Burnout? How do I know? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mac35352

Bronze

Burnout? How do I know?

Post by mac35352 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:47 am

I have been studying since February. Barely skip any days at first but the last 3 weeks I think I have been over doing it. I study 4-6 hours most days.
This past week I force myself to study because I don't want to get out of my schedule and have been doing mostly logic games because I like them but all the LR abd RC marathons i've been doing certainly burned me out.
Now I am scheduled to take a pt today. I got up just ready to do it and as soon as I opened it up I felt sick. Like I can't do it but I want to. I don't want to take a day off but I might have too according to what i've read about this type of situation.
If you have been feeling like you can't read another RC passage and you took a break. How did you feel about it? should I do nothing LSAT related or do at least some games?
I have never experience anything like it. It sucks

ExcelBaller

New

Re: Burnout? How do I know?

Post by ExcelBaller » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Are you seeing improved scores after 2 months of non stop studying? I do LG and read material for 2-3 hours a day. I'm wondering if I should take a few days off to let it sink in.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:37 pm

My general rules of thumb are as follows:

At least 2 days off a week.
At least 12 days off a month.

I would be very surprised if your timed test scores have been continually improving to this point. I would take a week off and come back to it after about that amount of time.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:55 pm

I started at 148 and have been on the same range (162-166) for about a month? my rc is usually the section that gives me trouble. LG has always been my strong section. LR is unpredictable.
I'm taking 3 days off starting today.
Hopefully it works.
Last edited by mac35352 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:43 pm

incompetentia wrote: At least 2 days off a week.
At least 12 days off a month.
This is great advice. I'm probably going to steal that ratio, actually, for my students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 pm

I schedule the day or 2 days off a week. I've gone hard for 5-6 days in a row and then on that last day, I'm really not there and I find myself going over mistakes that would of not been caused had I just taken off. Going several days in a row hard at 6-7 hours at a clip can be counterproductive without that day off. I just had that freak out moment today, way too tired and overworked at my job to even focus right. I really need to be on the right focus to get a lot out of the session.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 pm

accuratesite2020 wrote:I schedule the day or 2 days off a week. I've gone hard for 5-6 days in a row and then on that last day, I'm really not there and I find myself going over mistakes that would of not been caused had I just taken off. Going several days in a row hard at 6-7 hours at a clip can be counterproductive without that day off. I just had that freak out moment today, way too tired and overworked at my job to even focus right. I really need to be on the right focus to get a lot out of the session.
Yes, there is a point when you know you should stop because you are not thinking straight anymore but you keep going.
I took two days off and came back today feeling much better. I will not continue this crazy non-stop no-brake schedule. I took 2 timed sections of LR and had just 4 wrong in the whole thing. Then i went over some games (new and old) and I was enjoying myself.
I felt much better than Saturday. Now I have to see how I feel back at RC.
Good luck!
And thanks for the responses. Burnout is a real thing. I know now that the week before the test I have to take it easy.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Yes, it was definetely worth it to take the days off. I had my highest PT of 167. Regardless of that number I just witnessed a huge improvement in my aptitude towards the test. Specially RC.
I didn't feel the desperate need for the test to end I was experiencing the last two weeks.
Thanks again for recommending a break!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”