Stressed - need a study plan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DivineDesign007

New

Stressed - need a study plan

Post by DivineDesign007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Ok. So I'm having motivational issues to study for the LSAT.

I am taking the June LSAT, wanting to apply for Fall 2012.
I had a 150 diagnostic in the 1st wk of March.
since then, have worked through each of the LSAT books, and just took 1 PT (untimed - 157).
im fairly decent on LR, ok on LG (depending on the type of game), and having the greatest difficulty with RC.

However, I am a fulltime college student, with 3 jobs and barely any free time.

So when I DO have any free time between classes, homework and work, I cant seem to motivate myself to study for the LSAT rather than sleeping or relaxing..

After finals, I would have 2 weeks before the June LSAT.

I still want to take the June LSAT, leaving October as a back-up..

my approximate "free" times are:
sunday: 2-3hrs
mon: 6hrs
tue: 1hr
wed: 2-3hrs
thur: 2-3hrs
fri: 2-3hrs
sat- 1hr

My main question is, with only 7 weeks of prep time left, what are the best study techniques or plans? just take PT's using the timed-untimed method which takes like 7 straight hours?

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Re: Stressed - need a study plan

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:59 pm

I think there are quite a few posts about study routines and methods around these forums. The only thing I think is really worth repeating is: Whatever you do, don't take the test if you're not PTing a few points above where you want to score. Don't show up on test day thinking you'll go clutch, or that it'll magically be easier than PTs.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 pm

lsatblog.blogspot.com

Prep plans available for short term study period, but it seems like your schedule is pretty crammed. Why not wait till October?

DivineDesign007

New

Post by DivineDesign007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:I think there are quite a few posts about study routines and methods around these forums. The only thing I think is really worth repeating is: Whatever you do, don't take the test if you're not PTing a few points above where you want to score. Don't show up on test day thinking you'll go clutch, or that it'll magically be easier than PTs.
thats great advice.. ive been checking out several of the study routine posts on the forum, most however seem to allocate more hours per day than i can spare :/

do u happen to know if I can switch my test date as late as the day before (depending on where im PTing by then)?
and would switching the date still count June as one of my 3?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 pm

DivineDesign007 wrote:
doing_it_in_a_car wrote:I think there are quite a few posts about study routines and methods around these forums. The only thing I think is really worth repeating is: Whatever you do, don't take the test if you're not PTing a few points above where you want to score. Don't show up on test day thinking you'll go clutch, or that it'll magically be easier than PTs.
thats great advice.. ive been checking out several of the study routine posts on the forum, most however seem to allocate more hours per day than i can spare :/

do u happen to know if I can switch my test date as late as the day before (depending on where im PTing by then)?
The deadline to change test dates without it showing up on your LSAC CAS report is May 15th.

If you don't postpone by then you'll end up with one of three things on your CAS report: a reported score if you take it and don't cancel, a cancel if you take it and cancel, or absent if you decide to not show up on test day. The first two count as one of your allowed 3 takes in two years, an absent does not.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/test-dates-us-june11.asp

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DivineDesign007

New

Post by DivineDesign007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 pm

emarxnj wrote:lsatblog.blogspot.com

Prep plans available for short term study period, but it seems like your schedule is pretty crammed. Why not wait till October?
wow thats a great site!

Honestly, I just know that if I decide to wait until October, I wont push myself to study at all the next 6 weeks (until after finals) and then i would have lost all that I learned in the past month and a half (which are 2 week intensive studies on LR, LG and RC respectively using PT sections, and reading/doing the relevant chapters in McGraw Hills, Kaplan, and Princeton Review books - and the LG bible).

Plus I want to have a back-up that ensures plenty of study time should I need it.

If i took the October, and did awful, Id be stuck in the same place I am now, juggling school and work for prep time for the Dec Test, with much more pressure than I have now, since it would be my last chance. Thats y im trying to do June. :)

DivineDesign007

New

Post by DivineDesign007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Jeffort wrote:
DivineDesign007 wrote:

The deadline to change test dates without it showing up on your LSAC CAS report is May 15th.

If you don't postpone by then you'll end up with one of three things on your CAS report: a reported score if you take it and don't cancel, a cancel if you take it and cancel, or absent if you decide to not show up on test day. The first two count as one of your allowed 3 takes in two years, an absent does not.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/test-dates-us-june11.asp
Thanks!!!
I definitely didnt know that..

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 pm

DivineDesign007 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:lsatblog.blogspot.com

wow thats a great site!

Honestly, I just know that if I decide to wait until October, I wont push myself to study at all the next 6 weeks (until after finals) and then i would have lost all that I learned in the past month and a half (which are 2 week intensive studies on LR, LG and RC respectively using PT sections, and reading/doing the relevant chapters in McGraw Hills, Kaplan, and Princeton Review books - and the LG bible).

Plus I want to have a back-up that ensures plenty of study time should I need it.

If i took the October, and did awful, Id be stuck in the same place I am now, juggling school and work for prep time for the Dec Test, with much more pressure than I have now, since it would be my last chance. Thats y im trying to do June. :)
I've heard some pretty bad things regarding the McGraw-Hill LSAT book, but maybe someone else can chime in on that, since I've never actually seen it. I'm studying now for the October test, and to a degree I am putting all my eggs in that basket. At least if you don't do as well as you would like in June, you can still retake and apply for 2012, though obviously you don't want to take the test if you don't feel ready.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Anyway you can quit one of your three jobs or get time off? Seems excessive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”