way while I can devout a serious amount of time towards it before get out into the work force," then devote this summer to getting comfortably above a 170 and take it in October.
I'm afraid I might have to postpone then. Anyone know if I'll get a refund?

I'm thinking I might go balls to the wall for the next 8-9 days and then see where I end up before officially deciding to postpone. Kinda sucks I won't have an LSAT score after only taking twelve credits AND turning down my only internship offer because it started in May. Fuck.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Thu May 05, 2011 7:24 pm

JimHalpert wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
JimHalpert wrote:

I'm afraid I might have to postpone then. Anyone know if I'll get a refund?

I'm thinking I might go balls to the wall for the next 8-9 days and then see where I end up before officially deciding to postpone. Kinda sucks I won't have an LSAT score after only taking twelve credits AND turning down my only internship offer because it started in May. Fuck.
More time to study. Trust me, if law school is the plan, you'll be happy you did.

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Fri May 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Update-

Hit 166 and 165 on my last two PTs.

Yesterday's 165 was -8LR, -4RC, and -6LG. I only recently have amped up my approach on games, so I definitely am not maxed out. I've taken 4 total timed tests, and I still have not even started most of the homeworks from my Testmasters class.

I want a 170.

Anyone think I should still take it? Putting it down on paper, I feel like I maybe should postpone but I'm not sure still.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Fri May 20, 2011 6:37 pm

You have until the day before the test to decide. Keep up your work and drill games every day especially, in addition to the other sections. Even if you're going to postpone you'll likely perform while focused and working toward the goal of the June test. You might see some significant gains regardless whether you sit for June or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Im in a similar spot. 164, 163, 164 on the last three, Testmasters course, aiming for 168+
Im running out of prep material though so Im takin it in June fa sho, we can do it man!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 20, 2011 7:34 pm

IF your PT average is not 170 or higher, scoring 170 on gameday is highly improbable. Advice: take October if several days before June 6th your average is still in the low 160s.

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Fri May 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. With only 4 tests under my belt, I can't imagine taking 12-16 more in the next two weeks would have the same positive effect of taking over the summer with more time to review each one. Damn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”