If and Only If in Principle Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
secretad

Bronze

If and Only If in Principle Questions

Post by secretad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:41 pm

I cannot remember where the question can be found or if it is even the case that it has been done, but I am fairly sure it has.

Let us say that there is a principle question and you are able to eliminate all of the answer choices but two.

Let us say the stimulus involves a police officer and using deadly force.

"The police officer shot a person that clearly was without a weapon. That police officer was rightfully punished."

What principle would help to justify the officer's actions?

Let us say that you eliminate all but two answers and these are the ones you are left with during the test.

A) An officer should be punished only if the officer shot a person that clearly was without a weapon.

B) An officer should be punished if the officer shot a person that clearly was without a weapon.

I understand the difference of sufficient and necessary conditions. My instinct is to pick B as we have the sufficient condition and can thus proceed with the necessary condition.

Whereas in (A) we do not have the sufficient condition of a prescriptive sense of what should happen to the officer.

Is this correct thinking?

Also, can you envision a case where a principle would be chosen because of a reverse situation?

Thanks.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Re: If and Only If in Principle Questions

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Yep, you're spot on.

The reverse of the situation would be:

The officer shot a person who clearly had a weapon. The officer was rightfully not punished.

Principle:

An officer should be punished only if the officer shot a person that clearly was without a weapon.

handlesthetruth

Bronze

Post by handlesthetruth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
The officer shot a person who clearly had a weapon. The officer was rightfully not punished.

Principle:

An officer should be punished only if the officer shot a person that clearly was without a weapon.
Wouldnt this one be: an officer should not be punished if he/she shoots someone clearing possessing a weapon.

secretad

Bronze

Post by secretad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:40 pm

Both principles are valid. The first one is a principle with the only if construction and yours is a simple if construction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”