Taking Blueprint course this summer in Davis, CA Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JDndMSW

Silver

Taking Blueprint course this summer in Davis, CA

Post by JDndMSW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:29 am

I was pretty excited to see that they had a class here, although I would rather have it in Sacramento, but the extra 15min hopefully won't be too bad. This is going to work nice with my internship that I have this fall in Sac but I hopefully won't be too worn out.
I have decided to take this class because I am not AS self motivated as I want to be and I think this will help. Luckily for me this fall although I am taking 12 units 10 are internship and 2 are an online seminar. This will give me ample time to study for Oct. 1 as well as complete my applications.
After realizing my GPA might be able to be raised from a 3.25 to a 3.75 I am now once again very focused and excited to be applying this next cycle!
Anyways I guess I have not yet really begun to ask any questions... I have done some research on this site and I have seen programs compared to each other but I never really could find anyone giving a honest product review (although people did seem to cite it as being an "entertaining" prep course). I know people say that the instructor is key but unfortunately the instructor is "currently not assigned" should I take this as a bad sign or is this location new for them (also looking at the head shots of their instructors I did not see any with Davis as a location). So if you do have any specific regarding the Davis location that would be MOST helpful.
They state on their website that they mail the textbooks two weeks prior to the course but they CAN arrange to send them sooner. They don't recommend studying before in case you develop poor habits but how much truth is in that especially if I am studying with their books. I won't be studying too much prior as I am preparing for the GRE (planning on doing a dual degree program) in June.
Anyways thanks for your thoughts/insight!

-V

Boston11

New

Re: Taking Blueprint course this summer in Davis, CA

Post by Boston11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:35 am

I can't say anything about the Davis location, but I am currently taking the live blueprint course at the new expansion in Boston. The course so far has been great. Blueprint provides comprehensive methods and resources to attack the LSAT, although it is really up to you to do the work necessary to take advantage of them (there is a ton of HW you need to do). I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get a head start on their materials; your life will be consumed by LSAT prep soon enough. I'd recommend just enjoying a break between GRE prep and LSAT prep. As for your question about the instructor for Davis, you should email blueprint. They are very accommodating, I am sure they can work out a time for you to meet the prospective instructor or sit in on a class. Good luck!

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks! Can you explain a little bit more just how much homework there is? Luckily for me I will not be taking any real classes (my credits will just be doing an internship and seminar) but with my internship I'll be working there full time plus having a part time job.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 pm

JDndMSW wrote:Thanks! Can you explain a little bit more just how much homework there is? Luckily for me I will not be taking any real classes (my credits will just be doing an internship and seminar) but with my internship I'll be working there full time plus having a part time job.
This is not exclusive to BP LSAT classes, it applies to all comprehensive full length LSAT prep courses and to any LSAT prep regimen (self-study included) that will help you achieve your highest potential score come test day.

There is A LOT of homework that you must do regularly. To master the test you MUST put in MANY hours of on-your-own homework, study, practice and review time per week. There is no one size fits all sufficient number of hours per day/week, but you should put in a minimum of 20 hours a week outside of class lecture time if you are serious about achieving a score ranked at or above the 90th percentile (164 or higher).

Basically, if you really want a stellar score, you need to put in lots O study/practice/homework time. With the LSAT, there is no magic shortcut to a high score that only involves a minimal amount of dedicated hours per week.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks for the positive words, guys! And JD, we're looking forward to seeing you over the summer. I'm checking with the office re: the Davis instructor; I'll get back to you when I know. Rest assured, though, that all of our instructors are awesome.

As far as prepping before you start class, I really do recommend against it, even with our methods. First off, you never know if you're going to read something the wrong way and start down a bad path. Second, if you start to study way ahead of time, you risk seriously burning yourself out. Finally, if you go through the books/examples/homework, you're going to lose out on doing that with fresh eyes during class. I have a few students who start off the course doing the lesson questions before they show up for the day; they give up this practice quickly because it's better to just follow along as we do them live.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”